Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet another speedo problem thread - 2003 FXDWG

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 06:19 PM
ettev
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yet another speedo problem thread - 2003 FXDWG

I'll first start by saying I've read every speedo thread in the Dyna forum before posting this. No luck, so here we go:

2003 Wide Glide, 11,800 miles. One day my road speed portion of my speedo quit. My odometer and trip odometer both function properly. My turn signals work properly as does my horn. Dash/speedo and small indicator light all function properly. Bike starts, idles and runs excellent. With run/stop switch on "run" I held in the trip odometer reset button and turned on the key switch to access diagnostics. All code holders (d01 thru d10 all indicated "CLR" after the portal numbers....eg "d01CLR", etc). They were followed by a PPU display the the number 84172 to finish off the diagnostic toggles. When i turn the key switch on the speedo needle will try to do the normal justification reset only sporadically, maybe once every 4 or 5 times.

Removed, cleaned and replaced the VSS on the tranny (it was clean.....no metal shavings). No change in speedo function. Replaced the VSS and still no speedo road speed. Checked all the fuses and they look good. Connector under the seat plugged in tight.

Rode it this afternoon and while going at highway speed the speedo needle VERY slowly creeped up to 20MPH and stayed there. Made a stop and shut the bike off and the speedo stayed at 20MPH. Hopped back on, rode at highway speed and the needle again slowly went up to and stuck at 80MPH. Parked the bike at home and it's still showing 80MPH.

Here's my question in brevity form......WTF?

To add insult to injury HD tells me that my speedo unit is no longer available from them. Thanks HD. Drag Specialties has a nearly identical replacement which is what I'll go with if you guys come to the consensus that the speedo unit took a crap.