Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pros/cons on Fat Bob

Old 03-26-2015, 12:37 AM
Jfree700grizzly
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pros/cons on Fat Bob

I've been looking for a bike for awhile now and almost bought a fat bob last year till a few things came up. Well I'm finally able to buy my first bike and Harley! Now I really like the fat bob other than painted logo and tail light but I really would like to know about issues, owners opinion/problem, how's forward controls feel for a 5'9" guy? How's it handle, decent power? I've never owned a bike but rode a few 10 years ago and always wanted one but couldn't afford one. I'm looking at a 15' vivid black or denim black.

Old 03-26-2015, 02:15 AM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Simply put , my own biased opinion , you can't go wrong.I'm about 5'9 with an inseam of 30" and sometimes I feel like I could stretch out more. Handling is a charm plenty of power to get you through.
However I can't stress enough the fact if you can go to a dealer and try a few models you won't be sure as every rider needs to have his particular needs met.
Good luck
The first corner I turned with my FB I knew this bike was for me!

Old 03-26-2015, 02:58 AM
jmb79
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Good advice... go to a dealer and sit on a few different models, and better yet, test ride a few different models, to see which fits you the best.

Old 03-26-2015, 06:33 AM
c-note
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Good advice. Test ride the Dynas, see what you like. Odds are pretty good you'll land on a fat bob - I've ridden a lot of motorcycles and the Fatbob has been the best hands down straight out of the box. That said any of the dynas can be adapted to you if you have the $$$.

I like the 15's new wheels and fenders but also don't care for the logo - I think I could look past it though, the black ribbon on orange looks better than the red on denim to me. Easy to find unmolested 2008-13's out there if you're willing to grab a used one, they have real emblems.

Old 03-26-2015, 08:55 AM
HyperM3
Road Captain
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

I love my 13 FB. Ive been through several bikes in the past 10 years and the FB is the only bike I have ridden that I want to actually keep. It is fun to ride, fast enough, handles great and with the mods I put on looks like nobody elses.

In the past year I have gone back to test demo the Fat Boys(low and slim) and more recently a Breakout. I really wanted to like those bikes, and there were things that I did like, but every time I got back on my Bob I realized nothing was better. I personally dont care for the new 14+ design but that's all relative. Good luck with your decision.

I forgot to add, Im 5.10 with a 32 inseam. The one thing I did find to be a huge comfort changer on my bike was putting on the 14+ seat. It brought me a little closer to the tank so my legs arent as stretched out to the forward controls. Not that it was bad before, but now the air doesnt really go directly up my pants. And for the record, I plan on taking my bike on a 1500 mile round trip to the tail of the dragon in June.

Last edited by HyperM3; 03-26-2015 at 09:00 AM.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:57 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 430 Likes on 258 Posts

When I wanted to replace my '01 FXDXT I tried a lot of bikes; even some that weren't HD's. As soon as I rode the Fat Bob, the die was set. I found a hardley used 08 with a 103 kit in it from the dealer, changed cams and pipes; motor now runs acceptably well (My FXDXT was way lighter and way faster). I also reverted to mids and changed the bars, both expensive changes, but absolutely love touring on the bike. Compared to the wife's 08 FXDL, it feels more planted and stable with that big front tire; even she says so when riding it...I'm 5'10" and can't wait for the next tour; fits perfect.

Old 03-26-2015, 11:05 AM
steves86ta
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Hi and Welcome.

I just bought a 2014 Fat Bob (brand new) about 2 weeks ago. I upgraded from a Sportster and couldnt be happier.

Originally Posted by Jfree700grizzly
I really like the fat bob other than painted logo and tail light
I bought a Denim Black bike, and i also was not a fan of the painted logo. Check the plastidip thread. If you like the denim black look consider spraying the tank with Black Plastidip. Not only does this just about match the factory denim black (its very very close) But it will cover up the Red stripes, and also preserve the paint. Something i am considering doing because i dont know how one would repair a scratch in the Denim finish. Personally, i LOVE the tail light.

I really would like to know about issues, owners opinion/problem,
I Love my Fat Bob. Its really at home on the freeway, and super super smooth. Just for comparison, my bike is in the dealer and they gave me a Low Rider as a loaner bike. I HATE it. Not nearly as smooth IMO and just feels not as refined as the Bob.

Problems: My issues are related to the dealership that did the PDI, not necessarily issues with the bike itself. I picked the bike up and within 10 miles noticed there was no gasket on the master cylinder, so took it back.

Currently it is in the dealer because the front end is knocking. Again i think its related to the PDI and i believe they did not set the Fall away correctly, or did not torque the stem nut down correctly. Supposed to let me know.

how's forward controls feel for a 5'9" guy? How's it handle, decent power?
I'm 5'8-5'9 on a good day. For me, (30" inseam) the forward pegs were comfortable at first. But after a longer ride on the freeway they seemed to be a little bit of a stretch, and my feet felt like they were getting "blown" off the pegs. I bought some Peg floorboards from ebay and they worked out perfectly in my case.

Other than that, The bike is a little bit wide for me, but since the floorboards i dont have an issue with that anymore.

Handling, this thing is not a streetbike. But it does handle excellently. It stops very well and just feels like its solid and on rails.

Power, im still babying the bike since its still "new" (516 miles) but the power is there. compared to my sportster 1200, the fat bob is Faster but not as "quick". what i mean is the sportster was way quicker until about 50 or so mph. The fat bob really shines from 50 up. The torque is very available and right there on the road. I think the sportster was quicker out of the hole because its so much lighter.

Oh, and it does GREAT burnouts btw.

Old 03-26-2015, 11:24 AM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Love my Fat Bob and have no regrets on buying it but a few mods will really help it shine, my most recommended for a new owner:

1) Stage 1 with 2>1 exhaust and a nice fuel tuner.
2) 30 T front pulley
3) Front and rear motor mount stabilizers(True Track, Sputhe, etc)
4) Mid controls, especially if you like to corner a bit and have shorter legs

As for that tail on the newer Fat Bobs.....almost getting used to the lights but that hanging license plate needs to be relocated or cleaned/shortened up.

Old 03-26-2015, 03:29 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,458 Likes on 1,406 Posts

There are no cons to the Fat Bob.

Old 03-26-2015, 04:29 PM
Rubline
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I agree with the comment about the stock pegs and how your feet feel like they are slipping off the pegs at highway speeds. I am thinking about purchasing the Airfoil pegs and heal rest but I don't want to spend close to 2 hundred bucks to find out that I don't like them or that they don't relieve the feeling of your feet slipping off. Other than the peg issue, I have no regrets buying my 2014 FB in Vivid Black.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pros/cons on Fat Bob