Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to do with my ignition..

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 04:17 PM
zachpeed
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do with my ignition..

Hey guys, I'm getting a custom tank built that will eliminate my center console, so I plan to relocate the speedo to the left side, but I just thought about the fact that my ignition will need to be moved as well.

I've found a few threads about moving it TO the console for Street Bobs, but not really anything about an alternatives.

I'd prefer something simple, with not a lot of fab or wiring work. Bike is an 09 FXDC.

Thanks.

Old 04-22-2015, 04:52 PM
Capbyrd
Novice

Could you move it down to the horn area? Perhaps a bracket that shares that area?

Old 04-22-2015, 08:20 PM
Xtype
Novice

In the older dynas wasn't it with the fork lock? Maybe get that part number? Or get one from a sportster.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:55 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

I've seen at least 1 here that was moved to the horn location. Alex did it I believe but I can't think of his name on the forum right now for the life of me. It shouldn't be too difficult to do I would think. Figure out a mount and move the wires.
The older Street Bob's have it on the neck. Where the fork lock is. Run the wires there and get that style of ignition switch.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:09 PM
iDodgimus
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

new lowrider have them down there, where the horn is on the other models - maybe grab those parts to make it nice and tidy

Old 04-22-2015, 11:38 PM
Davdoodles
Tourer
Received 83 Likes on 52 Posts

Upt to 2011? 2012? had the ignition key on the right side of the headstock (ie keyed in together with the steering lock). Lots of those guys seem to move them up to the dash - maybe you could do a swap wit hsomeone for the all parts.

Otherwise, maybe drill a hole in the left (or right i guess) battery cover...

Old 04-23-2015, 09:10 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Davdoodles
Upt to 2011? 2012? had the ignition key on the right side of the headstock (ie keyed in together with the steering lock). Lots of those guys seem to move them up to the dash - maybe you could do a swap wit hsomeone for the all parts.

Otherwise, maybe drill a hole in the left (or right i guess) battery cover...

You could put it anywhere that has enough space for it. If you want it smaller you could try ordering the style that was on the neck that is also a fork lock. You would have to keep your key in though. That is part of the reason so many people like to move it on the SB. 2011 for sure had it there, then the moved it up either 2012 or 2013 I believe.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:23 AM
zachpeed
Cruiser

yeah, one of the guys i work with rides a 12 or 13 street bob and his ignition is on the neck. I like the ignition I have now b/c I don't have to leave the key in, I can just switch it on and go.

I like the batter cover idea.. do you guys think there's any concerns with wires coming loose when taking the cover off?

Old 04-24-2015, 02:03 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by zachpeed
yeah, one of the guys i work with rides a 12 or 13 street bob and his ignition is on the neck. I like the ignition I have now b/c I don't have to leave the key in, I can just switch it on and go.

I like the batter cover idea.. do you guys think there's any concerns with wires coming loose when taking the cover off?

As long as there is a little slack you could just unplug the wires and it could just stay mounted to the cover. You could use anything that is a quick disconnect for electrical wires.

Old 04-26-2015, 03:41 PM
Dex07FXD
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I love the location, need to space bracket out some.

What to do with my ignition..-img_0001.jpg

What to do with my ignition..-img_0003.jpg

What to do with my ignition..-img_0004.jpg

Quick Reply: What to do with my ignition..