Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 08:38 AM
dwagar
Road Master
Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

If you just want louder, you can just change the exhaust.

But if you want more performance as well, change the A/C. Once you've done both, you need to get the bike richer (you now have more air flowing in and exhausting out).

I changed my exhaust first, but only for a couple of weeks while I was waiting to receive the FP3 I had ordered. Once I had it, I changed the AC and flashed it.

I think the FP3 is the best bang for the buck IF you're only planning on Stage 1. If you are planning on future motor work (cams, etc), then look to another tuner.

Old 04-26-2015, 09:37 AM
jackddg22
Road Captain

Received 233 Likes on 113 Posts

I did mine all at once with only about 200 miles on it, already had a power vision and just got the license for the additional bike. Bassani RR and se a/c. Downloaded a map that was close and auto tuned it hitting just the blocks that were within the breakin parameters, will do it again in a few days after I change the oil. Quick question. At low rpms and throttle positions it wants to keep adding fuel, have to back it down in the 2000 rpms and 0 throttle and below manually or it will get too rich. Any idea why? Exhaust leak or just because of the pipes? My Sportster does the same thing. with the same setup..
Thanks,
Jack

Last edited by jackddg22; 04-26-2015 at 12:31 PM.
Old 04-26-2015, 11:50 AM
YammyDrummer
Road Warrior
Received 487 Likes on 288 Posts
Default Plan Ahead

Originally Posted by Police_dad
First time owner and have a question. What's the best way to go about the stage 1 upgrade? One at a time or all at once? "I'm wanting to go louder and not sacrifice performance.". Any help would be most appreciated
You can start with slip-ons to get the additional db's, and nothing else will be needed. But I highly recommend planning ahead because A.) you won't gain much performance with just slip-ons and will eventually want more, B.) the engine is not going to run any cooler which you will quickly find to be annoying as hell on those hotter days, and C.) no one likes to waste money.

Do your research, hang out at the bike nights to check out different set-ups for what catches your eye/ear, and don't go cheap just to get some rumble. You could very well end up spending much more in the long run.

Find out what tuner your local dyno guru prefers and go with that one over everyone else's recommendation. Pick out your preferred A/C and exhaust, get a tune, and ride the **** out of it. And ALWAYS leave your options open to future upgrades so that you don't have to go back and replace any of the stuff you've already purchased for that next performance mod. Believe me...you will more than likely always be thinking "What to do next?"

Old 04-26-2015, 03:56 PM
echoicse
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mchad
Your dealer told you it was ok to install a S1AC without a map? What dealer was that?
I had Screamin' Eagle Stage I Air Cleaner Kit (29406-08) installed on my Bike couple years ago. Computer did its thing. Then while I was trying to decide on my exhaust. Finally did it this year with S&S Cycle slash cut slip-on mufflers. While my bike was in at Stan's Harley Davidson in Batavia, N.Y. Annually inspection, oil change, p.m. Stan's installed my slip-ons and off I went after all the work was done on my bike. No glitches what-so-ever and my bike runs even better with performance side! I'm probably one of those H.D. Rider's that is fortunate that I can have my bike serviced at Stan's with no issues!

Old 04-26-2015, 04:48 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,510 Likes on 2,133 Posts

Odd. Everything I have read says you need program to offset the lean condition the high flow air cleaner will create. I guess it's all marketing hogwash.

Old 04-26-2015, 07:43 PM
echoicse
Intermediate
Thumbs up

Odd. Everything I have read says you need program to offset the lean condition the high flow air cleaner will create. I guess it's all marketing hogwash.
On my "WORK ORDER BILLING" from Stan's H.D. on the billing sheet. On the "Work Order Notes:" 35 lines section. Line 26 has written "CHECK AND ADJUST ENGINE IDLE SPEED AS NECESSARY, 950-1050 RPM". Line 32 has written "CK ECM CALIBRATION____________AND LATEST UPDATE____________. LEAVE AS IS IF THERE ARE NO PERFORMANCE ISSUES (long space...then) /BE CAREFUL OF SCREAMIN EAGLE CALIBRATION". No writing what-so-ever in the line 32 section! My 15K SERVICE p.m. had written was oil used, oil filter, PJ1 SUPER CLEANER, NON CA, INOX INJECTOR...cost of these items. So, ALL these "CHANGE, Lube, INSPECT and TEST" nothing written about "calibration redo's". Proves to me just like Stan's H.D. told me doing air cleaner and exhaust one at a time. Computer and E.F.I. will reset themselves! I haven't had NO misfires from engine whatsoever! Lastly, amusing with last subliminal last word you used "HOG...wash"!

Old 04-26-2015, 07:46 PM
Police_dad
6th Gear

Originally Posted by echoicse
On my "WORK ORDER BILLING" from Stan's H.D. on the billing sheet. On the "Work Order Notes:" 35 lines section. Line 26 has written "CHECK AND ADJUST ENGINE IDLE SPEED AS NECESSARY, 950-1050 RPM". Line 32 has written "CK ECM CALIBRATION____________AND LATEST UPDATE____________. LEAVE AS IS IF THERE ARE NO PERFORMANCE ISSUES (long space...then) /BE CAREFUL OF SCREAMIN EAGLE CALIBRATION". No writing what-so-ever in the line 32 section! My 15K SERVICE p.m. had written was oil used, oil filter, PJ1 SUPER CLEANER, NON CA, INOX INJECTOR...cost of these items. So, ALL these "CHANGE, Lube, INSPECT and TEST" nothing written about "calibration redo's". Proves to me just like Stan's H.D. told me doing air cleaner and exhaust one at a time. Computer and E.F.I. will reset themselves! I haven't had NO misfires from engine whatsoever! Lastly, amusing with last subliminal last word you used "HOG...wash"!
Now now, ladies.. Let's keep it civil

Old 04-26-2015, 08:21 PM
Mchad
Club Member

Now now, ladies.. Let's keep it civil
Oh I wasn't being critical of him, I was suspicious of the statement that "you NEED a stage 1 download if you install a high flow air cleaner. " as told by many... I think he understood that, and was just verifying it...

Last edited by Mchad; 04-26-2015 at 08:39 PM.
Old 04-26-2015, 08:31 PM
Police_dad
6th Gear

Oh I wasn't being critical of him, I was suspicious of the statement that "you NEED a stage 1 download if you install a high flow air cleaner. I think he understood that, and was just verifying it...
I figured as much, just being a bit of a creep. I tend to do that. Lol

Old 04-26-2015, 08:40 PM
Mchad
Club Member

I figured as much, just being a bit of a creep. I tend to do that. Lol
Haha, you're not alone...

Quick Reply: Upgrade