Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Glide or Street Bob I'm torn

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 04:24 PM
Fireguy88
Road Master
Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Street Glide or Street Bob I'm torn

I'm selling my 2006 road glide, hopefully soon. I've always wanted a street bob but I also really like the new street glides and think it would suit my needs more. I'm used to having a full fairing and stereo in front of me. But I want a bike that is lighter and more nimble. I've heard the new street glides handle just as well as any dyna. A big concern for me is my girlfriend's comfort. I think the street glide would be better for her. If I go FXDB I wouldn't have to put as much money down and I could customize it more to my liking. I thought about the Dead Center Road Captain fairing for when she is riding with me and long road trips. When she's not I could throw a quarter fairing on, likely Rifle Roadster. Would the mounting hardware be in the way of each other? I think I'd miss all the storage space the touring models have. But the beauty of not having to deal with a bunch of electronic bull poo sounds pretty nice. More gizmos = more problems.

I need advice, thoughts and opinions.

60% of my riding is small legs maybe on the bike for a half hour before stopping. 30% is group riding where we're on the bikes for an hour or so and stop. The other 10% is long rides, usually by myself where I'm doing 400 - 500 miles a day. I also intend to do an iron butt this Summer. I don't know if the street bob is very well suited for touring. See? I'm torn.

Last edited by Fireguy88; 03-22-2015 at 04:28 PM.
Old 03-22-2015, 04:36 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds to me like you need the SG in your case. The SB can do anything you want it to but it will cost more since the SB is as basic as it gets, with all the class of any harley I might add!
It was me I would get one fairing or winshield and call it even!
However it sounds like your heart wants the SB!

Old 03-22-2015, 04:48 PM
acky1946
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's my opinion. I,also,had a Road Glide but let her go when the hip really started to bother me. I needed something much lighter. So, I got a 2104 FXDC.
I threw on floorboards, soft bags, sissy bar, engine guard, Mustang seat, Memphis Shades Batwing, pullback risers, stage 1, etc.
Only thing I miss is cruise control. Never listened much to the radio. The Dyna's been excellent for longer rides and is a pleasure for short hops. I usually don't have a passenger. Bike has the 103ci so she really hustles.
Storage space is a bit less but I use a pack on the sissy bar which doubles as a backrest.
I'm very pleased I made the switch. I'm convinced the Dyna will keep me riding many more years.
Good luck with your decision.

Acky

Old 03-22-2015, 04:48 PM
Bountyhunter2099
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get the one you want. If you get what the ole lady wants, you'll end up being sorry and you won't bond with the bike. If you love the bike your riding, you'll love riding that much more. I don't think riding long distances 10% of the time warrants the SG. I don't know about everyone else, but my longest rides ever were done on a 1999 FXDX, and I loved every minute of it. I just sold my 2011 road glide and am keeping my 2010 wide glide. I enjoy the mods, and weight, and riding the wg much more. I will miss the radio though. But that's what iPods are for.

So to sum things up, just get what you want.

Old 03-22-2015, 04:58 PM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts

I say street glide. I would prefer the fairing for constant wind protection and I like listening to the radio. I would also like the storage.

Old 03-22-2015, 05:08 PM
rsking45
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

I would go with the street glide. I had one while in Daytona for bike week, and they are a sweet bike. I liked every thing about it and have drooled over getting one ever sense.I thought the SG was just as easy to ride as my WG is.Its just a awesome bike. As soon as my wide glide is paid off I'm getting one.
I dont think you would be dissapointed with one
What I really liked about it is riding with no wind in the face. It doesnt get any better listening to tones, cruising down the road with no wind in the face,but what ever suites you is what to get.

Last edited by rsking45; 03-22-2015 at 05:16 PM.
Old 03-22-2015, 05:14 PM
WideGlideFever
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I took my WG from coast to coast and it was great. I think with the right comfort setup you can do whatever you want with a Dyna just as good as a bagger. That being said, never owned a bagger so I dont really know what I could be missing......

Old 03-22-2015, 05:19 PM
hddan502
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd keep the Road Glide and add a Street Bob if I were you.

Old 03-22-2015, 05:58 PM
c-note
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Are you a gangster or a geezer?

Old 03-22-2015, 06:07 PM
DJY
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Road King.

Quick Reply: Street Glide or Street Bob I'm torn