Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help: dual disc on 13 spoke mag?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 07:44 PM
AKIRA56
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help: dual disc on 13 spoke mag?

Have spokes on my 99 fxdx. Picked up a front 13 spoke mag with 3/4" bearings. When I pulled my spoke wheel and disc to mount up to the mag…the disc sits on top of the shoulder on the mag hub (disc seats around the shoulder and flush with mounting surface on spoke hub).

Doesn't seem right. Can you point me in the right direction? Will these disc not work with the mag wheel?

Spoked wheel hub

Mag wheel hub

Current disc

Old 02-22-2015, 12:17 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,387 Likes on 2,951 Posts

I have the 9 spoke wheels. They started out all "silvery" but over the years have become as filthy as your wheels! Must be a "Sandy Eggo" thing!

Old 02-22-2015, 01:15 AM
AKIRA56
Advanced

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
I have the 9 spoke wheels. They started out all "silvery" but over the years have become as filthy as your wheels! Must be a "Sandy Eggo" thing!
yea. Those spokes are dirty! Need to figure out if these discs are going to work with the mags.

Old 02-22-2015, 08:00 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 440 Likes on 246 Posts

Have spokes on my 99 fxdx. Picked up a front 13 spoke mag with 3/4" bearings. When I pulled my spoke wheel and disc to mount up to the mag…the disc sits on top of the shoulder on the mag hub (disc seats around the shoulder and flush with mounting surface on spoke hub).

Doesn't seem right. Can you point me in the right direction? Will these disc not work with the mag wheel?
------------------------------------
You are truing to put a tapered bearing old style rotor onto a sealed 2000 & above hub. The rotor register's are not the same as you see. You can turn the rotor carrier to fit the new 2.220" rotor register.

Old 02-22-2015, 11:21 AM
AKIRA56
Advanced

Originally Posted by FastHarley
------------------------------------
You are truing to put a tapered bearing old style rotor onto a sealed 2000 & above hub. The rotor register's are not the same as you see. You can turn the rotor carrier to fit the new 2.220" rotor register.
Thanks! That's what I was thinking. Are the new style rotors that come off sealed 2000+ hubs a direct application with the new mag/hub and my existing brake calipers? I know I will probably need fresh spacers, but anything else to be aware of?

Do I have to stick with floating rotors or can I consider fixed rotors as well?

Old 02-22-2015, 05:29 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by AKIRA56
Thanks! That's what I was thinking. Are the new style rotors that come off sealed 2000+ hubs a direct application with the new mag/hub and my existing brake calipers? I know I will probably need fresh spacers, but anything else to be aware of?

Do I have to stick with floating rotors or can I consider fixed rotors as well?
* new mag/hub....my existing brake calipers?
<<< Do not know what you have. No guessing from me. You must measure.

* Stick with floating rotors.... fixed rotors as well?
<<< No difference if it is the same diameter.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:14 PM
AKIRA56
Advanced

Picked up new rotors to fit the mags. Mounted up and have no clearance between disc and fork legs. The mounting bolts for the disc hit the legs and I cannot rotate the wheel. Damn

I can get about a 1/4" of spacers between bearings and forks, but doesn't seem to be enough.

What now…do I have a mag that will not work? Are certain year mags wider at the hub? What am I missing.

Old 02-27-2015, 04:16 PM
AKIRA56
Advanced

Took measurements from both wheels with the rotors mounted. Measured from outer edge of rotor to outer edge of rotor.

On my stock spoke wheel with dual disc, I measure 4 and 7/16"
On the mag wheel with dual disc, I measure 4 and 11/16"

1/4" difference.

My guess is that the mag I have is not compatible with my 39mm front end? Looks like I will be in search of a new mag. I already have dual rotors for 99 down and 2000 up. Is there part # or something marked on mag wheels that will let me know what year wheel I am looking at? Was going to look for 2000 up and go with sealed 3/4" bearings. Any advice here?

Just want to get rid of the spokes and into the 13 mags.

Old 02-27-2015, 04:28 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by AKIRA56
Took measurements from both wheels with the rotors mounted. Measured from outer edge of rotor to outer edge of rotor.

On my stock spoke wheel with dual disc, I measure 4 and 7/16"
On the mag wheel with dual disc, I measure 4 and 11/16"

1/4" difference.

My guess is that the mag I have is not compatible with my 39mm front end? Looks like I will be in search of a new mag. I already have dual rotors for 99 down and 2000 up. Is there part # or something marked on mag wheels that will let me know what year wheel I am looking at? Was going to look for 2000 up and go with sealed 3/4" bearings. Any advice here?

Just want to get rid of the spokes and into the 13 mags.
Just put on a 2000 ~ 2005 lower fork sliders and be done with it. You should spend no more than $25 + you need the newer model twin cam calipers. You can get them off of a 2000 ~ 2007 bagger. Again cheap because no one wants them. 300mm bagger rotors and brembo calipers off of a 2008 ~ current model, see pricing on new take-off's who changed to chrome. Find them on Flee-Bag.

Old 02-27-2015, 06:29 PM
AKIRA56
Advanced

Originally Posted by FastHarley
Just put on a 2000 ~ 2005 lower fork sliders and be done with it. You should spend no more than $25 + you need the newer model twin cam calipers. You can get them off of a 2000 ~ 2007 bagger. Again cheap because no one wants them. 300mm bagger rotors and brembo calipers off of a 2008 ~ current model, see pricing on new take-off's who changed to chrome. Find them on Flee-Bag.
I was hoping it would be an easy wheel swap. Haha..never easy

So new lower sliders with dual disc mounts from a front end from a 2000-2005, twin cam calipers from a 2000-2007 bagger and I will be good? What's different about the sliders? Caliper mounts further out from my current 1999 sliders?

thanks for the help. Just want to make sure I get this all sorted and get it right!

Last edited by AKIRA56; 02-27-2015 at 06:45 PM.

Quick Reply: help: dual disc on 13 spoke mag?