Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1200custom or Street Bob (2015)

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 12:26 AM
Nevnz
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1200custom or Street Bob (2015)

Hey Folks

First time posting and I’ve been scouring the forums in search of answers for this but I’m going to ask for opinions from you lot!

I’ve been riding my iron 833 for nearly 2 years (its been converted to 1200 engine/new heavy breather/forward controls), its been a great bike. The looks, ride and service from my HD dealer has been amazing. Slight problem is its just not been reliable :/. I’ve have about five different issues since owning it from new (2013 ex demo bought with 24km on the clock). These range from the battery just dying to having the whole ecm/computer replaced. The final straw was the return throttle cable snapping when returning from a long ride, I had to crawl it home. I’ve got no confidence coming out of the warranty period and it just ruins the fun of a ride if in my mind I’m constantly worried it’ll crap out.

So I’m looking to replace it with either a 1200custom or a Street Bob. This bike will be kept for 4/5 years so I want to get it right. Both bikes will need modding to fit, though I feel the Street slightly less (forward controls/pipes, maybe replace the mini apes), the custom would get full engine upgrades to make it faster than stock + pipes. I suppose my main question is in the long term what would be more fun the evo or big block engine?? I’ll be taking the custom for a ride later this week and currently I have a demo softail slim which is lots of fun. The weight concerns me a little in the twisty roads (which I enjoy the most!) but I’ve not had a chance yet to do anything but motorway/town riding. I’m in NZ so test riding a street bob isn’t going to happen and the slim is the closest I can get to it, or maybe a fatbob. I’m a bloke 5”8 average weight/build and yes over long distances the iron was uncomfortable!

So opinions please!

Thanks

Old 04-02-2015, 07:47 AM
alzylstra3
Advanced

I recently had the same decision to make between a Dyna and sportster 1200C. I went with the Wide Glide and happy I did. The extra weight isn't a problem in the twisties, it's not a sport bike but handles well. Suspension will be better on the dyna and the 6 speed transmission makes for a more versatile bike. The street Bob is nice, forward controls and some pipes make it really nice! For what it's worth I haven't had any problems with my 2014 Dyna in 3000 miles. Hope this helps.

Old 04-02-2015, 07:48 AM
Odin510
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

When I was harley shopping, I was considering a sportster to start with the intention of upgrading to a big twin. I decided on the street bob. I'm 5'8" and 150lbs. I would've regretted buying a sportster. The bob is a very nice riding/handling bike, IMO. Go for the bob!

Old 04-02-2015, 08:31 AM
Mr Bentwrench
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My 4 plug 1200S was much faster accelerating and carved corners far easier than my current '07 TC96 FXDL *** Street Bob. The dyna is a far superior highway bike though.

Old 04-02-2015, 08:40 AM
Jesse_81
Road Captain

Get a man bike. You wont regret it. I've ridden sportys and they just don't size up for comparison IMO.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:22 AM
2johnsonj
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Iron 883 to Street Bob

I traded in an iron 883 on a street bob about a year and a half ago. The sixth gear is when you really notice a better ride. Ergonomically it was a much better fit for me too(5 10). If you like the raw look of the iron 883 I think you will be happier buying a street bob. I'd certainly recommend riding several other bikes too before making your final decision.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:44 AM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 190 Posts

Get the Dyna.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:35 AM
MFC
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

STREETBOB obviously !!

Old 04-02-2015, 12:57 PM
Rockabillphil
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Funny cause my return throttle cable snapped on my iron too. I ended up trade it in last november for a '14 SB. I'm in Canada so i didnt have the chance to ride it a lot yet but so far it makes me regret that i bought the Iron in the first place.

Go for the Bob, you won't regret it.

Old 04-02-2015, 01:00 PM
STRES
Road Captain
Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

i vote for bob,
but I'm guessing we will all be slightly biased...

Quick Reply: 1200custom or Street Bob (2015)