Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1000 miles oil change diy problem!!

Old 04-26-2015, 06:31 PM
maxsab
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 1000 miles oil change diy problem!!

Hi, first i'm new to this site and french speaking so sorry for my english writing. I've just made my first 1000 miles service myself, primary case, transmission and engine oil change. I have a 2015 Fxdb with v&n straight shots slip on, s&s high flow air cleaner and v&h fp3 autotune map. The problem is that yesterday i've change all my fluid, and today i went for a ride and it was smelling burned oil, so i've check the engine temp with the fp3 app and i've saw 300 F degree. When i've get back home 10 km later i've check the oil dipstick and was half an inch over the hot line. So i've remove the excess oil with a turkey juicer and put it on the hot line, then i check the oil color in a water bottle and it is already black 70 km later after the new oil change. So is 300 F degree is normal ? and is the black color oil normal too? Thanks lot guys!

Old 04-26-2015, 06:46 PM
The instigator
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Im assumming you replaced the oil filter as well....Right?
No its not normal for the oil to be black that quickly.

Old 04-26-2015, 06:48 PM
dudshep31
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm unsure of what temp the oil runs. But you'll never get all the oil out of the engine doing a standard drain and I'm sure that's what most of us do. So your oil will turn black quicker than you think. As for the smell-any leaks or drips anywhere? Could have spilled some and then the engine got hot?? Just my opinions. I'm no expert. I should also add that I'm not exactly sure how far 70km is but doesn't seem very far.

Old 04-26-2015, 06:51 PM
LunaticFringe
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

no that's not normal at all, something is wrong, were you riding it hard? did you replace the filter using a new Harley filter? I only use Harley filters just to eliminate the chance of getting an inappropriate filter that may not work correctly on a vtwin.

the oil should stay around 260... 300 is too hot, of course I don't know how that app works, is that the oil tank temperature?

the oil is black because you've fried the oil and it was burning.. that oil should be changed again.

honestly, you might want to take it to a dealer just incase there is a problem that your warranty would cover.

as dud said it is common to spill oil on the motor which can cause a buring il smell but I'm afraid you might have a bigger problem.

Last edited by LunaticFringe; 04-26-2015 at 06:55 PM.
Old 04-26-2015, 06:57 PM
maxsab
3rd Gear

Yess, i have change the oil filter with a premium harley one and put 360 20w50 mineral oil in the engine. No drop at all on the floor or wherever, And i was smooth on my 70km ride.The fp3 app said engine temperature So i guess is the oil temp. I will call the dealer tomorrow.

Last edited by maxsab; 04-26-2015 at 07:04 PM.
Old 04-26-2015, 06:57 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

Over fillin the engine oil tank is never good.
The engine is equipped with breathers that vent into the throttle body. If the oil level is too high, it will spew into the throttle body and into the combustion chamber and it will burn and smell.
Good that you drained the excess.

Old 04-26-2015, 07:14 PM
maxsab
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by LunaticFringe
no that's not normal at all, something is wrong, were you riding it hard? did you replace the filter using a new Harley filter? I only use Harley filters just to eliminate the chance of getting an inappropriate filter that may not work correctly on a vtwin.

the oil should stay around 260... 300 is too hot, of course I don't know how that app works, is that the oil tank temperature?

the oil is black because you've fried the oil and it was burning.. that oil should be changed again.

honestly, you might want to take it to a dealer just incase there is a problem that your warranty would cover.

as dud said it is common to spill oil on the motor which can cause a buring il smell but I'm afraid you might have a bigger problem.

Do you think i need to replace the new filter too?

Old 04-26-2015, 07:20 PM
Kraken
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

The burning oil smell could be excess oil venting into your intake.

Old 04-26-2015, 08:15 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 185 Posts

The measured temp is the head temp. Depending on speed, temp outside, idle time, stop and go etc can vary to that temp. The extra qt of oil that doesn't drain will make the new oil when a few miles are added a tad discolored. All normal. International bikes have some added emission features that may bump the temp up as well. Also depending on what cal the fp is running may not be correct for the bike.

Old 04-26-2015, 08:18 PM
LunaticFringe
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by maxsab
Do you think i need to replace the new filter too?

on second thought you might be okay, it 300 is your engine temp them that might be the cylinder head temperature & not the oil tank.. 300 engine temp would be normal.

I think you are alright..

the burnt oil smell might be just from over filling and the engine venting the excess oil back into your intake.

Harleys are funny, it's better to fill the oil a little low so it doesn't;t spit out...

Last edited by LunaticFringe; 04-26-2015 at 08:21 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1000 miles oil change diy problem!!