Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chain conversion first 400 mile review

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 12:08 PM
davidsson
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chain conversion first 400 mile review

I was looking at swapping pulleys but keeping a belt drive until I found out about Zipper's chain conversion kits. I was really worried about losing the ability to do longer rides without having gas mileage make me stop every 100 miles. Between the pain that it is to swap the transmission pulley or sprocket and belt while wanting to easily change ratios I went with the chain.

I have been incredibly happy with it so far. The increased power is awesome. I went from the stock 2.06 ratio to a 25 tooth trans and 57 rear sprocket giving me a 2.28 ratio. And now I can do wheelies. The maintenance isn't fun but it also isn't hard. The factory grease or belray haven't left much in the way of residue anywhere except for a bit on the frame I've noticed, but it isn't so much I mind at all. The noise is hardly noticeable above wind and exhaust and only because I'm intentionally listening for it.

My only question for anyone with more experience dealing with chains is if I go for a 3000 mile tour to see family in Oregon, do I need to stop every 400 for the recommended cleaning and lube or can that be stretched to just before and immediately after the trip?

Old 03-31-2015, 01:17 PM
Ape_Hanger
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

I wouldn't do a 3000 mile trip without at least relubing the chain every few fill ups. My last bike was chain drive and I did the clean and relube every 500 miles, and sometimes had to do a quick relube in between.

Old 03-31-2015, 02:48 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

You might want to invest in a "O" or "X" ring chain when you're ready to swap out the chain in the future. Use a good quality Teflon wax lube to re-lube it as it won't fly off of the sprocket or chain all over onto the bike.

Old 03-31-2015, 03:08 PM
davidsson
Novice

The Zipper's conversion comes with RK x-ring chain. I had bel ray on hand and was recommended Motul wax by another rider. We'll see which does better at staying where it should. I've also heard good things about the dupont chainsaver wax. I'll run a mini trial and see which behaves best.

Old 03-31-2015, 03:24 PM
Reindeer
Supporter
Received 727 Likes on 403 Posts

I've been thinking about doing this conversion. I didn't realize it was recommended to lube a chain every 4-500 miles.

Old 03-31-2015, 03:24 PM
NuckaMan
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

RK Chain's are very good. Any modern Japanese made chain is gonna be solid and last many miles with just general care. Any idea on size? My guess is a 530, which is the beefiest street chain.

I've gone on many long-distance trips using chain driven bikes. For a 3K trip, I would set tension and lube it right before I leave, lube it some where half way through, and that's it. If your running through some really dusty conditions, may have to clean it and lube it a little sooner, but for general riding in decent conditions (even a little rain), my guess it would be safe to lube 1 or 2 during the entire trip. Should not have to adjust for tension unless your riding it extremely hard with alot of weight.

I didn't like Motul stuff cause it tends to fling off. I like the Dupont Chainsaver Wax cause fling factor was minimal and easy to get. Another great one is Original Bike Spirits Chain Lube, but had to buy it online. Another great low-fling chain lube.

Old 03-31-2015, 03:32 PM
davidsson
Novice

I went with the 530 chain, they have the option for drag race chain but my 103" doesn't need that big and it's non 0-ring. I'd rather limit the extra wear and lube needs when the 530 can handle way more than I need. I figured and hoped I could get away with carrying lube but didn't want to be trying to use cleaner and be scrubbing the chain in a parking lot a couple times a day. So far in pretty clean conditions I haven't noticed really any build up of dirt or grime. It's obvious there is some discoloration etc but the cleaning didn't seem necessary after 400 miles.

Old 03-31-2015, 04:08 PM
Ape_Hanger
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Reindeer
I've been thinking about doing this conversion. I didn't realize it was recommended to lube a chain every 4-500 miles.
Yeah, it doesn't seem like a big deal at first, but it quickly becomes a pain in the a$$. At least it did for me.

Old 03-31-2015, 07:06 PM
PWMORRIS
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 92 Posts

Been running a chain for years on the street and maintenance is no big deal.
Lube it before your long trip, then as said, maybe a quick lube during the journey, then when you get there. Don't worry about it.
Modern chains last a long, long time and RK makes a great chain.
BTW, what's your final drive ratio now?

Enjoy the trip!

Old 04-01-2015, 10:03 AM
davidsson
Novice

Originally Posted by PWMORRIS
Been running a chain for years on the street and maintenance is no big deal.
Lube it before your long trip, then as said, maybe a quick lube during the journey, then when you get there. Don't worry about it.
Modern chains last a long, long time and RK makes a great chain.
BTW, what's your final drive ratio now?

Enjoy the trip!

Thanks for the advice. Talking with more of the sport bike guys I know it sounds like the manufacturer recommended 400 mile service is kind of overkill. But when do manufacturers not overdo service recommendations.

From what I've heard the primary drive ratio is 1.35, the new final drive ratio is 2.28 (25 trans, 57 rear wheel), so the over all is 3.08. With my engine output it's pretty perfect I can get the wheel up if I work for it, but it doesn't come up every time I goose it.

Quick Reply: Chain conversion first 400 mile review