Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody else eat through tail light bulbs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 06:24 PM
2500hdon37s
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,548 Likes on 667 Posts
Default Anybody else eat through tail light bulbs?

2014 street bob with the brake/turn and running lights on each side of the fender. And I find it odd that I've gone through two tail light bulbs in the last few weeks and replaced one a while back. so 3 replacements total, 8000mi on the bike. its NOT isolated to one side or a specific function like brake or running lights. Usually just one filament burns out. Anybody else have this problem? vibration causing them to go out?

Old 05-23-2015, 08:32 PM
JustOneDean
Road Warrior
Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

In my limited experience, bulbs going out too soon multiple times points to a vibration problem, such as from an old and brittle gasket or overtightened fasteners. I haven't swapped out one of these taillights yet, so I don't know how they're put together, but I assume you have two filaments - one with current always flowing through it, and another with current flowing through it only when you're braking. If that's the case, I'd be willing to bet that the first filament is the one that keeps burning out. I'm thinking vibration here, though one of our electrical experts may have a different (and more accurate) theory.

Old 05-23-2015, 08:55 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

What are you replacing them with? There are some out there that are more "rough service". I replaced one of mine at about 5,000. I now have replacement LED's and haven't had any problem. My wife's WG hasn't gone through any yet.
Make sure no moisture is getting in there and put some dielectric grease on the contact. That will help repel water in there if there is any getting in. Vibration is my first theory also, but I don't see why yours would be vibrating so much more than others out there....?

Last edited by BigDogIdaho; 05-23-2015 at 08:57 PM.
Old 05-23-2015, 09:06 PM
2500hdon37s
Stellar HDF Member

first replacement bulb was an OEM HD one made by Stanley. I've got Sylvania long lifes in now. Housings are dry on the insides and have some grease in the sockets. Also making sure I'm careful to put them in without skin contact or any other grease/ oil contact. I'm thinking vibration as well, if these ones hold up for ~ a year I'll be happy if not I'll look for a solution I guess, trying to avoid LED turn/brake/tails if I can help it.

Old 05-24-2015, 01:16 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

Maybe you are just getting some bum bulbs...
Why trying to avoid LED's out of curiosity? I just got some from my local O'Reilly's for like $20 for the pair. Didn't need any other things to make them work. They are even red for my smoked lenses.

Old 05-24-2015, 02:49 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

Yes, my '09 Fatbob has needed a few recently. I'm chalking it up to vibration at this point. LED may be worth a try.

Old 05-24-2015, 11:28 PM
2500hdon37s
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by BigDogIdaho
Maybe you are just getting some bum bulbs...
Why trying to avoid LED's out of curiosity? I just got some from my local O'Reilly's for like $20 for the pair. Didn't need any other things to make them work. They are even red for my smoked lenses.
Possibly, all 3 bulbs that have burned out have been the OEM's. I guess I'll see how the Sylvania's hold up, So far so good with 2k on one of them.

I'd prefer not to go with LED's just because I dont care much for the look of them in my brake/turn lights on the bike. I just really like the clean and simple look of the stock signals.

Old 05-24-2015, 11:37 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,529 Likes on 3,782 Posts

An autopart bulb will not work in a Harley. Even the ones marked heavy duty. The Harley bulb at the Harley parts is heavy duty for vibration.

Also not too long ago, someone was having problems and there was some type of factory mix up where they had the run light on the brake light. It would also be real easy if someone has had it apart to get two pins reversed on the leads and switched them.

Old 05-24-2015, 11:52 PM
LunaticFringe
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

the OEM bulbs should be really good bulb's, they are built heavy duty to take the extra vibration, I don't think regular Sylvanias are as good.

check the voltage at the bulb, if there was too much amperage the fuse would pop.

the LED in the tail light Is pretty cool, it puts a whiter light on the license plate which looks more modern.

Old 05-25-2015, 10:46 AM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by JustOneDean
In my limited experience, bulbs going out too soon multiple times points to a vibration problem, such as from an old and brittle gasket or overtightened fasteners. I haven't swapped out one of these taillights yet, so I don't know how they're put together, but I assume you have two filaments - one with current always flowing through it, and another with current flowing through it only when you're braking. If that's the case, I'd be willing to bet that the first filament is the one that keeps burning out. I'm thinking vibration here, though one of our electrical experts may have a different (and more accurate) theory.
pretty much my thoughts also...I would be wondering why there is enough vibration back there to be trashing lamp filaments...something is loose somewhere...

Go with some bright LEDs and problem solved.

Quick Reply: Anybody else eat through tail light bulbs?