Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally Did It! First Bike - 2015 Wide Glide

Old 04-26-2015, 05:56 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

If you are going to lose the rear fender edge reflector this is a much better option than a reflector to improve your visibility, the HD 73416-11 fender edge light: http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...der-edge-light

Old 04-27-2015, 06:08 AM
Edsal
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fender Reflector

Oh yeah. The second I turned the camera off I looked over at it and thought, "JEsUs! That's UgLy!" Pulled off pretty easily. I thing it was 80 degrees yesterday.

And yes, you should absolutely record your garage work. Even the smallest things like removing the reflectors is great for people like me. Visual people.

Originally Posted by TinCupChalice
Nice videos! I've never tried to do any videos of my garage shenanigans, that might be interesting

I'm sure it's just an oversight, perhaps a video editing issue, but you DID remove that gawd-awful rear fender edge reflector, right? If you didn't and plan to, FYI, heat it carefully, don't try and twist that one off without having the adhesive tape good and warm, you'll be surprised how easily the fender edge will bend, it's thin stuff, not like the old days...

Old 04-27-2015, 06:11 AM
Edsal
Advanced

Oh hell yeah! I've got it in my head that that's one of the things I'm putting on. It looks great! Was is hard to install?

Originally Posted by TinCupChalice
If you are going to lose the rear fender edge reflector this is a much better option than a reflector to improve your visibility, the HD 73416-11 fender edge light: http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...der-edge-light

Old 04-27-2015, 06:27 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Edsal
Oh yeah. The second I turned the camera off I looked over at it and thought, "JEsUs! That's UgLy!" Pulled off pretty easily. I thing it was 80 degrees yesterday.

And yes, you should absolutely record your garage work. Even the smallest things like removing the reflectors is great for people like me. Visual people.

Good deal, glad it came off so easily! My '13 sat on the dealer's floor for just over a year, I'd spent the year deciding if I wanted to get a 'new' style Wide Glide, up until this point all my HD's were older and carbed, when the dealer decided they were going to start using this WG as a demo bike I got my butt off the fence and made a low-ball offer before anyone else got to ride it, 1 mile on the ODO, all mine

When I got her home I immediately did a complete fluid change, while the fluids were draining I went after the reflectors and they were TOUGH, that adhesive had the time to have really taken a set, the rear fender edge reflector was the worst, I'm glad you were able to get yours so easily

If you get the chance, check out that fender edge light, it really does look nice and fills the fender edge well, I'll post up a quick how-to if you do decide to get it... it looks pretty cool all lit up

Edited to add: We cross posted! Easy install, the wire channel is already in place on the WG so it's pretty simple... I'll write it up!

Last edited by TinCupChalice; 04-27-2015 at 06:30 AM.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:13 AM
AlwaysHD
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Edsal
I still feel like I'm a new rider though. Always looking around to make sure no one is trying to kill me!

Well.....that's one of those things you should never stop doing.
Regardless of your experience.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:28 PM
Edsal
Advanced
Default Indeed

I couldn't agree more. I've put about 200 miles on it since it came in and I've learned many things riding on the streets of Atlanta. The biggest thing I've learned? All those people I thought were trying to kill me before, now I KNOW they're trying to kill me.

Originally Posted by AlwaysHD
Well.....that's one of those things you should never stop doing.
Regardless of your experience.

Old 04-29-2015, 10:02 PM
CincyRider
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sweet bike, congrats!

Old 04-30-2015, 09:19 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member

This is the .pdf install sheet for the fender edge light: http://www.harley-davidson.com/app-c...ts/-J05124.PDF

It's a rather easy install, a few tricks to make life easier. First, be sure the underside of the fender is CLEAN! I used soap and water then 99% alcohol to be sure, I used a hair dryer to heat the underside of the fender to be certain it was dry.

Test fit the light on the fender before you consider pulling the tape on the adhesive pads so you know exactly where you want it, that adhesive grabs quick. IF you do have the adhesive grab before you're ready to seat the light use the hair dryer to heat the adhesive pad so you can pop it back off the fender easier. Once you've got the light adhered to the fender heat the adhesive areas on the light with the hair dryer and apply pressure to activate the adhesive and get a solid bond.

Feeding the wiring harness is the most annoying part. I fed it through the fender into the seat pan area first and clipped it so it couldn't pull back through the fender then began sliding it into the wiring channel on the left side of the fender, it will follow the wire channel down the left side then across the rear of the fender, the trick is to have a small enough arm to get up in there, it might take a few minutes of bad words and interesting contortions to do it but it does make it around in the wire channel with a bit to spare... I managed to get a few bruises on my arms during that

The harness connector is straightforward, it's marked 1 and 3 on the wire cavities so you can't make any mistakes and the ends of the harness only go in to the connector one way.

Plug the harness in, tuck your wires into the seat pan area, replace the seat, turn on the ignition and see how pretty it is, test your front and rear brakes to be certain they activate the light, turn off ignition, open an adult beverage and admire your work

Old 04-30-2015, 09:26 AM
screamn_eagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1st of all congrats on the new scoot, and welcome to the world of harley.
2nd exhaust is a personal choice. there are tons of options out there. you really have to get what you like. different pipes have different tones. i am partial to a deeper sound. also slip ons have a different sound than an entire system. some pipes look or sound better than others. it is true that 2 into 1 pipes increase performance better than a tru dual system. my favorite pipes when i had my cross bones was a fatcat 2 into 1, but my 03 road king i was partial to the thunderheader 2 into 1 with a falsey for the other side. now that im older and the performance doesnt mean as much i just have bassani slip ons...you really need to find some bike nights or groups of riders and hear their scoots and ask questions.

Old 04-30-2015, 12:22 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

Bike really looks fantastic. Nice job and enjoy!

thanks also for the vids, reminded me that I need to get to my reflectors too

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Finally Did It! First Bike - 2015 Wide Glide