Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to do with my gas tank gauge holes (besides using as beer holders)

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 12:56 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,508 Likes on 2,133 Posts
Default What to do with my gas tank gauge holes (besides using as beer holders)

I've had my new Low Rider less then 24 hours, and am already thinking about reconstructive surgery.

I'm not happy with tank mounted gauges, as I don't want to be taking my eyes off the road every time I look down at the speedo. I really want to move a single HD tach/digital speedo up to my soon to be installed T bar's. I have a good mount solution in mind which I used on my old FXD. However I will need to do something with the two holes left in the tank console.

I'm playing with the idea of ordering a new console, and having a shop weld in some blanks to cover the holes and powder coat it. But that's probably going to be expensive.

I saw some blanks someone here used, which look ok on a single console, but I think two won't look so good.

Alternately, I could leave both gauges where they are and just mount the single combo gauge on the bars, but I'm not sure if the harness will play well with the combination tach/dig speedo, in place of the two actual gauges. Plus it will probably look stupid with three gauges on the damn bike.

I don't want to go down the road of sourcing a FXD tank, just too costly.

It would make life easier if the 2015 parts fich's were out too.

Any suggestions?

Old 03-31-2015, 10:52 AM
MFC
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I cut the peice out that had the holes in it... (the speedo hole and the ignition switch hole)...
this gave me one big hole... I then made a template out of sheetmetal to fit around the one big hole.
I cant weld and didnt want to spend money I didnt have so I fiberglassed it with one of my layers being the metal template to add strength. only once the fiber was attatched to the dash I trimmed the edges and painted. pretty easy but a little time consuming.
Wish I had taken pictures of the whole process.
here are some before and after pics. hope this helps with some ideas.

Attached Thumbnails What to do with my gas tank gauge holes (besides using as beer holders)-image1.jpg   What to do with my gas tank gauge holes (besides using as beer holders)-my-bike.jpg  
Old 03-31-2015, 11:22 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,508 Likes on 2,133 Posts

That's pretty cool. I like it. I am thinking if I go the fabrication way, I may see if I can get rid of the hump completely and smooth it out some. I may buy a console once I can find a parts fiche for the '15's and have at it.

Thanks for the photo.

Old 03-31-2015, 01:24 PM
MFC
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Mchad
That's pretty cool. I like it. I am thinking if I go the fabrication way, I may see if I can get rid of the hump completely and smooth it out some. I may buy a console once I can find a parts fiche for the '15's and have at it.

Thanks for the photo.
Yea I was thinking that route after I did all the work... really dont wanna put the bike down right now weather has been way to nice. maybe in the future. keep posted want to see how yours turns out.