Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

does the muffler determine what size engine it's used for

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 12:30 PM
whit98
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default does the muffler determine what size engine it's used for

I'm a little confused. How does the muffler on two completely identical systems make a difference on what size engine it gets used for. You have the same exact head pipes but one is a megaphone muffler and the other is not. How does the not megaphone get used for engines that are bigger than 117". I would think you could use them both on the same engine.

Old 05-09-2015, 12:46 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

Not really sure what you mean, identical systems, but different size engines; you mean identical head pipes?

Megaphone is kind of a style; you can match a megaphone style to probably any Harley engine. The internal diameters and baffle and/or sound reducing materials determine more than the outside appearance. The bigger or higher performance engines will want interior construction that will allow higher air flow, whether they're megaphone (big rear end styles) or slimmer looking straight shots. I haven't checked mufflers for engines 117 or larger, could be nobody makes a megaphone style for them - but they could if they wanted to. You could probably find one that fit the header pipe diameter and mounting brackets for your bike, but if it wasn't rated for your larger engine, the internals might not pass enough air to reach the engine's potential performance.

Old 05-09-2015, 07:23 PM
razors edge
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default muffler bearings

I think it all hinges on the size of the muffler bearings.

Old 05-09-2015, 10:38 PM
whit98
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What I was referring to was the bassani road rage II b1 vs the megapower. From what bassani says and the web site also reflects is the only difference between the 2 is the muffler. But yet lots of people say the b1 is only for big bore engines. I'm not sure what the muffler bearings are or if it will make that big of a difference. The pipes themselves are the same. I'm buying a set of the b1 and just want to know what I'm getting into. I think I'll be fine but want to know what others think.

Old 05-10-2015, 06:02 AM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

I'd think it'd be fine, biggest difference between the two is probably how they sound. Pretty loud, probably. Muffler bearings...

Old 05-10-2015, 12:31 PM
bobscogin
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by razors edge
I think it all hinges on the size of the muffler bearings.
Muffler bearings were eliminated as a cost cutting measure.

Bob

Old 05-10-2015, 05:43 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by bobscogin
Muffler bearings were eliminated as a cost cutting measure.

Bob
They did have to bring them back for the bigger displacement motors, 117 and up. Not many dealers stock them though.

Old 05-10-2015, 06:26 PM
freebaggin
Tourer
Received 111 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by 8541hog
They did have to bring them back for the bigger displacement motors, 117 and up. Not many dealers stock them though.
My new S&S Exhaust Bering's made a huge difference on my 103, really opened up the exhaust flow!!!

Old 05-10-2015, 09:30 PM
razors edge
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by freebaggin
My new S&S Exhaust Bering's made a huge difference on my 103, really opened up the exhaust flow!!!
We need to be careful, this is a slippy slope when it comes to cutting corners. They are usually long wait if they are to be upgraded.

Old 05-10-2015, 09:38 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,254 Likes on 11,139 Posts

Are the new bearings needle bearings or ball bearings. And is the bearing grease synthetic or Dino? These are important considerations for the best muffler performance.

Quick Reply: does the muffler determine what size engine it's used for