Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 FXDC - removal of gas gauge

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 02:50 PM
MikeSz
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 FXDC - removal of gas gauge

Wondering if I will need to remove my console on my 2011 SuperGlide Custom in order to remove the stock gas gauge? I am removing it in order to replace the cracked and broken gasket that fits between the gauge bezel and the tank. I am hoping to be able to replace the gasket without removing the console.

Any info greatly appreciated!

Mike

Old 05-27-2015, 03:02 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

I am not sure if you have to remove it completely or just pull it up away from the tank a bit to replace the gasket. To pull it out just grab it firmly and pull straight up, NO twisting.

If you have to disconnect it completely, check out my Thread:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...e-install.html

Old 05-27-2015, 04:16 PM
MikeSz
Cruiser

Thanks Alan! One thing I am trouble understanding: are all the connectors underneath the tank? And once I get enough slack my loosening the clamp, I should be able to pull the gas gauge out of the tank?

I never thought about this, but what keeps the gas from leaking out around the wires where they enter the tank?

But, I am thinking that the new gasket will be stretchy enough for me to simply slip it over the gauge bezel and then push the gauge back in?

That way, I would only need to pull the gauge up about a 1/4 inch? What do u think?

Mike

Old 05-27-2015, 06:39 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by MikeSz
Thanks Alan! One thing I am trouble understanding: are all the connectors underneath the tank? And once I get enough slack my loosening the clamp, I should be able to pull the gas gauge out of the tank?

I never thought about this, but what keeps the gas from leaking out around the wires where they enter the tank?

But, I am thinking that the new gasket will be stretchy enough for me to simply slip it over the gauge bezel and then push the gauge back in?

That way, I would only need to pull the gauge up about a 1/4 inch? What do u think?

Mike
The fuel gauge has 3 wires that run down through a sealed metal tube/tunnel to the bottom left and forward area of your tank. They exit the metal "tube" and go into a white pin housing( Pic in my Thread I linked to you above). The pin housing is too big to slide through the tube and it is a chore to disconnect the 3 wires from the pin housing.

You can pull the fuel gauge up 2-3 inches from the tank no problem - fair amount of slack. If you cannot get the gasket over the top of the fuel gauge you might be able to disconnect the 3 wires from the back of the gauge - I have not done this but I think it is doable.

Old 05-28-2015, 09:12 AM
MikeSz
Cruiser

This all makes sense now. Thank you!

I was quite worried that rain could get into my gas tank because the gasket was broken underneath the gauge. But after your explanation, inspection of my tank underside, and a youtube video, I see that no gas is actually in the tank cavity where the gauge is mounted. And, any rain that does get in will weep out the tube that the wires run through. It seems that the gasket is probably there just to keep the gauge from rattling against the tank. I bet I can slip the gasket over the gauge. Heck, it ought to stretch that much and return to shape, especially if I let the gasket warm up in the sun.

I ordered a new gasket and will let you know what happens.

Mike

Old 05-28-2015, 10:37 AM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member

Glad to help! Yeah, water is not going to get into the tank but if you ride in the rain it could get down below the gauge and some would drain and some may sit in there. Still a good idea to fix the gasket, I'll be watching for the results...

Old 06-10-2015, 12:46 PM
MikeSz
Cruiser

Hey, I was able to gently stretch the gasket enough to slip it over the gas gauge. I picked a warm day. I have to say though, it isn't a super tight seal. The gas gauge would shift a bit, even from new, with only moderate hand pressure. But, it will keep all but the worst torrents of rain from seeping in.

I hardly had to stretch the gasket at all and it appears to have returnrd to 100% of its original shape.

Thanks for your help!

Old 06-10-2015, 10:15 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member

Glad to help! Hope it works out well, ride safe!