Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaks from Primary?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 07:28 AM
Northern Cowboy
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Leaks from Primary?

My bike leaks oil if I have it resting on the Jiffy stand, but stays dry if I have it upright in a wheel chock. It is a 2007 FXD that has forward controls. The mid controls were replaced about 1,000 miles ago and no problems until a five hour ride about 75 miles ago.

I have changed out the primary gasket and replaced the tower gasket on the inner primary along with the derby cover. I cannot see where the oil is coming from underneath or behind the primary, but thought with the clue that it only leaks when it is on the jiffy stand may help isolate the area to focus on to find and repair the leak.

Has anybody had a similar problem? Any ideas of what I should do?

Old 06-11-2015, 08:44 AM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Kinda doubt the primary gasket or tower gasket would be the problem. Thinking the inner primary bearing/seal, transmission area(main drive gear seal) or maybe the crankcase gasket.

Really need to find out exactly where the leak is coming from. Might have to get underneath the bike with a flashlight and start investigating. Some guys recommend using dye to determine if it is from the primary or transmission. Once you nail down where and which fluid is leaking then you can move forward.

Old 06-11-2015, 01:43 PM
0lowrider1
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

When I can't find a leak I get some UV dye from autozone..or local parts store. .put a little in primary ride it get it hot..then look at it with a black light..if not primary it could be the shifter shift seal..put a Lil in Trans and do same thing..

Old 06-11-2015, 07:07 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,347 Likes on 2,369 Posts

Using a small inspection mirror and good flashlight look at the shift shaft going into the trans. Also check the level of your trans fluid, if its too high it could be migrating past the shift shaft seal when on the jiffy stand. I try to keep my fluid about just above the add mark on the trans dipstick.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:26 PM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts

I have the same year and model bike. I had a leak from the shift shaft seal. I had to lay on my back on the right side and slide my head under there and could only see it if I pointed a flashlight under there around where the shift shaft goes into the transmission.

Old 06-11-2015, 09:34 PM
Davdoodles
Tourer
Received 83 Likes on 52 Posts

I'm betting shifter shaft seal too (where the shaft goes into the transmission/gearbox, behind the primary).

Using a bright light and looking down over the primary with an inspection mirror should show any oil leak from it fairly clearly.

It split and started leaking on mine at 20,000 miles or so. Try checking the tranny oil level first, as suggested above, it could be too high which could cause a leak when leaned over. It's a tiny part, only worth a couple of bucks, but need to remove the whole primary to get at it...

Old 06-11-2015, 09:45 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,567 Likes on 3,814 Posts

I would tell you but every time I get to the end of the first sentence, my eyes jerk back to the start.

Old 06-12-2015, 06:04 AM
Northern Cowboy
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks everyone! I will check the shifter shaft seal. That seems like it may be the culprit

Old 06-12-2015, 10:19 AM
dpoll995
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

i got a new derby cover and gasket, put it on and it was leaking. found out that the new derby cover had a small chip of metal stuck to it. that was causing my leak.

Old 06-12-2015, 10:26 AM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by dpoll995
i got a new derby cover and gasket, put it on and it was leaking. found out that the new derby cover had a small chip of metal stuck to it. that was causing my leak.
I had a warped derby cover on mine that caused it to leak.

Quick Reply: Leaks from Primary?