Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing SE Custom T Bars

Old 04-25-2015, 10:30 PM
JokerWhiskey
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Installing SE Custom T Bars

So, I have begun the install of my 13" Tbars. I am handy with a wrench, but electrical is my Achilles heel. Can anyone give some tips for the re-wire going forward? Any special tools that would be handy to have?

I have included a current state pic for you to all to laugh at!

Old 04-25-2015, 10:37 PM
justintyme73
Cruiser

Just looking at the pic you have removed a few more things than I would to install only handlebars. Just sayin

Old 04-25-2015, 10:42 PM
JokerWhiskey
Advanced

Originally Posted by justintyme73
Just looking at the pic you have removed a few more things than I would to install only handlebars. Just sayin
Lol, just tank, AC, and bars.

Old 04-25-2015, 11:04 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

Are you replacing all cables and wires or just extending stuff. Also internal wiring? If so then I would use some thin metal chain or weighted fishing line as leaders through the bars. Extending the wires is not too difficult but is tedious. Some good YouTube videos on it. Make sure to either draw a diagram or take a pic of the wires prior to de-pinning any connectors for ease of reassembly

Have fun!

Old 04-25-2015, 11:11 PM
JokerWhiskey
Advanced

Originally Posted by robbyville
Are you replacing all cables and wires or just extending stuff. Also internal wiring? If so then I would use some thin metal chain or weighted fishing line as leaders through the bars. Extending the wires is not too difficult but is tedious. Some good YouTube videos on it. Make sure to either draw a diagram or take a pic of the wires prior to de-pinning any connectors for ease of reassembly

Have fun!
Both I guess, I got the Burly 14" kit. So, new cables and wire extensions. I have been taking A LOT of pics. My first time doing something like this so the de- pin and re solder has me a little nervous.

Old 04-25-2015, 11:19 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

It's not too hard, satisfying and kind of fun. I just did my turn signals but did not need to do my bar wiring when I replaced my bars. Watch some videos on soldering and do a couple of practice tries. Also strange as it sounds don't forget to put your heat shrunk on before you do the connectors

De-pinning is pretty easy once you get the feel of it. Lots of tools available but a paper clip is what worked best for me.

Here is a link to my recent soldering thread. Have fun!

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...or-tricks.html

Old 04-26-2015, 02:11 PM
JokerWhiskey
Advanced

Can anyone tell me where the connectors that I need to de pin are located. I have been looking under the seat and tried pulling some out of the neck, but I can't find them...and, I am an idiot and don't have the service manual yet...I know that is a MUST have. Hindsight is 20/20. Lol!

Old 04-26-2015, 03:23 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

Yeah manual will be needed for torque amounts, etc. what year is the bike? For most bikes the connectors will be in the space behind the neck that may or may not be covered somewhere near the neck and backbone. If a recent bike you should be able to pull them through the neck.

Old 04-26-2015, 03:25 PM
JokerWhiskey
Advanced

It's a 2007 fxd. If they are in the neck, do I pull from the front or the back?

Old 04-26-2015, 05:06 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

If I remember a video I saw previously is there a panel that can be opened right below the backbone behind the steering column/down tube? Boxy section with all wiring that I think I can see in your pic?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Installing SE Custom T Bars