Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems Starting

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 07:18 AM
sarpeezy
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Problems Starting

So I have had this starting issue for some time now, it would start just fine when cold, but would give out like a grinding noise if i started when hot.

I looked it up and lot of people are saying either compensator or the starter clutch..Does anyone have any input on this?

Also this happened for the first time today, I put the key to "Ignition", put the bike on "Run" but when I press "Start"...nothing.

The bike has good battery so its not that, it almost feels like the starter isnt even there, not a click let alone a crank..any ideas what this might be? (this one happened this morning when the bike was cold)

Old 06-12-2015, 12:14 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 969 Likes on 732 Posts

You say the battery is good, unless you had it load tested you can't tell just by the standing voltage. Look at the terminals at the battery and ground cable, clean them up if needed and make sure they're tight.
It could be the starter clutch but I would first look at the starter relay. See if the tabs are clean and make good contact. Those are generic and cheap, you can get a new one at an auto parts store and see if it works.

Old 06-12-2015, 12:32 PM
rustang
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not sure on the grinding on warm. i used to have that happen once in a while on my 08. my negative terminal was a bit fried. finally got a new battery and it hasn't happened since. these bikes draw a TON of power when starting. if you don't have a perfect connection it'll cause all sorts of screw ups.

as for the starter not doing anything, was the bike in neutral? ive swapped my bars a ton, and eventually noticed that depending on install, sometimes i can start the bike in gear with the clutch pulled in, sometimes it's got to be in neutral. i'm not sure which way the factory intended, but i know there's a small switch in the pod someplace that causes this. if you're attempting to start with the bike in gear and getting nothing, i'll bet that's your issue. as a side note, if you install a push starter right on your starter ($11 part) that will always start the bike with the clutch pulled in. it's a nice back up just in case anything ever goes haywire in your pod.

Old 06-12-2015, 05:16 PM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

I had that happen one time and then again a few months later when the starter hung up because both the start/run switches shorted out at the same time and the starter stayed engaged when the engine cranked. Made a hell of a racket!