Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 Wide Glide riser extension

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 03:05 AM
fra107
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Wide Glide riser extension

Hi guys, i want to add a riser extension to my stock wide glide but i don't know wich size to buy, LA choppers is making it for 1", 1.25" and 1.50", which one is going to fit my bike?
http://www.lachoppers.com/search/ind...&go.x=0&go.y=0

This is the stock riser.........

Thanks

Old 06-06-2015, 06:26 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

On my '13 Wide Glide I'm running the DK Custom 'fat' riser extensions, they're 2" tall and 1.5" in diameter. With 2" tall extensions you won't have any issues with cables or lines save for re-positioning the brake line in the two retaining clamps and the extensions look great. I also replaced the rubber bushings in the upper clamp with solid chrome bushings, the riser is now solidly mounted to the clamp, no movement of the bars/riser.

The riser extensions are an inexpensive way to bring the bars up and back and improve your riding position, $35 well spent

http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/2-In...2-SFT-RSRS.htm

http://www.demonscycle.com/chrome-ha...dson-4120.html

Old 06-06-2015, 09:09 AM
fra107
Intermediate

Thank you so much

Old 06-10-2015, 12:17 AM
fra107
Intermediate

TinCupChalice could you upload some detailed pic of the wiring?
I ordered the extension but i'm not sure my cables are long enough.
Your seat is so nice! What is it?

Old 06-10-2015, 06:31 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by fra107
TinCupChalice could you upload some detailed pic of the wiring?
I ordered the extension but i'm not sure my cables are long enough.
Your seat is so nice! What is it?
What height extensions did you order? I'm running 2" high extensions, my '13 is non-ABS, and unless there's some change I'm not aware of between the USA and European bikes we're running the same cables, lines, and wiring harness and you've got enough to work with; the brake line will be the closest, you'll need to loosen the brake line clamps so the brake line can be slid to a new position in the clamps.

If you went with 3" high extensions the brake line will be at its max length but **should** still fit, the cables and wiring will have no problems. IF your '12 is ABS you should still have enough slack in the brake line based on the ABS Wide Glides I've seen but with my '13 being non-ABS I can't confirm exactly how much slack they've got in their brake line.

The seat is a Le Pera Bare Bones with passenger pillion. I never ride with a passenger but to my eye the Wide Glide just looks better set up with a pillion and passenger pegs instead of a solo seat.

I'll get you some better images of the wiring and cables later this morning and post them in this thread for you to check out

Old 06-10-2015, 09:36 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

After Tin recommended the extensions to me for my wife's '11 WG I installed the DK 2". In the meantime while waiting for him to post pics, it is super easy to install.
Loosen the small clamp that holds the brake line.
Remove the bolts.
Place the extensions between risers and triple tree.
Replace bolts.
Tighten clamps.

I did it solo but it would be easier with an extra hand. The cables were plenty long enough. If your bike is ABS I'm not sure what might be different. I would think your cables should still be long enough also, but not 100% sure.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...de-risers.html

That's my thread on it. I wish I would have taken pictures during the install but I am a dummy and didn't really think of it til I was done....

Last edited by BigDogIdaho; 06-10-2015 at 09:55 AM.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:58 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member

Here's a few shots close up, hope it helps. You can see even with the 2" high extensions there's plenty of wiring, throttle and clutch cable left to go to a 3" high extension easily, the brake line will be your tight spot but I'm sure I could get another 1" if I needed to, otherwise it's like BigDogIdaho posted; the extensions are a simple install, an extra hand does help but just like he did I did it myself including changing out the rubber bushings for solids; the higher the bars go the more leverage you've got and the more they move with rubber bushings, solids bushings are just that, I don't notice any increased vibration in the bars or mirrors but the bars/risers are rock solid mounted to the upper clamp now... If you need any more images let me know

Edit: One minute, PhotoBucket just died, I'll upload them again Second edit: They're in there, hopefully PhotoBucket wakes up and lets you see them!

Last edited by TinCupChalice; 06-10-2015 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Isn't the internet fun? :)
Old 06-11-2015, 03:57 AM
fra107
Intermediate

Thank you very much guys, i will post pics of mine when i will receive and install it.....

Old 06-11-2015, 04:39 AM
fra107
Intermediate

TinCupChalice did you change the bolts too?

I don't have the small clamp on the triple tree, do you know what part number is it?

Last edited by fra107; 06-11-2015 at 04:41 AM.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:15 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by fra107
TinCupChalice did you change the bolts too?

I don't have the small clamp on the triple tree, do you know what part number is it?
The DK Custom 2" riser extension kit came the the necessary longer 4.5" x 1/2" grade 8 bolts.

As far as the upper clamp brake line retaining clamp HD lists 3 parts:

# 4104 - screw
#7118 - lockwasher
# 10031 - clamp

There's also a rubber bushing but HD doesn't list a part number, hopefully it's included with the # 10031 brake line clamp...

Quick Reply: 2012 Wide Glide riser extension