Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reduced Reach Forward Controls + Short Shots??

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 02:13 PM
jmerchant.1
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Reduced Reach Forward Controls + Short Shots??

I have a '13 Dyna Street Bob with Vance & Hines short shot pipes. There's a set of reduced reach forward controls I can get at a great pricel. Does anyone happen to know if the reduced reach ones will work with my V&H pipes?? I've read that because they mount an inch closer they do not clear the front of the pipe on a sportster. I don't know if that's true or not but would like to know if anyone has this setup on a Street Bob and experienced this potential issue. Thanks in advance for any input!!!

Old 04-10-2015, 03:39 PM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

I have the Harley reduced reach controls on my 06 Dyna Wideglide, and there was no problem with my Short Shots. Way more than plenty of room, like still over an inch clearance. A '13 Street Bob may be different, but I kinda doubt it.

Old 04-10-2015, 04:03 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

jmerchant sorry but there's two things wrong with your post 1st you make reference to reduced reach forwards but you don't say who made them 2nd you make reference to them not fitting a sporty which has no bearing on a dyna streetb bob.
If they are harley parts I'm not even sure they are compatible with the sporty being the smaller bike.

Old 04-10-2015, 06:11 PM
jmerchant.1
Cruiser

I'm talking about harley parts--the reduced reach forwards that harley makes for dynas (PN: 50700007). And I only mentioned them not fitting a sportster wondering if it would be the same issue clearing on a dyna model like mine. Hope that clears up what I was asking about.

Old 04-10-2015, 06:52 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

yes and sorry I didn't mean to be rude!

Old 04-12-2015, 11:40 AM
bessee
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reduced Reach forwards clearance

Have no experience with a Street Bob, BUT... when I installed the reduced reach kit on my Fat Bob removal or at least adjustment of the exhaust system is necessary to make the actuator rod possible to install in any way.

As far as the clearances go the only point of actual adjustment is right at the frames mounting point for the adjustment block. The actual spacer itself is ~1/4 " thick which offsets the actual footpeg mount 1/4" further out from the frame. It does make it the space tighter than OEM specs, the actual footpeg ends up 7/8" further back and 1/4" further away from the frame. There should be plenty of clearance for Short Shots.

There's one other specification that you should consider if installing a reduced reach kit. The reduced reach kit will put your ankle/calf really close to the exhaust pipes and even though the heat shields supposedly reduce temperatures it WILL be a problem with short legs.

I put a mineral/fabric heat shield over the exhaust at the position where my lower leg is closest to the pipes. Otherwise you'll probably sustain a burn or find yourself constantly readjusting your right leg position to compensate for the heat.

Old 04-12-2015, 12:04 PM
jmerchant.1
Cruiser

Originally Posted by bessee
Have no experience with a Street Bob, BUT... when I installed the reduced reach kit on my Fat Bob removal or at least adjustment of the exhaust system is necessary to make the actuator rod possible to install in any way.

As far as the clearances go the only point of actual adjustment is right at the frames mounting point for the adjustment block. The actual spacer itself is ~1/4 " thick which offsets the actual footpeg mount 1/4" further out from the frame. It does make it the space tighter than OEM specs, the actual footpeg ends up 7/8" further back and 1/4" further away from the frame. There should be plenty of clearance for Short Shots.

There's one other specification that you should consider if installing a reduced reach kit. The reduced reach kit will put your ankle/calf really close to the exhaust pipes and even though the heat shields supposedly reduce temperatures it WILL be a problem with short legs.

I put a mineral/fabric heat shield over the exhaust at the position where my lower leg is closest to the pipes. Otherwise you'll probably sustain a burn or find yourself constantly readjusting your right leg position to compensate for the heat.
Thanks bessee, very helpful!

Old 02-27-2017, 10:06 AM
jqb12
Road Master
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Just curious, did you end up installing the kit? Any issues? Found the same kit, I believe for $93 from V-Twin #22-1679. I'm also running the staggered short shots on my 12 SB.

Old 02-27-2017, 10:59 AM
jmeiers
Road Warrior
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

It works.... look in my sig pic. Exact setup you are asking about!

Old 02-27-2017, 06:12 PM
jqb12
Road Master
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Did the 1 inch or so difference (closer), really make a big difference when riding?

Quick Reply: Reduced Reach Forward Controls + Short Shots??