Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 09:22 PM
AdamM
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Mchad
Odd. Everything I have read says you need program to offset the lean condition the high flow air cleaner will create. I guess it's all marketing hogwash.
You were correct. When changing exhaust and air cleaner you need to remap. You can get away with the stock tune if doing only one or the other. echoicse only added slip ons which wouldnt lean out the bike like adding head pipes would. The way he worded it made it seem as if he was gaining performance from his slip ons thinking he got away problem free without a tune, which isnt the case, his bike is just making more noise now

Old 04-26-2015, 10:01 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,510 Likes on 2,133 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamM
You were correct. When changing exhaust and air cleaner you need to remap. You can get away with the stock tune if doing only one or the other. echoicse only added slip ons which wouldnt lean out the bike like adding head pipes would. The way he worded it made it seem as if he was gaining performance from his slip ons thinking he got away problem free without a tune, which isnt the case, his bike is just making more noise now
Pretty sure he has a SE stage 1 air cleaner too.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:47 AM
Police_dad
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, in theory, I could do the stage 1 air cleaner and slip-ons without having to tune and still be ok? My finances are kinda limited at the moment.. And later down the road should I add the full exhaust then I'll need to remap?

Old 04-27-2015, 09:39 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,510 Likes on 2,133 Posts

Originally Posted by Police_dad
So, in theory, I could do the stage 1 air cleaner and slip-ons without having to tune and still be ok? My finances are kinda limited at the moment.. And later down the road should I add the full exhaust then I'll need to remap?

I'm pretty sure the common consensus is that if you change airflow volume into the motor (with a high flow air cleaner) you need to change the ECM map to support it. Slip ons may or may not remove the cat from your exhaust system (don't know what year and model you have) which will also enhance the motors ability to breath. I believe the consequences of not changing the map is a too lean condition which can hurt the motor over time.

The tech forum is a better place to ask this question I think. And I'm generally an idiot so take my comments for what they are worth. Which is nothing...

Old 04-27-2015, 09:55 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by echoicse
On my "WORK ORDER BILLING" from Stan's H.D. on the billing sheet. On the "Work Order Notes:" 35 lines section. Line 26 has written "CHECK AND ADJUST ENGINE IDLE SPEED AS NECESSARY, 950-1050 RPM". Line 32 has written "CK ECM CALIBRATION____________AND LATEST UPDATE____________. LEAVE AS IS IF THERE ARE NO PERFORMANCE ISSUES (long space...then) /BE CAREFUL OF SCREAMIN EAGLE CALIBRATION". No writing what-so-ever in the line 32 section! My 15K SERVICE p.m. had written was oil used, oil filter, PJ1 SUPER CLEANER, NON CA, INOX INJECTOR...cost of these items. So, ALL these "CHANGE, Lube, INSPECT and TEST" nothing written about "calibration redo's". Proves to me just like Stan's H.D. told me doing air cleaner and exhaust one at a time. Computer and E.F.I. will reset themselves! I haven't had NO misfires from engine whatsoever! Lastly, amusing with last subliminal last word you used "HOG...wash"!
For the absolute stone truth in this matter I'd take the bike to one of the best tuners in the Northeast, right in your back yard, in Corfu, NY.
Thayers Sales and Service..........then you'll know what right, is.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 04-27-2015, 02:48 PM
HBomb74
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I added python mamba slip ons at first and rode round like that for a year or so with no tune. I later added a K&N street metal intake and rode around like that for another couple years or so, without any fuel management system or flash tune. Then I added a ProPipe and decided to throw in a FuelPak. Stage 1 is as far as I am taking my bike and it runs really well with no popping during deceleration

Old 04-27-2015, 03:18 PM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Mchad
I'm pretty sure the common consensus is that if you change airflow volume into the motor (with a high flow air cleaner) you need to change the ECM map to support it.
Most of the time, it's your throttle position which has the biggest impact on air flow into the engine. Not your air cleaner.

Old 04-28-2015, 03:05 PM
echoicse
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Police_dad
Now now, ladies.. Let's keep it civil
The bold print was exactly how it was printed on the work sheet I got back from Stan's H.D.! I wanted to reproduce exactly what was on the work sheet! My belief would be that their service dept. mechanics would have informed me if I needed a tune! I would have given the "Go". So, moving on don't really get your "ladies...civil" thinking. You asked for advice from fellow Dyna Riders that's what you exactly got from this Rider! My opinion is what it is...do it this way or get the tune I honestly don't give a damn! I ALWAYS say "Your Bike-Your Money!"

Old 04-28-2015, 03:12 PM
echoicse
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Hillsidecyclecom
For the absolute stone truth in this matter I'd take the bike to one of the best tuners in the Northeast, right in your back yard, in Corfu, NY.
Thayers Sales and Service..........then you'll know what right, is.
Scott
Thanks for the advice I'll keep that in mind!!! A Friend at work...of course a H.D. Rider...also told me about "Steve's Custom Cycle" in Lockport, N.Y. I want to check them out in the near future. My friend gets all his tunes from them.

Old 04-28-2015, 03:25 PM
echoicse
Intermediate

...."his bike is just making more noise now"...not to me this Old Biker takes it like this...."my bike is just making more MUSIC now!