Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unbelievably bad fuel mileage!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 12:48 PM
boro
Tourer
Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Whaa?

Originally Posted by TinCupChalice
I agree completely, I left my '13 Wide Glide stock for 1k miles to get a true feel for it and how the changes I plan on making would affect it, mileage was low/mid 40's at best. Now with a Stage I and doing multiple autotune runs with the Power Vision the mileage is still going up.

Last Friday I took a leisurely ride with a few friends, we maintained a pretty steady 63 MPH or so/6th gear running back roads and curves, I topped off at just over 100 miles in to the ride, 1.81 gallons of premium, 55 MPG. I figure it's an anomaly. Back home I top off again just before putting the WG into the garage, I never put a bike away without a full tank 114 miles, 2.15 gallons of premium, 53 MPG... The 'Glide is running the best it ever has, strong and smooth and getting surprising mileage, a few more autotunes and who knows how good she might get
6th gear at 63mph yields an rpm that would lugg going up any kind of incline. Please tell me you were going downhill all the way?

Last edited by boro; 04-26-2015 at 12:54 PM.
Old 04-26-2015, 02:48 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Originally Posted by TinCupChalice
I agree completely, I left my '13 Wide Glide stock for 1k miles to get a true feel for it and how the changes I plan on making would affect it, mileage was low/mid 40's at best. Now with a Stage I and doing multiple autotune runs with the Power Vision the mileage is still going up.

Last Friday I took a leisurely ride with a few friends, we maintained a pretty steady 63 MPH or so/6th gear running back roads and curves, I topped off at just over 100 miles in to the ride, 1.81 gallons of premium, 55 MPG. I figure it's an anomaly. Back home I top off again just before putting the WG into the garage, I never put a bike away without a full tank 114 miles, 2.15 gallons of premium, 53 MPG... The 'Glide is running the best it ever has, strong and smooth and getting surprising mileage, a few more autotunes and who knows how good she might get

Originally Posted by boro
6th gear at 63mph yields an rpm that would lugg going up any kind of incline. Please tell me you were going downhill all the way?

Pretty flat 'round here, you've got to get north a bit more before you can find any hills but when I'm there I'm not in 6th gear and I'm definitely not in 6th when it comes to any curve, I want a clean continuous throttle roll on

Rolling down a flat stretch of asphalt the engine isn't lugging at 63 MPH in 6th, so many times you read threads of people saying they can't use 6th below 70 MPH or so due to vibration and I believe that has more to do with the vehicle alignment and front engine isolator than 'lugging'. Off the dealer's floor my '13 WG had all sorts of odd vibrations. My front isolator was collapsed and rubber under tension and distorted from the initial install. Didn't bother with the dealer and warranty BS, I replaced the isolator, followed the vehicle/engine alignment procedure in the SM, shimmed out my front engine isolator so it could sit where it wants to be without being under tension and it turned into the smoothest HD I've ever owned... almost too smooth

Last edited by TinCupChalice; 04-26-2015 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Quoting and a typo
Old 04-26-2015, 03:22 PM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by boro
What is the source of your information about what constitutes "lugging"?

Last edited by Warp Factor; 04-26-2015 at 04:01 PM.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:20 PM
MRFREEZE57
Grand HDF Member
Received 4,076 Likes on 1,909 Posts

I run 6th gear from 55 mph +,do not notice any bad vibration. as long as the engine is not jerking and lurching, run as tall of gear possible, this will also give you the best fuel mileage.

Old 04-26-2015, 10:26 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I use 5th gear mostly, or at least to 70mph. I never ever let my engines drop below 2,300rpms.
My 113 feels fine at 2,000 but I am not going to take a chance besides I get better mileage at 2,500 any way.

Old 05-09-2015, 02:47 PM
boro
Tourer
Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Lugging

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
What is the source of your information about what constitutes "lugging"?
I'm no expert, and don't have any reference other than what I hear when I ride at what I think is too low an rpm. Maybe I'm wrong. The engine changes sound. I can't describe the sound, but normal clattering sounds like something is going to crash out of the engine. Sometimes when I forget to downshift, taking off in second gear, it sounds sick. It also sounds sick if I wait before downshifting for some reason. It's like the engine is on it's last leg. Accordingly, I try hard to avoid that condition.