Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first Harley, 2014 Wide Glide

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 11:42 PM
Military Vet
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first Harley, 2014 Wide Glide

I haven't been on a bike since I was in my early 20's, and I'm in my mid 30's now. I shopped for a few weeks, but I kept thinking about this bike at the dealership in Tampa. I finally went back and picked it up. After moving back to Florida in January, there's no way I can live down here and not have a bike.

I really like the deep burgundy color that comes out in the sun, but it looks black when the light isn't hitting it. I just found you guys here, so I figured this would be my first post.

One question for you guys, anybody have mini apes on their FXDWG? What are some of the changes you feel when you replace the straight bars with them? Thanks!

Here it is:

Old 04-21-2015, 11:49 PM
c-note
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

She's a beaut! Personally I love short z bars on the wide glide....like 8" rise.

Old 04-22-2015, 05:51 AM
Jason Oates
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

NICE looking Wide Glide! Congrats!

Albeit older as an '05, I love the mini apes on my Wide Glide. Sometimes I like the look of the drag bars, although I love the comfort of the mini apes.

Old 04-22-2015, 05:58 AM
retxpres
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I like the color scheme. Never saw that color before...

Old 04-22-2015, 06:33 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Very nice! I love my '13 Wide Glide, I realized it's biased but the WG is the best looking bike HD makes, now that you've got her you can re-create her as you want her to be, making her your own

Old 04-22-2015, 09:22 AM
Military Vet
Stage IV

Originally Posted by TinCupChalice
Very nice! I love my '13 Wide Glide, I realized it's biased but the WG is the best looking bike HD makes, now that you've got her you can re-create her as you want her to be, making her your own

Yeah, I'm already thinking about the mini apes and I'll certainly be upgrading the pegs and hand grips. I think I'm going to be getting the extended forward controls, as I am 6'4 and I have longer legs.

I think I'm going to have to become more mechanically inclined, since I can see myself wanting to modify things regularly and I don't want to be paying all the labor costs associated with doing those things! Then again, maybe one of my technicians will do it on the cheap for me. A few of them have their own bikes.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:31 AM
FrankDaTank182
Advanced

Great looking bike man!. If you swap the bars out to mini apes, I would suggest upgrading the riser bushings. I swapped out my risers, to the pull back risers. Just 1 inch longer, and 1 inch pull back, and there was a lot of play in the stock bushings. The upgraded Poly bushings were much sturdier. Good luck with the upgrades man!

Old 04-22-2015, 10:17 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Originally Posted by Military Vet
Yeah, I'm already thinking about the mini apes and I'll certainly be upgrading the pegs and hand grips. I think I'm going to be getting the extended forward controls, as I am 6'4 and I have longer legs.

I think I'm going to have to become more mechanically inclined, since I can see myself wanting to modify things regularly and I don't want to be paying all the labor costs associated with doing those things! Then again, maybe one of my technicians will do it on the cheap for me. A few of them have their own bikes.
Honestly, HD's are for the most part easy to work on; just take your time, have the factory service manual in front of you, and don't be afraid to ask questions here on the forum, you can bet someone is sure to know the answer! YouTube is another good source for information, countless videos are up of all types of mods being done, and some of them are pretty good

Spend some time riding your WG before you start making too many changes, so many buy a new HD and before its even left the dealer all sorts of changes and mods have been done and the owner never knows what it felt like originally, get to know the bike and how it feels and it will help you decide on what mods you might really want.

Like you, I too wanted apes, I've always used them in the past but I put riser extensions on my '13 and ended up liking the change it made so much I've left it for now and concentrated on other areas, perhaps this coming winter I'll do apes. At first I thought extended forwards, I'm long legged too, but replacing the stock seat with an aftermarket seat that moved me back put the extended forwards in the 'maybe later' pile.

Always remember, they're never done, they just evolve

Old 04-22-2015, 11:20 AM
dublenut
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Nice looking ride. I like that color

Old 04-22-2015, 11:42 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,273 Likes on 11,143 Posts

Nice ride. I've been lusting for a wide glide, to keep the TriGlide company in the garage.

Quick Reply: My first Harley, 2014 Wide Glide