Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Progressive Mono Tube for Dyna

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 11:24 AM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by ricerocket71
Just a quick update -
I did contact Progressive and they have responded that the mono tube's for my Dyna are being manufactured will be shipped out in a few weeks, I will also be purchasing Progressive 444 Series shocks (12" Length - Standard Rate Springs) to match the Mono Tubes - So I will be able to give you all a realistic - honest review of the Progressive suspension updates "hopefully improvements" to my Dyna.
(I will be testing these both as a Single Rider Total weight 170 lbs and with a passenger w/full gear Total weight approx 300 lbs)
and will attempt to supply a full step by step instruction sheet on how to adjust the damping on both of these.

Will keep you all updated as this advances - Until then i will be watching the four feet of snow in my yard melt away hopefully.
Cool- Good luck and hope the efforts pay off.

Old 03-20-2015, 06:52 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

I ended up talking with Ricor (Brian) for some time and went with the Ricor Intiminators for 49mm Dyna / Vrod, and Race Tech linear 1.0kg springs for 2013 FXDB. Brian is incredibly knowledgeable and very helpful. Even though Ricor did not list specific parts for the Breakout, he knows enough about all of the HD bikes to pick the right parts - Including springs from Race Tech. He also gave me exact instructions on oil, preload spacer, etc, to the "T"..

Lastly, he also suggested the Works rear Softail shock as a good mating component to the front setup.

Now that is service. He just made a customer for life and will get high mention when I complete the DIY post here in the Breakout thread.

Old 03-21-2015, 07:20 AM
VIN1800
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been please with Monotube set up. I was running ricors and traxxon springs and hated it, wasnt able to get dialed in. Just my .02

Old 03-21-2015, 10:30 AM
SquidHead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Progressive Suspension
Set up correctly, the cartridge front end performs very well. Like any suspension system, set up wrong it does not.
I wasn't gonna get into this, but that last reply is galling.

Set up correctly? It only has one adjustment: pre-load.

...and your instructions (which I had to download because they weren't included in my kit) say nothing about setting sag.

So, anyone who has been unhappy with the performance of this kit, must have set it up incorrectly?

I used the Race Tech method for setting sag which caused my front end to bottom out. Even with max preload on the ONLY adjuster, I still had too much sag and brake dive was horrific. I only weigh 160 lbs, so I can't imagine how bad the handling would be for someone 200 lbs. I ended up adding a longer spacer to get control of the brake dive, which of course made the rest of the ride harsh. It was so bad, that I had to stop on the side of the road after leaving the freeway to add preload so that I wouldn't bottom out on side streets. Rebound was so bad that after parking and getting off the bike, I could watch my front end slowly raise back up to its neutral position for about 30 seconds.

Originally Posted by Progressive Suspension
Unfortunately the more adjustment suspension has the more opportunity for it to be set up incorrect.
That statement is insulting and infers that Progressive's customers are too dumb to handle setting compression and/or rebound if you made it available.

Progressive answered exactly one of my email questions regarding the missing instructions, then after that, crickets. My calls didn't go much better:

"Is there anything else I can change other than pre-load to fix this?"
- No, that's the only adjustment.

"What about a different weight spring?"
- There is only one spring available for this kit.

"How about a longer spacer?"
- We don't recommend it.

"What do you recommend?"
- If you have pre-load right, it should be fine.

"So that's it?"
- Yes, that's all I can tell you.

Obviously, it wasn't fine, or I wouldn't have been asking for help. Maybe my particular kit was a lemon. The installation instructions were missing, so QA is suspect IMO. I'll never know because no one ever offered an exchange or refund.

Ricerocket71, I wish you luck with these, but I think you're going to be very disappointed by the "step by step instructions" for setting them up. There is just one note telling you which cap adjusts pre-load and which way to turn it. There is no "set up." You can read for yourself by downloading the instructions:
http://www.progressivesuspension.com...st%20WAPPS.pdf

At least you're off to a better customer support experience that some of us early adopters had.

Old 03-24-2015, 12:34 AM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Thumbs up

+1 - I wasn't gonna touch that either but you did, didn't you??

Non-technical folks cannot post general statements like "not set up properly" without sound reason / explanation (especially when an obvious knowledgeable and unhappy customer is involved in the thread) and expect to get away with it. You'll get called out every time.

Last edited by LA_Dog; 03-24-2015 at 12:46 AM. Reason: my 2c...
Old 03-26-2015, 06:54 AM
ricerocket71
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just an update purchased the progressive rear shocks in prep for Suspension upgrade with the Mono-Tube Cartridge Kit being shipped for evaluation from progressive.

Ordered the 444 series : keeping stock length 12" Standard rate spring and chrome finish = 444-4036C list $669.95

Best Prices quotes:
Direct cycle: 470.35
Phat Performance : 454.95
Cycleplicity ; 452.21
JC motors : sale 428.77 Price paid yesterday = checked the web site today went up to 535.96

It does help to shop around: upgrades should start and a couple weeks
after the snow clears

Old 03-26-2015, 06:17 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Nice- You really have something to look forward to when the snow melts. Hell it's 90 degrees here in LA. I got some riding in for you today

Old 03-27-2015, 06:33 AM
ricerocket71
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Originally Posted by LA_Dog
Nice- You really have something to look forward to when the snow melts. Hell it's 90 degrees here in LA. I got some riding in for you today
I am really jealous have not been able to ride for a few months. today it's in the low 40's and raining, weather men said this morning temps will be dropping and changing to snow (W.T.F. this is suppose to be spring) anyway hope you have a great long and safe ride.

One additional update - received the Mono-tubes from Progressive last night - way ahead of the original expected date, hope to start this suspension update project in about two weeks

Old 03-27-2015, 08:58 AM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by ricerocket71
I am really jealous have not been able to ride for a few months. today it's in the low 40's and raining, weather men said this morning temps will be dropping and changing to snow (W.T.F. this is suppose to be spring) anyway hope you have a great long and safe ride.

One additional update - received the Mono-tubes from Progressive last night - way ahead of the original expected date, hope to start this suspension update project in about two weeks
Yep I feel ya- I lived in Tacoma Washington for awhile and I was just bugging out during the winter with not being able to ride. And when it warmed up enough to ride, I was getting pelted with small rocks from the road (city lays down small gravel everywhere when the roads are icy). That's probably why I refuse to live any farther East or North than So Cal. Only time you'll see me around snow is for the weekend snowboarding runs to Mammoth. Other than that, I'm all about the sunshine and warm weather.

Old 03-27-2015, 09:03 AM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

I feel your pain of not being able to ride. I wonder if there are any stats on dollars spent on modifications per bike that would compare people who can ride year round vs. those who sit and stare at their bikes for months at a time?

Good luck with the mono-tubes, looking forward to hearing your results!

Quick Reply: Progressive Mono Tube for Dyna