Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Review of Progressive Monotube for Dyna

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 06:07 PM
ricerocket71
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Review of Progressive Monotube for Dyna

The review is in response from my earlier post, "Progressive Monotube for DYNA" asking for input about the Mono tube system, So here is my honest response hope it helps.

My Review of Progressive Monotube Cartridge kit for HD 2006+ Dyna P/N 31-2519

Installed the system on my 2010 Dyna FXDC along with a set of 444 on the rear. (12” Length, Standard rate and Chrome finish)installation was straight forward and took about 2 ½ - 3 hours (two people) - We kept the bike front end standard length and followed the directions provided in the kit.

Overall review; I have taken multiple rides with and without a passenger for the last few weeks, rides have included both side roads as well highway. My ride has improved dramatically from the stock suspension Bike handles a lot better; no longer does the suspension bottom out and my back ache.
I am extremely impressed how the ride has improved overall especially in curves. Lastly one additional thing that happened and totally won me over on the Mono tubes was on the highway the other night doing 70, hit a large deep pot hole. When I hit it I felt the front tire deform from the pressure then the monotube kicked in and could actually feel it collapse and take the brunt of the force. If you are thinking about upgrading I would highly recommend the Monotube suspension upgrade for the Dyna's, .

I can't say enough how these have improved the ride.

However a couple of things to be prepared for and watch out.
  1. New crush (copper) washers are not included in the kit; these should be replaced during the reinstall.
  2. We had a tough time tightening down the Right fork Mono tube assembly (this is the one with the cartridge – There is a note hidden within the instructions: IF the monotube assembly tries to rotate temporarily thread the Monotube assembly into the fork –tube and try applying pressure to the assembly to keep it from rotating by “pulling” on the fork tube while torquing the bottom fork bolt.
We tried this and still could not get the bottom drain bolt (Stock lower fork bolt) to tighten as the complete piston assembly is designed to rotate freely.
– What worked well for us was to use this method suggested in the instructions (above) plus using an impact wrench to tighten the bolt then torque it.

3. When putting the oil into the right mono tube fork you only have about ¼” of space between the monotube assembly and the tube wall. We took a long skinny funnel and cut a 45 degree angle at the bottom of the spout. You will still have to pour the fork oil in very slowly.

Only one Negative: There it very little information on how to adjust the preload of the system: Instructions basically say “rotate the center of your left fork cap - your adjustable preload cap – with supplied 1/2” inch Allen-wrench – Rotate it clockwise will increase your preload – counter clockwise will reduce it. (The Right side will not adjust it looks exactly the same as the left but it is solid). It’s one of those things you’re just going to have to try various setting to get.
Road Review adjustments: Individual rider 170 lbs. (wanted to give specifics due to lack of instructions on how to adjust the front suspension)
  1. Started with the pre-load turned all the way to the left (Minimum) Front end is worse the stock at this setting – got an extreme nose dive in the front end when using front brake.
2. Next attempt was 1 full turn of the adjustment, Front end performed same as stock with the when ridden. Felt like nothing had been done to the front suspension.

3. *** Change adjustment to 2 full turns (This seems to be the sweet spot for me) Difference in the ride is night and day, when using the front brake there is minimal nose dive. no vibration in the handle bars and the ride is smooth can extremely comfortable.

4. Went to 3 full turns of the adjustment: Little to no nose dive when riding but could feel every little bump in the road through the handle bars. Bike handles very well – but I couldn’t get use to the road feel “suspension is to stiff for me”.

Note: went through the same adjustments with a passenger, Rider 170 lbs. passenger 110 lbs. Total weight 280 lbs. no difference. The 2 turns of the adjustment is the same feel wither I am riding alone or with a passenger.

Last edited by ricerocket71; 05-26-2015 at 06:43 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JayStronghawk (03-29-2016)
Old 05-11-2015, 09:23 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

Thanks for sharing! Sounds like it was a pain to install.

Old 05-12-2015, 02:38 PM
Redbeard
Stellar HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

Thanks for the monotube review. We're similar weight, can you mention more about the 444s?

Old 05-13-2015, 06:34 PM
ricerocket71
Cruiser

Originally Posted by BigDogIdaho
Thanks for sharing! Sounds like it was a pain to install.
No the installation was straight forward and went smoothly - just wanted to highlight the couple of minor issues that you might encounter if you would be installing them.

Old 05-13-2015, 06:43 PM
ricerocket71
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Redbeard
Thanks for the monotube review. We're similar weight, can you mention more about the 444s?
After talking with the folks at progressive and letting them know my weight - they advised to go with the standard springs rate. (not to go with the Heavy duty would be to rough for our weight)

Note: On my Dyna there are chrome covers over the top of the shocks, these had to be modified slightly to fit the 444's as the top of the H.D. shocks have an indent were the chrome fits around .(the progressives come straight down from the top shock radius). Other than this install was easy, just remember to lift the bike to get the weight of the shocks. I followed the progressive video on U-tube showing how to adjust the sag - really easy

444's are a big improvement over stock. I have not bottomed out since installation, like i have purchased a new ride. well worth the money.. I would say one of the best improvements i have made for the bike.

Hope I answered your questions

Last edited by ricerocket71; 05-13-2015 at 06:58 PM.
Old 05-14-2015, 11:20 AM
Redbeard
Stellar HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

Thanks. What did you modify on the shock to gain clearance? (was a hammer involved?) Could you just use a washer or something to space it out further?

Old 05-26-2015, 06:40 PM
ricerocket71
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Redbeard
Thanks. What did you modify on the shock to gain clearance? (was a hammer involved?) Could you just use a washer or something to space it out further?
Redbeard sorry for the delay in getting back to you - my work computer would not load the site and i thought it was down. No they just added more anti virus protection that shut this site down. Anyway

What had to be modified was not the shock by my Super Glide has these thin chrome covers at the very top of the shock. These had to be cut about 1/4 inch on each side to fit the new shocks. Nothing major just a slight annoyance.

Old 11-25-2015, 01:09 PM
ricerocket71
Cruiser

Just a follow up to my review of the Mono Tube suspension on the Dyna
During the past summer the new progressive suspension I installed 444 rear shocks and the Front mono tube suspension has really impressed me with the steering and suspension response. The bike has always been sure footed through all types of weather and road conditions and never failed me. Just recently my wife and I had been in a serious accident (A car Carrier lost one of it ramps in front of me). This incident happened on one of the most treacherous portions of road in Massachusetts. We hit the ramp and both of use including the bike went air borne. The steel rims on the bike bent and Michelin Scorcher tires both were also damaged but they held pressure and didn’t blow. This allowed me to maintain control and keep both of use form serious injury and possibly worse. One of the main factors that I think save us from severe injury was the mono tube suspension, it took most of the exertion keeping the tires from blowing and allowing me to maintain control and not go down.
To the Progressive Folks: Thank you for making such a quality superior product, it actually saved our lives.

Last edited by ricerocket71; 11-25-2015 at 01:12 PM.
Old 11-25-2015, 03:33 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

Wow incredible story, and kudos to you for keeping you and your wife safe!

Happy that you're still around to tell the tale

Old 11-25-2015, 04:12 PM
Davdoodles
Tourer
Received 83 Likes on 52 Posts

Holy Mackerel! That could easily have ended really badly. Well-done, it must have taken some significant self-control and skill to recover from that - Good on you!

Quick Reply: Review of Progressive Monotube for Dyna