Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What TB?

Old 03-04-2015, 12:13 PM
XFXDX
Road Master
Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
Default What TB?

So, I'll be installing an S&S T111 crate motor. I was planning on using the stock throttle body, but am starting to consider upgrading. What size, and / or manufacturers should I be considering? I think S&S suggests their 58mm. Do I need to go that big? Is it thAt big? Would an SE 50 work?

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-04-2015, 12:31 PM
vdop
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Se 50 does not work very well and will not work on your bike without modifications. There's a kuryakyn 57mm for 01-05 on eBay right now for $275 obo, that would work great.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:18 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Might find a 2001- 2005 HPI 55mm also.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:35 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by HD Pilot
Might find a 2001- 2005 HPI 55mm also.
YEPPER HPI is what your looking for, don't worry if you get one that's too big it will work fine with your 111 and be even better if you eventually modify the heads. With the capacity of the 58 at least you can have peace of mind that it's not pumping at it's limit, it will have breathing room if you know what I mean.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:39 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

1999-’01 EFI engines equipped with Magneti Marelli fuel injection will require a performance tuning module such as the DynoJet® Power Commander® 3 or S&S VFI module. The stock duel-bore EFI throttle body is not adequate for T111 or T124 engines. The S&S 58mm EFI single bore throttle body is highly recommended to achieve maximum performance.
Maybe this will help
Don't cut it short now, get all you can get.

Old 03-05-2015, 06:35 AM
vdop
Road Master

No dyna has ever come with magnetti marelli (thankfully).

Sure hpi is great, but not the only tb out there just cause they're popular online right now. This isn't an all out, high hp, every last 1/2hp counts motor. If you can justify the price of the hpi work of art get a 58. If you want the same performance for almost 1/3 the price, the kuryakyn wild things will work great. Either one will support 140+hp, I'd spend the extra $500 elsewhere, but that's just me.

Edit: there's another one on eBay for $255 shipped, someone should scoop these things up, I'm about to just to have it.

Last edited by vdop; 03-05-2015 at 06:46 AM.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:20 AM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by vdop
No dyna has ever come with magnetti marelli (thankfully).

Sure hpi is great, but not the only tb out there just cause they're popular online right now. This isn't an all out, high hp, every last 1/2hp counts motor. If you can justify the price of the hpi work of art get a 58. If you want the same performance for almost 1/3 the price, the kuryakyn wild things will work great. Either one will support 140+hp, I'd spend the extra $500 elsewhere, but that's just me.

Edit: there's another one on eBay for $255 shipped, someone should scoop these things up, I'm about to just to have it.
I threw out the HPI option thinking maybe XFXDX could find a used one for a reasonable price. I got mine for about $400 with the fuel injectors included but for new, I agree the Kuryakyn sounds like the ticket.

I know there was a thread over at HTT a year or two about going too big on the tbs - some said just go big, some mentioned throttle being too touchy at low rpms. Anyway, I wanted a 51mm HPI but could not find a deal on one so I got the 55mm. I do find that my throttle is touchy, not painfully so but if I had my rathers I would take the 51mm size. Just trying to put out a thought on not going too big.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:46 AM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 201 Likes on 154 Posts

I'm with PILOT. Going to big isn't thenbest always......you may loose bottom end and to big of a TB will be hard to tune.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:06 AM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by HD Bobber
I'm with PILOT. Going to big isn't thenbest always......you may loose bottom end and to big of a TB will be hard to tune.
Looks like HTT is going to disect this debate again:

http://harleytechtalk.org/htt/index....c,80651.0.html

Old 03-05-2015, 08:22 AM
vdop
Road Master

Originally Posted by HD Pilot
I threw out the HPI option thinking maybe XFXDX could find a used one for a reasonable price. I got mine for about $400 with the fuel injectors included but for new, I agree the Kuryakyn sounds like the ticket.

I know there was a thread over at HTT a year or two about going too big on the tbs - some said just go big, some mentioned throttle being too touchy at low rpms. Anyway, I wanted a 51mm HPI but could not find a deal on one so I got the 55mm. I do find that my throttle is touchy, not painfully so but if I had my rathers I would take the 51mm size. Just trying to put out a thought on not going too big.
That's definitely a sweet deal on an hpi, I was just comparing new prices.

Nothing wrong with going big. Not like it's a 95", it won't lose on the bottom. What most people consider "losing on the bottom" is what's seen on a high gear 2k rpm wot roll on, extremely high load, unrealistic conditions. This internet dyno sheet "my d**** bigger" thing has trained people to only worry about that wot sheet instead of how the bike feels. IF it did lose a little there it would never be felt on the street because the bigger throttle blade will gain a ton at smaller throttle position openings where it will be felt. This can make the throttle touchy at low speeds but you get used to it and it also makes it very responsive, most people prefer that feeling. I've had great results with 58s on anything 103 and larger. Nothing at all difficult about tuning them either.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What TB?