Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Motor Mount

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 05:28 PM
stilup
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

I think you need to do some other checks on the front end.
i would check the whole front wheel for uneven wear, tire pressure, spoke tension,fall away adjustment,even check the bearings.
Sounds like you have more than one issue affecting the front end.

Old 06-25-2015, 05:17 AM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by bringtheruckus
I dont wanna veer this thread off track too much but i have been thinking about the vt front mount or the bbc rear mount. i see here you say the front is the culprit. my bike has developed a GNARLY shuffle (yes ive ridden old and new harleys, all rigid mount motors tho, that shuffled and its always been "fine" and controllable for me) but this is to the point of feeling out of control on the verge of high siding or tank slapping, scaring the **** out of people riding behind me and myself. Im assuming its the motor mounts but i havent pulled them apart as i hate digging before knowing. i do have sputhe front and rear stabilizers
Not normal. Something is loose, worn, or out of alignment.
Have you checked swingarm bushings? Have you checked vertical alignment of the front and back wheels?

Old 06-25-2015, 08:31 AM
bringtheruckus
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fallaway was SLIGHTLY loose, tightened that up a little bit. I also had my axle and fender loose last night putting on a fork brace so I've got that all freshly tightened up. It felt a ton better but I wasnt doing any 80-90mph sweepers so its hard to judge, It felt much tighter tho. Bearings and alignment were checked/adjusted when I got it dyno tuned last. I havent checked any of the mounts or bushings, I guess that will be my next step depending on how my trip goes this weekend. Thanks guys!

Old 06-30-2015, 11:27 AM
Ironhead.Chris
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HD Bobber
Let us know how much sputhe wants just for the rear setup.

Sputhe finally got back to me. Just the rear is $208.00 plus shipping. That's too pricey for me so I won't be going that route.

-Chris

Old 06-30-2015, 11:32 AM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 201 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironhead.Chris
Sputhe finally got back to me. Just the rear is $208.00 plus shipping. That's too pricey for me so I won't be going that route.

-Chris
Thanks for getting back to us.

If I were to go that route and get the Sputhe I would most likely get a fresh rear mount from HD ($100), which then is in the same territory as the new BBC rear motor mount.........really thinking about it for this winter.

Old 06-30-2015, 01:24 PM
Ironhead.Chris
Tourer

Originally Posted by HD Bobber
Thanks for getting back to us.

If I were to go that route and get the Sputhe I would most likely get a fresh rear mount from HD ($100), which then is in the same territory as the new BBC rear motor mount.........really thinking about it for this winter.

I received the Predator front mount yesterday and now I'm just waiting for the rear mount to show up. The cheapest I found the rear was at Surdyke. It was $82 shipped which was about ten dollars cheaper than the next online HD parts house.

I'd like to do the sputhe rear but just can't justify the cash. I've read on here numerous times that the shitty front design is the big problem. Once I get everything installed and aligned I'll report back with my findings.

-Chris

Old 07-04-2015, 03:08 AM
Ironhead.Chris
Tourer

I installed both mounts today, the rear is a new OE Harley part and the front is the Predator from VT. When I pulled the front one it was seriously trashed. The housing was really badly tweaked and the rubber was in horrible shape. It was way worse than my rear one.

The install of both mounts went great, no problems of any kind. My rear wheel is now centered in the fender, it was was way to the left before I did the mounts.

The test ride afterwards was great. There is a buzzing type vibration at around 2500 rpm at lower speeds but that's pretty much it. Cruising on the freeway was super smooth, it felt like a brand new bike. I'm stilling going to align the drive train one of these days just to be safe. Overall replacing these two mounts have been the best thing I've done to the bike.

-Chris

Old 07-04-2015, 07:47 AM
stilup
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

How bad was the rear mount?

Old 07-04-2015, 01:03 PM
Ironhead.Chris
Tourer

Originally Posted by stilup
How bad was the rear mount?
The housing or cage that the rubber is in was kinda tweaked. The rubber looked decent but had very light cracking.

I think that it's a good idea to replace this mount even if it doesn't look bad. Over time the mount will start to sag and tweak.

When I had my jack underneath my trans, I couldn't believe how much more I had to jack it up to get the new rear mount on.

-Chris

Old 07-08-2015, 09:24 PM
sonnybro1
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I changed both of mine last month. The back was trashed, all the rubber was tore. It felt like I no suspension at all.