Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cant find neutral when bike is stuck in peak hour traffic

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 06:20 AM
2015 Harley Davidson Street Bob Guy's Avatar
2015 Harley Davidson Street Bob Guy
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cant find neutral when bike is stuck in peak hour traffic

I cant find neutral when bike is stuck in peak hour traffic is this normal? This happens to me all the time after 30 minutes of riding into town and getting stuck in peak hour traffic.

Should i take my bike to the dealership to get it looked at or is this normal?

Old 06-05-2015, 06:28 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Couple of suggestions; (1) swap the crap stock oil/fluids for something better (e.g. Spectro, Redline, Amsoil...pretty much anything "non-HD" and (2) maybe have the dealer check your clutch adjustment. Hopefully, between the two, your issue gets resolved.

Old 06-05-2015, 06:35 AM
Tourer

Thank you Sir

Old 06-05-2015, 10:24 AM
dupmaronew
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still have this issue and I've had my bob for 3 years now. I always assumed it was normal. I know it's become easier. It's as if it jumps over neutral

Old 06-05-2015, 10:54 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

The #1 reason for having trouble finding neutral is clutch drag.

At the lever you use the cable adjuster to increase or decrease slack to about 1/16" to 1/8", you need to pull the clutch cable ferrule away from clutch lever bracket to check free play; too much slack and clutch may drag. Mine are always adjusted to the 1/16" free play at the bracket.

At the clutch pack as you turn the clutch adjuster screw clockwise, you adjust toward slippage and as you turn it counterclockwise you increase the slack before disengagement, which is drag. The SM calls for 1/2 to 1 counter clockwise turn after turning the adjuster screw clockwise to lightly seat the screw. Mine are set to nearly 1 full turn as I practice slow speed drills and want the friction zone closer to the grip.

I have zero issues finding neutral with my setup and I completely agree with Iceman, it could be an adjustment issue and indeed there are much better lubricants than the mystery HD whale squeezings to use in your primary

The following users liked this post:
crusader1xxx (08-07-2019)
Old 06-05-2015, 12:06 PM
Tourer

Originally Posted by TinCupChalice
The #1 reason for having trouble finding neutral is clutch drag.

At the lever you use the cable adjuster to increase or decrease slack to about 1/16" to 1/8", you need to pull the clutch cable ferrule away from clutch lever bracket to check free play; too much slack and clutch may drag. Mine are always adjusted to the 1/16" free play at the bracket.

At the clutch pack as you turn the clutch adjuster screw clockwise, you adjust toward slippage and as you turn it counterclockwise you increase the slack before disengagement, which is drag. The SM calls for 1/2 to 1 counter clockwise turn after turning the adjuster screw clockwise to lightly seat the screw. Mine are set to nearly 1 full turn as I practice slow speed drills and want the friction zone closer to the grip.

I have zero issues finding neutral with my setup and I completely agree with Iceman, it could be an adjustment issue and indeed there are much better lubricants than the mystery HD whale squeezings to use in your primary
You've completely lost me there as i am not a handy man could you make a video on this please?

Thanks in advance if you cant then I understand

Old 06-05-2015, 01:43 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Originally Posted by 2015 Harley Davidson Street Bob Guy
You've completely lost me there as i am not a handy man could you make a video on this please?

Thanks in advance if you cant then I understand

Sorry about that, I get to rambling I wouldn't have the first clue how to make a video but I did find this video on YouTube to help explain how the check the clutch cable for proper free play, this is something you could do easily and determine if your cable is correct. You might find the clutch pack adjustment a bit more than you want to tackle but I did find a video on that as well

Old 06-05-2015, 01:55 PM
Tourer

Thanks mate i wished he used metric measurements instead of imperial

Last edited by 2015 Harley Davidson Street Bob Guy; 06-05-2015 at 01:59 PM.
Old 06-05-2015, 03:45 PM
AGSURFR
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman24
Couple of suggestions; (1) swap the crap stock oil/fluids for something better (e.g. Spectro, Redline, Amsoil...pretty much anything "non-HD" and (2) maybe have the dealer check your clutch adjustment. Hopefully, between the two, your issue gets resolved.
I changed over to synthetic in all three holes at 1K. Smooth as butter.........

Old 06-05-2015, 09:06 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by AGSURFR
I changed over to synthetic in all three holes at 1K. Smooth as butter.........
This helped me too. That and adjustment on the clutch.
Hell last time that I had the primary oil changed it started being a pain right before changing the fluid. Then was good again!

Quick Reply: Cant find neutral when bike is stuck in peak hour traffic