Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 Dyna leaking oil

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 03:31 PM
dudshep31
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2001 Dyna leaking oil

My t-sport is leaking oil from the stator wire outlet on the primary. I was going to change out the stator myself. I went by the dealer to get some gaskets and one of the service guys mentioned that it could be an inner engine seal leaking into the primary, causing it to fill up and leak. I check my oil level fairly regular, not every time but I do check it and I haven't had to add any oil. My question is, if it is an inner seal, how difficult is it to change out?

Old 03-29-2015, 05:23 AM
Turret_plug
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Easy, it's a drive in seal, and the ARE directional. You'll need a deal driver kit. Your tech is right, that seal will wear over the years.

I've done it once, but on an EVO with open belt, but it's the same concept for dry or wet primary. Use your manual, and watch some YouTube videos. I think the hardest part of the job is getting the primary sealed back up..... For some reason they always like to develop leaks after you crack them open!

Old 03-29-2015, 10:42 AM
CaptainHook
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ill second the primary being a problem child once you open it up... Ill second that whole statement actually lol

Old 03-29-2015, 12:47 PM
Turret_plug
Road Master

Originally Posted by CaptainHook
Ill second the primary being a problem child once you open it up... Ill second that whole statement actually lol
Finally..... Some validation!

Thanks CaptainHook

Old 03-29-2015, 02:55 PM
0lowrider1
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by dudshep31
My t-sport is leaking oil from the stator wire outlet on the primary. I was going to change out the stator myself. I went by the dealer to get some gaskets and one of the service guys mentioned that it could be an inner engine seal leaking into the primary, causing it to fill up and leak. I check my oil level fairly regular, not every time but I do check it and I haven't had to add any oil. My question is, if it is an inner seal, how difficult is it to change out?
If you don't need to add oil....then it's not leaking engine oil ..it's probably leaking primary fluid...

Old 03-29-2015, 06:29 PM
Turret_plug
Road Master

Originally Posted by 0lowrider1
If you don't need to add oil....then it's not leaking engine oil ..it's probably leaking primary fluid...
More good insight......

Old 03-29-2015, 11:30 PM
stephenhelsel
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Turret_plug
More good insight......
Yea...... if you never had to add oil, how is it leaking oil.......

Old 03-30-2015, 08:57 AM
0lowrider1
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

it's probably whatever fluid you have in the primary.. its not un common for it to seep a little bit, especially since its a 01..(like mine) .mine seeped a little until I changed the stator last year.. best advice to give, if your gonna work on it, get the HD service manual, where else can you get so much knowledge for under $ 100....best of luck

Old 03-30-2015, 02:36 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

if it were overfilling from the engine the oil would not be a nice clear or milky grey color. Get the bike level and check the primary fluid level. My vote is also a dried seal especially if it had to sit a while. How does the seal look from the outside, is it dry and shrunken or faded or nice and normal looking?

Old 03-30-2015, 09:23 PM
dudshep31
Road Captain

Originally Posted by maddghost
if it were overfilling from the engine the oil would not be a nice clear or milky grey color. Get the bike level and check the primary fluid level. My vote is also a dried seal especially if it had to sit a while. How does the seal look from the outside, is it dry and shrunken or faded or nice and normal looking?
The seal looks good from what I can tell. I'll put the bike on the stand and check all levels. Thanks for all the replies as well