Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Soldering turn sig wires tips or Tricks?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 01:47 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Soldering turn sig wires tips or Tricks?

After moving my turn signals off the struts, I feel like the wires are just pulled a bit too tight for my comfort. The connectors are pulled halfway out from under the seat out towards the rear fender.

I am planning to extend the wires by a few inches just so that I can tuck them neatly back in. I bought a soldering iron, some 20 gage wire hoping that Should work since it was all they had, and some silver solder. I have some small heat shrink around as well I think.

I've watched some videos, but anyone have any tips or tricks to share? These wires sure are thin!

Old 03-30-2015, 01:56 PM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member
Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Do what's called the western union method:

It creates a mechanical bond first then you add the solder to further strengthen. Solder alone isn't that strong. Get the iron nice and hot, tin it (apply solder direct to tip of iron, coating it evenly), then touch it to the joint you made as above and touch solder to the joint. It should flow into the joint. Slide heat shrink over, hit it with a heat source (lighter, heat gun), and you're good to go.

Old 03-30-2015, 02:01 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks Matt,

With such narrow gage wires do I need to heat shrink each individually and stagger the cuts or can I wrap each completed wire in electrical tape then heat shrink the 3 wires in one tube?

Old 03-30-2015, 02:08 PM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member

Is the stock wiring 20ga? I think it's 18ga on my bike. Whatever it is make sure it matches. I forgot about staggering. Yes it's a good idea to stagger and shrink individually. Make sure your heat shrink is the right diameter or else it won't work well, should be slightly larger than the wire insulation. For really clean solder jobs I have a pair of Irwin wire strippers. They remove the exact same amount of insulation from each wire you set them to and automate the process. Wire and solder are cheap practice some before you jump in.

Old 03-30-2015, 02:10 PM
WG2011
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Genius, I will be using this

Originally Posted by mattVA
Do what's called the western union method:

It creates a mechanical bond first then you add the solder to further strengthen. Solder alone isn't that strong. Get the iron nice and hot, tin it (apply solder direct to tip of iron, coating it evenly), then touch it to the joint you made as above and touch solder to the joint. It should flow into the joint. Slide heat shrink over, hit it with a heat source (lighter, heat gun), and you're good to go.

Old 03-30-2015, 02:17 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

It may be 18g, I tried looking it up while in the store but got mixed results, shop didn't have anything less than 20g either. Some links said that anything from 18-22 should work?

I'll be joining sections in the middle to keep the connector pins intact so if stock is 18 then I would have a completed wire that would be 18-20-18. Think this will be a problem?

Old 03-30-2015, 02:19 PM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member

It should work but I always use same diameter wire when splicing. I don't know if it'll throw off your CAN-BUS.

Old 03-30-2015, 04:10 PM
Hammerhead Pat
Stellar HDF Member
Received 888 Likes on 533 Posts

As one of the more knowledgeable members has posted before, the way these things vibrate, soldering might not be the way to go. Perhaps use crimp style connectors instead.....

Old 03-30-2015, 04:35 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

Why are those better? I've not heard of that before

Old 03-30-2015, 05:01 PM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member

If you do it like I said it won't ever fail. If you want to go the lazy route and have room for bulk you can buy some posiloc connectors. They work well on a motorcycle.

Quick Reply: Soldering turn sig wires tips or Tricks?