Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Motor Mount

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 12:59 AM
Ironhead.Chris
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rear Motor Mount

So my front motor mount is REALLY BAD. I just ordered a VT front mount and I'm wondering if my front being so bad could have messed up my rear. I think I read on here somewhere that the rear never goes bad. I'd like to check it but I can't see it to check if it's bad or not. What do you guys think? Should I order an OE rear just to be safe or just do the front and go from there?

-Chris

Old 06-23-2015, 04:59 AM
stilup
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

I just installed the VT front mount only.
That is the real culprit.
The rear is still good for me.
Bike handles great and just the other day in very wet windy held the road nicely.
I think it's a bit overkill changing the rear.
You make the call.

Old 06-23-2015, 05:20 PM
Ironhead.Chris
Tourer

Originally Posted by stilup
Bike handles great and just the other day in very wet windy held the road nicely.
You make the call.

Thanks Stilup, I was gonna leave the rear alone after reading your reply but it just kept bugging. I had to know what the condition was so I decided to pull the rear to check it just in case. Here are some pictures of it, what do you guys think?

-Chris

Old 06-23-2015, 05:37 PM
Davdoodles
Tourer
Received 83 Likes on 52 Posts

It looks ok to me, no obvious ripping etc. Unlike the fronts (which are a shamefully unreliable part) the rears do seem to be generally reliable.

While you've got it all apart, maybe think about getting a Sputhe Positrack stabiliser for the rear (he sells fronts and rears separately, while I inderstand TrueTrack only sells the set) to complement your VT front one.

Depending on replacement cost and how many miles you've got on the bike, I'd also be thinking about replacing the rear mount anyway, just because it's already out and on the workbench...

Old 06-23-2015, 05:52 PM
Ironhead.Chris
Tourer

Originally Posted by Davdoodles
It looks ok to me, no obvious ripping etc. Unlike the fronts (which are a shamefully unreliable part) the rears do seem to be generally reliable.

While you've got it all apart, maybe think about getting a Sputhe Positrack stabiliser for the rear (he sells fronts and rears separately, while I inderstand TrueTrack only sells the set) to complement your VT front one.

Depending on replacement cost and how many miles you've got on the bike, I'd also be thinking about replacing the rear mount anyway, just because it's already out and on the workbench...

Thanks Davdoodles. It's funny you bring up the Sputhe stabilizer, I emailed them last night asking them how much just the rear is. Still not sure if I'm going to go that route though.

I found a thread on here with a member stating that when he did the VT front mount it was night and day but when he added the Sputhe rear stabilizer a few days later he felt no added benefit so I'm not sure it's worth the extra money. I'll see what they say about a price and go from there.

The more I look at this rear mount it looks like the metal frame is tweaked. Not sure if it's supposed to be that way from the factory or mine is just weird. There is also some really light cracking throughout the rubber. A new OE mount is about $75 plus shipping so it's not too bad.

-Chris

Old 06-23-2015, 06:22 PM
joe40x
Road Warrior
Received 656 Likes on 383 Posts

It's already out...change it and forget about it for a few years. Or, leave it in and and wonder. I'd rather make it bullet proof and forget it than wonder if I should have changed it.

Old 06-23-2015, 06:36 PM
Ironhead.Chris
Tourer

Originally Posted by joe40x
It's already out...change it and forget about it for a few years. Or, leave it in and and wonder. I'd rather make it bullet proof and forget it than wonder if I should have changed it.
Thanks Joe, I'm gonna order it right now.

-Chris

Old 06-23-2015, 07:11 PM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 201 Likes on 154 Posts

Let us know how much sputhe wants just for the rear setup.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:56 PM
Ironhead.Chris
Tourer

Originally Posted by HD Bobber
Let us know how much sputhe wants just for the rear setup.

Will do.

Old 06-24-2015, 11:05 AM
bringtheruckus
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stilup
You make the call.
I dont wanna veer this thread off track too much but i have been thinking about the vt front mount or the bbc rear mount. i see here you say the front is the culprit. my bike has developed a GNARLY shuffle (yes ive ridden old and new harleys, all rigid mount motors tho, that shuffled and its always been "fine" and controllable for me) but this is to the point of feeling out of control on the verge of high siding or tank slapping, scaring the **** out of people riding behind me and myself. Im assuming its the motor mounts but i havent pulled them apart as i hate digging before knowing. i do have sputhe front and rear stabilizers

Last edited by bringtheruckus; 06-24-2015 at 11:07 AM.

Quick Reply: Rear Motor Mount