Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To fairing or not to fairing

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 06:34 PM
D-rob92
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default To fairing or not to fairing

So I've been looking into putting a gauntlet fairing on my street bob... Only probably is I'm a little indecisive due to the fact I'm running 12" z's and I have no clue how that would look and I'm curious how they function as far as wind deflection. I live literally 3 miles from I-79 so if I go anywhere out of town and don't take back roads (which are horrible rough and full of potholes) it's 75-90 mph riding. Just curious how good they work and if you guys think it would look good with the z's.

Old 04-25-2015, 10:44 PM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team

Received 730 Likes on 502 Posts

My cousin has Z bars (although not quite as tall as yours) on his '14 LR and that validates my immense expertise in Z bars.

Therefore, I see no reason why it would not work and it would probably look great.

As to function, it does not provide the same level of shielding as an Ultra Classic.
But I find that mine does a great job for it's small size.

Good luck with your outcome

Old 04-25-2015, 10:49 PM
D-rob92
Advanced

Thanks for the reply man, I already pulled the trigger on it. ordered one about 45 mins ago. I talked myself into it. The more I think about it I think it'll be cool and Look different. They're popular but I'll still be in minority. Especially here (east coast).

Old 04-25-2015, 11:13 PM
c-note
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I recently said yes to a JD's t-sport. I know we see a ton of q fairings on the forum cuz we are all sick *****.....but honestly I have seen one dyna on the street with a quarter fairing, and it was on a club bike passing through town....they just aren't common round here.

I honestly like the look and the functionality of it. I feel like it allows you to get a little bit of the best of both worlds between a dyna and a bagger. Freeway comfort combined with in traffic maneuverability.

Old 04-25-2015, 11:18 PM
D-rob92
Advanced

Originally Posted by c-note
I recently said yes to a JD's t-sport. I know we see a ton of q fairings on the forum cuz we are all sick *****.....but honestly I have seen one dyna on the street with a quarter fairing, and it was on a club bike passing through town....they just aren't common round here.

I honestly like the look and the functionality of it. I feel like it allows you to get a little bit of the best of both worlds between a dyna and a bagger. Freeway comfort combined with in traffic maneuverability.
Agreed! I mean this is my first dyna, I've also got a sportster, but I'm making this bike a riders bike, no slammed shocks, no bells and whistles just function and rideability, without sacrificing her looks of course. I hear Good things about the q fairing that they're functional and I think they just look sick. So I went with it. Should be in next week!

Old 04-25-2015, 11:26 PM
c-note
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The guys I ride with ride baggers...they love to roll at 130km/hr for hours on end, and I don't care how tough you are, you can't roll on a dyna without a fairing or windshield for 3 or 4 hours at freeway speeds and not feel some discomfort.

Old 04-25-2015, 11:32 PM
D-rob92
Advanced

True that, I've done a couple 75-85 mph rides on my sportster that were a couple hundred miles and I was completely beat to death by the time the ride was over. The wind is no joke when you traveling on the highway.

Old 04-25-2015, 11:42 PM
jeffbetrollin
Tourer

I'm not a fan of the look of a 1/4 fairing without tbars or a tall riser bar set up, but I also like the look of that bar set up without a fairing which alot of people hate. It's about what you think looks good at the end of the day. Because it's your money and you have to stare at it . So I'm glad you chose to buy one!

As far as functionality, they do work! You will get wind deflection at highway speed . And still have plenty of wind to keep you cool when you are taveling at lower speeds in and around town . Best of both worlds

Old 04-26-2015, 12:22 AM
D-rob92
Advanced

Thanks Jeff, I dig the look with te T's as well but I really like the way my bars feel, plus it can never hurt to be different. I'm pretty sure I like it.

Old 04-26-2015, 02:59 AM
jeffbetrollin
Tourer

Originally Posted by D-rob92
Thanks Jeff, I dig the look with te T's as well but I really like the way my bars feel, plus it can never hurt to be different. I'm pretty sure I like it.
to each their owm, thats what keeps it unique. if we all liked the same stuff there wouldnt be all these custom part companies in buisiness lol. im sure you will man! keep us posted and enjoy the set up!