Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a dynometer tune still the best

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 08:32 AM
Mr Bentwrench
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Is a dynometer tune still the best

Getting ready to spend $500 on a complete full dyno tune this monday. Its just an '07 FXDL with an AN Stage I air cleaner and a pair of V&H straight shots. Don't have any immediate plans for any more upgrades. Runs fine I guess just a lot of decel pop right now. I just want to make sure the tune is fully optimized.

The shop is the only certified DynoJet shops in the area that has a dyno. This will included a license for I guess it would be the Power Vision that does not piggyback on the bike. He says the license is cheaper. He could sell me the actual unit for some more money but then it is one more thing sitting on my shelf collecting dust. Once I have a license, he can always retune it back on the dyno should the need arise.

I realize that this is a lot of money and I could get away with about $300 with a Fuel Moto unit but then I am using a canned map (albeit some really good ones I understand) that should be 'good enough' for my simple Stage I that I still may have to tweek to optimize. So for my $200 premium I think I'm getting a premium tuner with a custom dyno dial in. I also get a dyno sheet with base line and optimized curves. I guess I am especially interested in seeing first hand the A/F line and will probably be disappointed in the HP/TQ curve... but at least I will know what I am working with.

I short, $500 is a lot of money but I have it set aside. Is it really all that bad for a professional turn key dial-in with a Power Visvion on a dyno?

Last edited by Mr Bentwrench; 04-18-2015 at 08:38 AM.
Old 04-18-2015, 08:44 AM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Sounds like you've already convinced yourself, that it's 500 well spent. Depends on what 'you' want to do. You'll improve the bike's HP/TQ curve with a Dyno tune, even if you didn't do Stg.1.

Personally, I think 500 on a full dyno tune, for Stg.1 is not a good investment of funds. I'd wait till I did some cam/head work before I dyno'd it...but that's just me.

Old 04-18-2015, 09:08 AM
Mr Bentwrench
Road Captain

I guess I am convincing myself that the $200 premium gets me a professional dyno tune. I'd like to get out cheaper but I've wrenched on this salvage bike for over a year to get it back on the road and honestly, am about tired. Also, this is my first EFI bike and I don't think I am ready to tackle the ins and outs of performance EFI at lease at this time.

Also, I will be using a PowerVision unit which has some pretty nice features I may like later as I grow into EFI. The $200 is just my premium I pay to to know I have an experenced tuner set me up right and I my dyno sheet is my certificate to keep. Wish it was only a $100 but...

Old 04-18-2015, 09:11 AM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,510 Likes on 803 Posts

It all depends on who's doing the tuning. If he's good, then it's worth it. If not, it can turn out bad.

I'm very happy with the tune I got, and it improved it my bike a lot over what I had done myself.

Old 04-18-2015, 09:14 AM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

It is a pretty high price for a tune. 300 is more in line imo. EDIT: I guess you are paying $200 for the PV license and $300 for the tune. Just remember even though you own the license you cannot go to any other shop for a tune as he owns the tuning device that your bike is married to. If he is good you will like the results.

Last edited by qtrracer; 04-18-2015 at 09:17 AM.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:23 AM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

That is a good price IF the tuner is good. Have you heard good comments/reports on his work? Your bike will run much better with almost zero decel pop with a great tune. Most people talk about AFR/VEs being set great but I think the spark tables being set by a great tuner is what sets a dyno tune apart from autotuning.

Don't know why you would let the Power Vision gather dust if you owned it, it is a great moniter of all the info that runs through the ECM - I keep mine installed on the bars. With the PV you can moniter CHT which will keep you from every running too hot, and it also allows you to adjust VSS to dial in your Speedo perfectly.

Old 04-18-2015, 12:38 PM
XFXDX
Road Master
Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

For what it's worth, my "canned" map from Fuel Moto could hardly have been improved on when I had my stage 1 bike dyno'd. We adjusted, only slightly, some of the tables. Did I feel any seat of the pants improvement over the FM map? No. Was I happy to have a dyno done, and a nice print-out? Yes.

I didn't pay 500, though. In fact, I didn't even pay 300...

Old 04-18-2015, 07:42 PM
Tat2u
Road Warrior
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

My canned map from fuel moto for my 106 and cams was way off. I'd get any bike dyno'd but it would be better value for money to at least have some cams fitted and compression set right

Old 04-18-2015, 08:33 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by archergodwin
Sounds like you've already convinced yourself, that it's 500 well spent. Depends on what 'you' want to do. You'll improve the bike's HP/TQ curve with a Dyno tune, even if you didn't do Stg.1.

Personally, I think 500 on a full dyno tune, for Stg.1 is not a good investment of funds. I'd wait till I did some cam/head work before I dyno'd it...but that's just me.
I agree. If you are staying with Stage 1, a flash tuner such as Fp3 with a/f and exhaust will be money well spent for many reasons. If you will be doing additional upgrades as mentioned, then the dyno tune is one way to go, but once done, any additional upgrades will require a retune via dyno You may want to go to go to www.fuelmotousa.com and review options, then call Jamie at Fuel Moto and discuss what you are trying to get done and what you plan on spending.

Old 05-23-2015, 09:21 AM
Mr Bentwrench
Road Captain

As a follow-up for my trip to a DynoJet dyno, I thought my results were impressive with the PowerVision. My bolt on Stage 1 untuned baseline HP was 62.41 and tuned climbed to 72.76. Beginning torque was 72.75 and ended up at 83.77. I was expecting something in the 70-75 / 80-85 range which is about avarage for any decent Stage 1.

Overall, a PowerVision dialed in on their DynoJet dyno yeilded a 16% gain flat across the board. For gains like that, I feel it was money well spent. I feel good to have a dyno sheet in my hand too.

Quick Reply: Is a dynometer tune still the best