Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JD Customs Fairing - Clear or smoked

Old 05-15-2015, 01:10 AM
Racqueteer9
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default JD Customs Fairing - Clear or smoked

I'm at the end of waiting list for a JD Customs Fairing but need to decide between smoked or clear screen. For anyone who owns one, is the smoked too dark to see through? I think the smoked will look better and am planning to mainly look over it but wonder if not seeing anything lower will seem weird.

Old 05-15-2015, 01:45 PM
izhd
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

I'm in the same list Had blacked out 15" rifle- first was a bit weird, than just fine. depends on your shield height. Myself decided on smoked - would get clear one just to black it out by painting inside

Originally Posted by Racqueteer9
I'm at the end of waiting list for a JD Customs Fairing but need to decide between smoked or clear screen. For anyone who owns one, is the smoked too dark to see through? I think the smoked will look better and am planning to mainly look over it but wonder if not seeing anything lower will seem weird.

Old 05-15-2015, 05:35 PM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

I really don't like the look of a clear windshield at all. But being that I need to use a windshield, I always go with smoked. They look a whole lot better IMO. But being that I go with smoked, I always adjust, cut, or trim it to be right under my nose so I'm always looking over it and the wind hits the upper portion of my helmet. So my vote is smoked.

BTW, have you looked at the Rifle Roadster fairings? I don't know if you just like the JD better, or if you're unaware of the Rifle. The Rifle is a great quality product, I personally like the look better, and they're about $250 less than the JD.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 05-15-2015, 09:09 PM
fxdc rider
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The rifle faring is a cheap piece of crap. I currently have one on my bike and for the price it sucks. You pretty much have to build your own mounting brackets and its flimsy as hell. Mine cracked in half under the headlight with the mount that they provide and no i didn't over tighten it. I will be getting a jd custom fairing when i get the money.

Old 05-15-2015, 09:29 PM
Racqueteer9
Road Captain

Looks like smoked it is. Just emailed Lowen at JD to do mine with a 15" smoked. Should be on it's way to me next week.

Old 05-16-2015, 11:38 AM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Smoked!

Old 05-16-2015, 05:22 PM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by fxdc rider
The rifle faring is a cheap piece of crap. I currently have one on my bike and for the price it sucks. You pretty much have to build your own mounting brackets and its flimsy as hell. Mine cracked in half under the headlight with the mount that they provide and no i didn't over tighten it. I will be getting a jd custom fairing when i get the money.
I'm not sure why, but my experience is exactly the opposite of yours. IMO, mine is made of excellent quality and a great bargain at about $350. The fairing itself is very stout and far from flimsy. I found their mounting brackets brilliant in mounting and adjustability. The mount is actually extremely firm & sturdy, to the point of becoming a solid mounted part of the front end.

If they haven't made any changes in their manufacturing since we both bought ours, (I got mine about 7 months ago), I'd suspect maybe yours isn't mounted correctly. I'm not trying to insult your installation, I just can't imagine any other way yours could be a flimsy mount. There's no way you would consider mine a flimsy mount.

Regarding the JD fairing, it seems to me that it may be less sturdy than the Rifle Roadster, due to that split under the headlamp ... which IMO also makes it look poorly and incomplete in comparison.

Old 05-16-2015, 08:30 PM
c-note
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Same waiting list...I went 16" smoke

Old 05-16-2015, 09:18 PM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 106 Posts

Smoked
That's cool. I think the entire waiting list is hd forum guys. I am on the list too. 14" smoked

Old 05-17-2015, 01:32 PM
Racqueteer9
Road Captain

Ha ha, Sounds like we can trade around if heights are incorrect. We've got one each smoked 14", 15", 16".

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: JD Customs Fairing - Clear or smoked