Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back to the drawing board.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 09:35 PM
Jfree700grizzly
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back to the drawing board.

So i had a setup I though would be nice on my new fb I'm picking up mid next week and found its not so good. I thought having the dealer install air intake, exhaust, and tuner I'd get a good setup and tune on their dyno. Well after goin threw the parts I wanted, SE elite air cleaner(told me didn't breather as good as others) Vance and Hines big radius 2-2(not the best performance pipe but mainly to loud for my area as cops are bad on loud bikes), SE street tuner( dealer said its a junk tuner and i wouldn't be happy with it).
So now After talking to the dealer and reasearching more, here is what I'm thinking now. Keep in mind I don't want top dog performance but better than stock but balanced with look.
Looking at a SE Chisel Hi air cleaner, black. ( I like the looks and looks like better flow), Vance and Hines Big shots staggered, black. ( better performance than 2-2 but not as much as 2-1. It has a crossover but not sure how good that works. I like the looks and a bit quieter so the cops don't hound me), Vance and Vince fuelpax ( dealer told me it's a good brand and easy to tune even on my phone.)
Now I wanted the dealer to do this so it was Dyno tuned but he told me they wouldn't Dyno it with just those add ons. Plus it's like $400 more for the parts plus labor threw them. So can i just plug this tuner in with these mods and it's tuned or do I need it tuned better? And any comments on this setup is appreciated. Dealer is waiting on a siren horn for the alarm that was suppose to be added. Btw u need 3 parts to have their full alarm system! If u don't like paying for Harley's name and it's and a big deal to u then don't buy one! Lol bought a jacket, gloves and helmet. Really makes me mad when I know a $200 jacket cost $400 cause Harley's name but at least be made in USA!! Nope Indonesia! Gloves from China!

Attached Thumbnails Back to the drawing board.-image.jpg  
Old 04-04-2015, 10:07 PM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team

Received 734 Likes on 504 Posts

1) Get a great 2-1.

2) Get the FM Stage 1 kit and Power Vision (they will set you up with a tune and all assistance after the fact).

3) Use your stock cover with the backing plate until you fully determine which A/C cover/system you want.

4) Do all this yourself and save a lot of money.

You will not need to dyno at your dealer.

So, there it is.

Old 04-04-2015, 10:40 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Ditto on the great 2 into 1 and Power Vision fuel tuner from Fuel Moto. I'd spend less time at your dealership and more time with a HD Service Manual, more satisfaction and more $$ leftover for extra mods!

Oh yeah, I would start buying leather from Fox Creek Leather. Congrats on the new FB, great choice....actually the best choice possible!

Old 04-04-2015, 10:42 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

Yeah I'd echo what Suede says. I do think though that if you like the looks of the Big Shots staggered to go with them. The crossover helps, and the difference in performance is literally a couple of HP, doubtful that you would feel it on the butt dyno.

If your dealer is charging for install, and you have a basic tool kit and a couple of torque wrenches, do the work yourself. It's a heck of a lot of fun, satisfying, and frankly fairly easy. I had never worked on anything more complicated than a bicycle when I did my exhaust and AC. Pretty simple, a few hours of work at the most.

For Tuner... That question is always going to start a fun debate , The Fuelpak is exactly that simple. Plug it in, pair it to your phone, find a map, download and flash. It's a great little device and gets you almost all the way there. Like Suede mentions, you can also pick up a whole package including AC, Exhaust (they do sell V&H) and a tuner through Fuel Moto. While they sell the Fuelpak, they also sell the Power Vision which is preferred by many and may give you more future proofing if you do larger performance modifications to your motor. Their packages are great value and you'd be hard pressed to find someone who has anything bad to say about their service. Most will say that either of these flash based tuners will get you 95% of all the power your engine has to offer, but for the full potential get a professional tune. I'd tend to agree but most of us (myself included) are pretty happy with a flash based tuner and then a couple of "auto-tune" sessions where needed. That being said, I fully intend to visit a professional shortly (not one that charges $400 though).

Good luck with your decision. It will all work out I'm sure. I wouldn't completely buy into your dealer's advice though!

Old 04-04-2015, 11:30 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

The Big Shots are louder, and less performance than the Big Radius. I didn't think it had a crossover.
I do find it odd too that the dealer is recommending AGAINST a Harley product (the tuner). The SE tuner is stated to have the most parameters for settings, far above others. (I know there will be all the anti HD guys chiming in on this). But no auto tune function. Which is a pain if you like changing things up.
I'm thinking you should go with what you want anyway, and maybe find a different dealer....

Last edited by BigDogIdaho; 04-04-2015 at 11:44 PM.
Old 04-04-2015, 11:55 PM
Jfree700grizzly
Cruiser

Thanks guys all good info! The dealer is actually real cool, family owned. From the salesman to parts and service. Never pressured me into anything and the clothing girl was worth talking to! Way better than the other dealer in my area. I like the dual pipes vs 2-1 because the 2-1 kinda looks rocket bike to me. They had a fatboy slim all decked out with a 2-1 and it sounded exactly how I wanted it but the look.... Now the dealer said the SE street performance tuned was junk and for emissions exhaust. He said either the SE race one at $450 or he really liked the fuelpax, said it was the best seller.
I've modded small motors from 36rwhp to 65rwhp and dealt with all the tuning with my pcv. I didn't want to do that on a new bike, but I'm not adding a cam, crank, bbk bored tb or hc pistons so it should be easier. I'm goin to look more into the 2-1. I'm sold on the fuel vision. Customer service is #1 in my book!
Also I wanted a Harley jacket cause well I've always wanted one! lol but I want throw over bags and chaps for cold long rides, I'll be shopping around for those. Also lookin into a windshield but like the 15" quick attach Harley one. I just can't wait to ride, I cant remember the last time I've feel so pumped for anything! It's only 45 all next week if that but I'm riding one of those days or im goin to loose my mind! Thanks guys for all the help it's really appreciate!

Old 04-05-2015, 01:15 AM
c-note
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Suede nailed it. fuel Moto power vision was the best decision Ever.

Old 04-05-2015, 01:44 AM
Jfree700grizzly
Cruiser

So I'm looking at these two tuners and the fuel pax is $340 and the power vision is $500 both threw Fuel Moto. Is the power vision really worth the extra money? I'm only adding intake and pipes. I'm not goin to do motor work ever.

Old 04-05-2015, 05:09 AM
jmb79
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jfree700grizzly
I'm not goin to do motor work ever.
Hang out on this forum long enough and you'll change your mind about this.

Old 04-05-2015, 06:20 AM
alzylstra3
Advanced

I did the big radius pipes with the SE air cleaner and SE super tuner and had it Dyno tuned by the dealer. It runs great but if I had it to do over I wouldn't. I would get whatever pipes you think look the best, an aftermarket tuner and skip the dyno. I spent a lot of money for a minimal increase in performance. I think a Dyno tune is only helpful if you change some engine internals. I would go with the V&H auto tune and save a lot of money! Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Back to the drawing board.