Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ammo can for bags - pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 01:36 PM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DesertDyna
The 30cal ammo can would be a bit more narrow and not stick out so far. You got ME thinking now.... lol
Originally I was going to go with the 30cal cans. Go for it.
I may also buy some 30cal cans and do the same thing with them....all I would have to do it unbolt the 50s off of my brackets and bolts the 30s on if I wanted to change it up....5 minute job.

Yeah the Easy Brackets are bad ***....you could bolt anything up to them really....hard bags, soft bags, cans, or anything else you could think of.
They have the most solid mounting system I've seen with the hardware going on the bike being stainless steel. They won't move. Plus they lock, which is a bonus.

Old 03-05-2015, 01:38 PM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member

Hell I don't know either man, lol
going to do some experimenting & see what ends up looking right. I'll probably end up doing whatever mood I'm in on the day I decide to do it, lol

Originally Posted by BigDogIdaho
What about a gloss black to match your fairing? Or maybe that will look like add on parts that you didn't get for the bike....hell I don't know, so you probably should not listen to me! LOL
It would be really easy to remove and replace those with the handles still on, like was said before by Desert.
Maybe you got something with the wrinkle.....make them stand out, but blend in at the same time.
Using the brackets is freaking genius....you can have several different set ups if you want....saddle cans, soft bags, etc. I realize this is probably not what you are going for, but it would work.

Old 03-06-2015, 11:22 AM
BlueBobBry
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Other then the green it looks great. I would def spray it with a textured black. I'm going to look into those brackets. I want to do the same thing but have it detachable so I can use then on just long trips.

Old 03-07-2015, 01:53 AM
Pitchfork
Intermediate

This is some serious ingenuity, I'll be looking into trying those out this summer. Cheap and useful, sounds like a deal to me.

Great looking bike, i'm sure you'll make em fit the bike after some trial and not too much error.

Old 03-07-2015, 11:29 AM
07HDStreetBob
Cruiser

I did the same thing last year, needed something to carry some smaller thing. I did cut out the shock and reweld it though.

Old 03-07-2015, 12:11 PM
Ape_Hanger
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 07HDStreetBob
I did the same thing last year, needed something to carry some smaller thing. I did cut out the shock and reweld it though.

And they are a perfect fit for the theme of your bike.

Old 03-07-2015, 01:53 PM
Chicago Ken
Road Warrior
Received 345 Likes on 159 Posts

Great ideal. I think wrinkle black power coat would be the way to go.
Easy to touch-up if they get scratched. Over time the powered coat would hold up better than paint.
Thinking the orange would be a pain to match + would cost way more to do.
Sometimes glossy paint doesn't look right on wavily metal surfaces.

Last edited by Chicago Ken; 03-07-2015 at 02:00 PM.
Old 03-10-2015, 01:59 PM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member

Ok, so I ended up coating them with truck bed liner coating. I prepped them really well, and used the Rustoleum truck bed coating in the rattle can and took my time. I can say I'm pretty damned happy with how it turned out. Hard to tell from the pics, because they don't do them justice, but the coating almost exactly matches the primary/engine case coating, which also matches the coating on the Easy Brackets.

I did end up removing the handles....they were being a pain in the *** while I was trying to apply the coating, and I knew they would rattle anyway, so I cut them off.

I may buy a set of .30cal cans and coat them the same way and have another option if I want to put the small ones on.

I used stainless bolts to attach the cans to the brackets, so I'll never have a corrosion issue there, or with the cans.

I have about $190 in the whole setup.

The brackets lock, so nobody is going to steal them. I can have them both on & off in less than 15 seconds. I may have finally found a setup for carrying small **** that I like. Cheap, functional, water tight, and I think they look descent.

On a side note....I bought the brackets with the longer bolts so I could also install HD quick detach hardware in the process. I don't have a sissy bar right now, but I will at some point. This also serves another purpose for me....moves them farther away from the bike, and allows for more shock clearance. I also mounted the cans to the rear of the brackets instead of centered for the same reason...extra clearance.

Attached Thumbnails Ammo can for bags - pics-1.jpg   Ammo can for bags - pics-2.jpg  

Last edited by Sharkman73; 03-10-2015 at 02:07 PM.
Old 03-10-2015, 02:35 PM
AladinSane
Cruiser

I did a similar set up using ghost brackets I picked up from a forum sale. I like the look of ammo cans, inexpensive, durable....they do rattle a lot but I do not mind.

Attached Thumbnails Ammo can for bags - pics-ammobag.jpg  
Old 03-10-2015, 04:35 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

Can you get the half of the brackets that are attached to the bags? Seems like it would be the easy way to go for different bags. You could switch between your saddle bags and saddle cans super easy that way.......

Quick Reply: Ammo can for bags - pics