Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ticking/knocking while riding

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 07:03 PM
dankdizzle1017
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ticking/knocking while riding

I am new to the forum and this place has been the most helpful place so far.
Last year i bought a new street bob and over the winter upgraded various parts. Now that its all back together and the weather is somewhat decent took it out. Now I am getting a ticking/knocking while going down the road. The sound speeds up when accelerating and slowing down. I put it up on my lift to see if it were the front end and wasnt. I started it and put and gear and the noise started once the tire was moving. It makes the noise with both clutch in and clutch out.
These are the parts i have changed:
14" ape hanggers (road6customs)
14" cable kit. Clutch,brake and throttle. (Burly brand)
Vance and hines super radius exhaust.
Changed trassmission fluid and used what the dealer gave me. Ajusted everything per specs and properly torqued everything down. I also have re ajusted clutch to see if that would make a difference. Not sure what else it could be. Im about ready to take it all apart to check everthing. But wanted some imput before i do that.

Thanks

Old 04-24-2015, 07:19 PM
motorend
Cruiser
Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

Probably won't know unless we hear it. Mine has a ticking to it, as did my sportster. I assume it's just the primary. Now, a knocking, well that's a different story. Mine actually got louder going to a barebones seat as there is less seat to dampen the acoustics coming off the engine. Mine is also louder when in gear. I can't see how the mods you did could have caused any difference in sound. If ya really wanna get paranoid, ride with earplugs for a week then go for a ride without them.

Old 04-24-2015, 07:25 PM
dankdizzle1017
2nd Gear

I can try and record it. It almost sounds as if i put some cards up against my spokes. It still rides great and responds well. Just worried that if i keep riding it like this that something major will happen. I also forget to mention that when I drained the tranny to swap clutch cable. There were a couple of metal chunks. But i figured that was normal for a new bike.

Last edited by dankdizzle1017; 04-24-2015 at 07:34 PM.
Old 04-24-2015, 07:38 PM
H3llbilly
Advanced

My SB has a ticking noise but I always thought it was just the way they sounded lol. My Triumph was so quiet compared to the SB that I thought I surely was breaking stuff from just riding normal. It did get a lot quieter recently when I changed the engine oil to Harley brand. From my understanding synthetic is louder but cools the engine quicker. The more miles I put on it, the quieter the ticks seem to get...or I'm going deaf. How many miles do you have on it?

Old 04-24-2015, 07:44 PM
motorend
Cruiser
Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

Expand on metal chunks. Little hair like shavings on the magnet of the plug? Or chunks.

Last edited by motorend; 04-24-2015 at 07:50 PM.
Old 04-24-2015, 07:44 PM
dankdizzle1017
2nd Gear

It currently 725 on it. I didn't want to change the oil in the trassmission but to change clutch cable I knew i was going to lose some oil. So rather than make a mess i juat drained it. I did take it for a ride before i did the clutch cable and dont recall any sounds. But that was with the stock exhaust.

Old 04-24-2015, 07:47 PM
dankdizzle1017
2nd Gear

They were on the drain plug. They were less than a 1/16" square peices.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:41 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

1/16" pices of metal sounds really really wrong, at that rate your gears would be stripped in no time flat.

Otherwis I was going to guess that your ticking was valve train noise which is commom to all harleys and quite harmless. Most new guys, including me when I got my first don't hear it at first but as soon as we realize it's there our mind focuses us on it until that's all we can hear. That's paranoia!- cause your worried sick all of a sudden that something is wrong with your baby! You should be allowed to have your dealer come outside and give a listen with you, if he's honest and gives it to you straight your good, depends how much you trust them.

Oterwise;

Take a long flat edge screwdriver and hold the flat on your tranny and the handle to your ear, like a stehascope and listen for noise, then hold the flat on the cyl. head and determine where the noise was louder. Simple noise test.

Old 04-24-2015, 11:48 PM
Kwest88
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you bought it new the bike should have a warranty correct? I would take it to the dealership and let them look at it.

Old 04-25-2015, 05:57 AM
dankdizzle1017
2nd Gear

There was only about five or six of those peices. But still found it odd that it was in there. I have a feeling that im just over reacting. Im going to adjust the clutch cable one last time just to be sure.

Quick Reply: Ticking/knocking while riding