Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 Dyna Street Bob Build thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 05:11 AM
union53
Road Captain
Received 88 Likes on 68 Posts
Default 2015 Dyna Street Bob Build thread

I thought there might be some interest here in me maintaining a build thread for my new bike. The intent is to have it mostly finished before riding season. With the winter we have had I'll have a few extra weeks. The only thing that may delay it being 100% is any parts I have to get made.

Current plan although this may change as we go is...

New shocks
New front end
New seat
Power vision
Exhaust
Oil cooler
Air intake
Sissy bar
True track or Sputhe stabilizer. (Not sure what one yet)

There may be other addition or subtractions as we go. Most of the bolt on stuff I should have in a week or two. Any custom stuff might take longer depending on how busy the shops are.

Day one.

Measurement day and time to make a plan.

Name:  20150306_172442_zpspl3mi0ni.jpg
Views: 1102
Size:  110.3 KB

The covered machine behind the bike is a computrack machine. It's used to measure motorcycles. It will tell us if there are any bends, twists or misalignments in the bike. It also calculates the geometry and we can input changes we want to make and see how that changes to geometry and then make any adjustments to that. It will also help me figure out what I'm going to do with the triple trees and forks.

Last edited by union53; 03-07-2015 at 05:17 AM.
Old 03-07-2015, 08:47 AM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

You got my attention, no clue about your Computrack device.

This Forum could use another suspension expert!

What is the plan for the front end?

Old 03-07-2015, 02:02 PM
union53
Road Captain

Originally Posted by HD Pilot
You got my attention, no clue about your Computrack device.

This Forum could use another suspension expert!

What is the plan for the front end?
The front end is going to be a bit of a project. Luckily I have a set of WP USD supermoto forks left over from my supermoto days. The basic plan is to make them work but also convert the right side lug to hold a brake caliper. Going to run a dual disc setup. Its going to involve machining fork lugs so they will take the caliper I want and use the 25mm bearing, new axle, and a set of triple clamps. In the end its going to be pricey but it will get me a good working and braking front end.

Old 03-07-2015, 08:25 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by union53
The front end is going to be a bit of a project. Luckily I have a set of WP USD supermoto forks left over from my supermoto days. The basic plan is to make them work but also convert the right side lug to hold a brake caliper. Going to run a dual disc setup. Its going to involve machining fork lugs so they will take the caliper I want and use the 25mm bearing, new axle, and a set of triple clamps. In the end its going to be pricey but it will get me a good working and braking front end.
I was hoping you were going to do something easy to copy! Still will be interested in your mods, have fun.

Old 03-08-2015, 06:46 AM
CJeep
Road Captain
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Bike looks great. Can't wait to see the build.

Also, now I know who to bug in case in need more jackstands. Wow.

Old 03-08-2015, 04:11 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

I am so in

Old 03-08-2015, 04:33 PM
union53
Road Captain

Here are the donor forks.

Name:  20150308_161643_zpspugjpwsw.jpg
Views: 826
Size:  159.8 KB

Origanlly I was going to use a set of GSXR forks. They have the same axle size as the Harley. Was hoping to get away with a set of clamps and maybe a different length axle. Unfortunally they are way to short to preserve the look and the handling of the bike.

The forks above will have to be shortened which is a lot easier then extending. The unfortunate side of these forks is the axle is 27 or 28mm and they are only set up for single disc. To achieve what I'm going for I have to get a set of forks lugs made for these and an axle. I'm hoping to finish these 100% complete by next season. The hold up will be time to engineer the parts (fork lugs, axle, triple clamps, and steering stem), time to manufacture the parts, and the money to pay for them plus whatever brake calipers that I'll be running.

Will probably do the first round of bolt on parts ordering this week.

Old 03-15-2015, 07:56 AM
union53
Road Captain

Ok so nothing to show yet. I did start ordering parts. Hopefully most will be in by the end of this week and the modding can start.

Currently in hand...
Rear turn signal relocation brackets
Detachable sissy bar mounts
Rear peg mounts

Currently on the way...
Plate relocation bracket.
True track

Currently being made...
Sick Saddles diamond pleated seat and passenger pillion.
Ginz Hellbent monolith sissy bar with detachable hardware.

Ordering this week and should have by the end as long as it's in stock...
Ohlins shocks
Power vision
Jagg slim line oil cooler
Vance and Hine big shots
Fork bag
Few small items like nuts and bolts.

In planning stage
New front end. In a moment of clarity I've decided to go with a single disc setup for now. Have to figure out spacing, make an axle, and triple clamp. I'll save probably $2000 in machining parts by staying single disc for now. We will setup the clamp spacing so we can change to dual disc later.

The question I have is how much detail do you all want me to go into? I can document each step I take. It will probably take me four to five times longer to do anything and I'll end up with a lot of photos. I don't mind taking the extra time if people want this but I don't like wasting my time either.

Old 03-15-2015, 09:10 AM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member

IMHO what you are doing is extremely rare(talking about the front end), interesting yes but I doubt there would be very many duplicators if any. Maybe just a few photos with short blurbs would be great.

Old 03-17-2015, 08:29 AM
Outlawz
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking forward to the build! Thanks for taking the time to document & post

Quick Reply: 2015 Dyna Street Bob Build thread