Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first Harley, 2014 Wide Glide

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 11:53 AM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts

Very nice, congrats!!!

Old 04-22-2015, 12:07 PM
kngpn
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,119 Likes on 2,675 Posts

grats, nice ride!

Old 04-22-2015, 12:53 PM
Military Vet
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys.

Have any of you been on a bike for a 2-3 hour ride with a backpack on? Never done that, but I was thinking of doing it this weekend. What should I expect? Any cautionary tales?

Old 04-22-2015, 04:09 PM
PeteT
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats. Enjoy the bike.

Old 04-22-2015, 04:16 PM
modular
Stellar HDF Member

Received 285 Likes on 184 Posts

Awesome color. I love Blackened Cayenne Sunglo. The flames really set it off, too!

I have ridden for long periods of time with a back pack but it was on a sport bike. No ill effects for me.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:56 PM
c-note
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

A sweaty back, but for me, what else is new? Ideally you can strap it down tight, waist and chest buckles help. I rode backpack on all the time to work before I got bags...no big deal.

Originally Posted by Military Vet
Thanks guys.

Have any of you been on a bike for a 2-3 hour ride with a backpack on? Never done that, but I was thinking of doing it this weekend. What should I expect? Any cautionary tales?

Old 04-22-2015, 10:05 PM
Ironcleveland
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by c-note
A sweaty back, but for me, what else is new? Ideally you can strap it down tight, waist and chest buckles help. I rode backpack on all the time to work before I got bags...no big deal.
This. I ride 2 hours total a day to work and back. I sinch the side straps as tight as possible to keep it off the fender, and buckle the waist and chest straps. The straps aren't necessarily, but help spread the load. Definitely not as fun as without a pack, but not nearly as bad as I expected.

Last edited by Ironcleveland; 04-22-2015 at 10:06 PM. Reason: auto correct
Old 04-26-2015, 06:13 PM
FrankDaTank182
Advanced

Yea, with no sissy bar there isn't much option, but to wear it on your back. I've done it, Just gets a lil uncomfortable after awhile. Since I put the sissy bar on mine I just bungee cord it down to the sissy bar and it doesn't budge. And now with sissy bags I will only need the backpack for Longer solo trips.

Old 04-26-2015, 06:36 PM
Military Vet
Stage IV

Originally Posted by FrankDaTank182
Yea, with no sissy bar there isn't much option, but to wear it on your back. I've done it, Just gets a lil uncomfortable after awhile. Since I put the sissy bar on mine I just bungee cord it down to the sissy bar and it doesn't budge. And now with sissy bags I will only need the backpack for Longer solo trips.
I actually did this. I got a 15x15 cargo bungee, and I just bungee corded it to the sissy bar on the back. Worked like a charm. I'm going to look into a sissy bag though, because that seems like the way to go for day trips where you're not going overnight.

Also, I took the bike about 350 miles this weekend (round trip). I went to visit some family in the middle of the state, and that stock seat on the bike just killed my ***. I was numb after about 45-50 minutes of riding. I have GOT to find another seat that is more comfortable and has a larger passenger surface area as well. That little pad that comes with the bike isn't good for anything so far as carrying a passenger is concerned.

I'm looking at the Mustang Original Studded Seat 75605 on Amazon. Here's a link:
Mustang Studded Seat Mustang Studded Seat

Anybody have this seat? The reviews I've seen have been very good.

Can I keep the sissy bar with this seat? Seems ideal to keep it. Thanks guys!

Last edited by Military Vet; 04-26-2015 at 06:41 PM.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:19 PM
FrankDaTank182
Advanced

I almost went with that seat, but decided to go with the corbin. I love the corbin, did 500 and some change round trip a few weekends ago, and when I stopped didn't even feel like I had been riding. And the wife loves the passenger seat much more than stock, a lot wider. The seat is a bit firm, but its great. 100% better than stock.

Quick Reply: My first Harley, 2014 Wide Glide