Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Worried how I will get low riser in ny shed?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 01:03 AM
ghicks80
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Zack1
Ride that baby in! I wish I could ride mine in... the front door of my house is to narrow I have to come in at an angle and turn the bars all the way one way then walk it through then cut the bars the other way it's a pain in the *** but I'm looking at getting a shed this spring
Lol I was the same way then I found a set of bars that fit between the door, now I've changed them again so might be back to pain in my ***.

Old 02-26-2015, 04:03 AM
unclericky
Tourer
Received 125 Likes on 57 Posts

Before I started keeping mine in the back room of my house, I kept it in a shed.
My ramp was about 14" tall. I built a landing 8'x6' to stop and gather myself before entering. I also had a similar setup on the other end for exiting.

Old 02-26-2015, 06:07 AM
Lowdowndirtyshame
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Post up a pic of the shed and ramp before you start taking people's advice.

Old 02-26-2015, 06:25 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by holdnon72
Hoping you guys could offer some tips on getting my low rider into my shed. Bringing bike home from dealer Saturday. My shed is about 6 inches up off the ground. I bought a 70" long ramp by 48" wide. So it's not steep at all. I don't think I will be able to ride it into my shed because the doors are on the long side of my shed. Meaning I only have 10' ft. To ride the bike into. I remember on my demo ride it was pretty hard to push around. Now I'm worried if I will be able to push it up the ramp? Backing out of shed should be ok downhill cause I can lean bike on my hip and ride the brake. Please post up any ideas or tips for getting it up the ramp. Thanks
Im confused... you say you have 10 ft. to ride the bike into? Are you saying you have a 70" ramp to use in an area thats only 10 ft. wide?

You also mentioned "I remember on my demo ride it was pretty hard to push around". (I'm assuming you dont have much experience with heavy bikes?) I'd recommend sitting on the bike and duck walking it up the ramp while feathering the clutch and having a buddy or two spotting for you until you get comfortable.

Oh ya... Do yourself a big favor and also sit on the bike when backing down the ramp. If its wet and smooth surfaced, be ready for the front tire to skid if/when applying front brake.

Good luck & ride safe

Old 02-26-2015, 06:30 AM
Mr Bentwrench
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I backout downhill out of my garage. I must be on the bike for stability and after an initial shove to get it moving, I just let gravity take over. I ride the front brake to control my speed. Oh and its ok to stop anytime you need to along the way.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:22 AM
2500hdon37s
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,549 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by ynots
Im confused... you say you have 10 ft. to ride the bike into? Are you saying you have a 70" ramp to use in an area thats only 10 ft. wide?

You also mentioned "I remember on my demo ride it was pretty hard to push around". (I'm assuming you dont have much experience with heavy bikes?) I'd recommend sitting on the bike and duck walking it up the ramp while feathering the clutch and having a buddy or two spotting for you until you get comfortable.

Oh ya... Do yourself a big favor and also sit on the bike when backing down the ramp. If its wet and smooth surfaced, be ready for the front tire to skid if/when applying front brake.

Good luck & ride safe
Also a good idea to keep the bike in gear and use the clutch as a brake as well when backing down, with the bike shut off obviously. That way you don't have to worry about picking up speed shall the front tire skid, but at a 1/12 rise I don't see it being an issue.

Biggest tip is just stay on the bike. Use engine power up and brakes back down. Your legs will get stronger and you'll get used to the bike's weight, it's not that bad. I'm a little dude at 5'9" and 135lbs max and I don't have a problem backing my street bob up 99.9% of the time.

Old 02-26-2015, 10:04 AM
Lowdowndirtyshame
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could always just spend 40 or so bucks on 2x4 and plywood and build a nice wide ramp. That's what I did. Haven't driven my fat bob up it yet but my 500cc can am 4 wheeler goes up with tons of room on either side. I brace the middle of the ramp with a couple cinder blocks and it's very solid. 4 wheeler prolly weighs 500 lbs and I weigh 260. My brother has also parked the bike there and he is around 350. No problem for the weight.

Old 02-26-2015, 10:26 AM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a somewhat steep concrete ramp going into my shop in my pole building. I normally just ride it in, but I can push it in too if I want to. Once you get some experience handling, parking, and moving the bike around you'll be fine. It's all about knowing where the breaking point is balance wise. When backing out though, I do recommend sitting on the bike and using your brakes for control. Be careful and take your time, and you will get the hang of it. Confidence will come with experience.

Old 02-26-2015, 03:59 PM
holdnon72
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks so much for all the replies!
Power walk/ duck walk....that's it!
I totally forget they even tought us that at the rider class. They made us power walk the bikes using friction zone before we actually rode them.
Backing Down while on bike, in gear clutch in, bike off....that all makes sense! Thanks so much....

Old 02-26-2015, 04:33 PM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team

Received 734 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by holdnon72
...They made us power walk the bikes using friction zone before we actually rode them.....
I've never heard of this talk, for that matter, this all sounds like three blind men describing an elephant Wish we had a photo of the obstacle you're up against but what ever happens.....don't screw up!

Exhibit (A):

Quick Reply: Help! Worried how I will get low riser in ny shed?