Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Supermeg in the house!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 09:20 PM
Rumblin
Supporter
Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Will the exhaust change require a new tune? I have the D&D Fat Cat that isn't too bad loud wise, but I'm half deaf already. Thought about others but the re-tune kind of sways me from doing more than shopping. Ever hear of or tried the Mighty Plugs ear plugs? They work pretty good I say and stay in the ear pulling on tight helmets. No dba reduction claims. earplugsonline.com

Old 05-26-2015, 09:36 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by robbyville
Thanks so much great to hear! I have the closed end cap for now, was thinking of 16-18 disks. Do you notice much of a change when adding or subtracting a couple at a time?
you won't notice by the seat of your pants you need a dyno for that. what they generally do at the dyno is dial in the torque first with the discs then bring up the HP with the fuel mix.

With your 103 and those cams you will want all 20 discs on there. I run with a supermeg on my FM 107 with their level B heads and 777 cams with 24 discs and an open end cap. jamie @ FM told me the more I open it the better it will run! trust me it is still a quiet system at idle or cruising

Old 05-26-2015, 09:46 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Rumblin
Will the exhaust change require a new tune? I have the D&D Fat Cat that isn't too bad loud wise, but I'm half deaf already. Thought about others but the re-tune kind of sways me from doing more than shopping. Ever hear of or tried the Mighty Plugs ear plugs? They work pretty good I say and stay in the ear pulling on tight helmets. No dba reduction claims. earplugsonline.com
you will need a new tune only if you feel a loss of power or start getting alot of decel pop.sure it will make a difference but dyno time costs big. I assume you had a dyno tune since you haven't mentioned a tuner of your own.

My earplugs are rubber and I found them through earplugs online. they are almost too quiet but I don't hear the wind whistling by anymore! they fit flush just inside the ear very sleek. Cost me 160$. I still think they are worth the money on long rides.
but this thread is for a supermeg, that sucker is quiet enough for my grandma!

Old 05-26-2015, 10:19 PM
arkstreetbob
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by robbyville
Thanks so much great to hear! I have the closed end cap for now, was thinking of 16-18 disks. Do you notice much of a change when adding or subtracting a couple at a time?
Yes. Had it down to 10 disk and had lots of low end. I starter at 21 disk and went down to 10 disk. Then added back to get the power where I wanted it for how I ride.

Old 05-26-2015, 11:39 PM
Red Dragons
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Stock 103 here. Found the best combination of power and sound to be 10 discs with the open end cap. However closed end with, say 20 discs, gives more torque and you can feel it. I just don't like the closed end sound. Plus I found that even with 24 discs, closed end lacked WOT power.

Old 05-27-2015, 05:10 AM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

Awesome thanks guys for all the replies. I'll start with 20 and go from there. I figure since sound was primary for me I'd start with closed end cap and see how I fare. Apparently this will be much stronger than my 2:2 which I feel has plenty of power so I'm not too worried about HP at WOT so long as I have strong torque for riding and **** eating grinning. On the tune, since I'm going from a 2:2 to a 2:1, Chris from V&H has suggested a new map which will be altered for the cams. I'll start with that and then call Chad from Wide Open Cycles and see if he'll take pity on me since we literally just got of the dyno a month ago.

Old 05-27-2015, 06:34 AM
Mr Bentwrench
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is a lot of dyno tuning results for the 1250 Sportsters on the Sportster Forum. The general results there are they generally like the closed cap with a great big stack of disks. Starting with 20 and a closed cap sounds like a good place to start.

Old 05-27-2015, 10:00 AM
Scarfmace
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I bought my FXDF back in 2012 the previous owner had about 5 discs and open end cap on it, lots of popping when decelerating.

I added 8 disks and the closed cap and it almost never pops now and is more quite.

You can really hear the difference in sound with the open/closed cap and feel the difference in torque when you toy with the disks. I would say start with all of em and take of 3 at a time, ride a couple of hours in mixed conditions, highway and small country roads. You will know when you get to the sweet spot.

Old 05-27-2015, 10:06 AM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

Great advice thanks!

Old 05-27-2015, 11:25 AM
97dyna
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Where to start...

My evo is running 14 discs, open end cap with ported/flowed heads and Woods W6 cam.
The guys at SuperTrapp and even their forum will give you a good place to start. But all this talk about discs makes me want to try 4 more. So if anyone has some extra, please pm me.
Enjoy the performance!

Quick Reply: Supermeg in the house!