Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do they really help?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 02:34 AM
Railhog
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oh yeah

love the batwing! And the heated hand grips, and the radio, and the highway bars... I think I may be getting soft in my old age

Old 06-29-2015, 06:28 AM
allsop
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I added the quarter faring from HD.

IT took the pressure off my chest, and keeps the gravel and bugs from hitting my face. The down side to the quarter fairing for me was to custom make the mounting, so the fairing sits snug to bike and cannot be removed with any ease. I would not use this fairing with stock mounting. Makes it look goofy.

Old 06-29-2015, 06:57 AM
darkhdshadow
Cruiser

i have a klockwerks flare windshield with detachable hardware, but i never take it off. great in wind and rain, without use of a helmet. i have drove 90+mph in wind with strapless sunglasses and they don't really even move. at night i ride with just my reading/seeing glasses.

Old 06-29-2015, 07:08 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,510 Likes on 2,133 Posts

Originally Posted by darkhdshadow
i have a klockwerks flare windshield with detachable hardware, but i never take it off. great in wind and rain, without use of a helmet. i have drove 90+mph in wind with strapless sunglasses and they don't really even move. at night i ride with just my reading/seeing glasses.

That's a big selling point. I wear glasses and switch to Wily-x scripts' when riding - which are great btw, but I'd like to not have to switch.

Old 06-29-2015, 06:19 PM
socialoutcast
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It all depends really. A fairing like my Conely 1/4 will take most all the buffeting off your chest but you will still get a lot on your face. Where with a windshield you are more likely to have the feeling of no wind on the face or chest. I have rode both type. I have the 1/4 on my WG and my GF has a windshield on her SB. On hers I feel like I may as well be in a damn car.

Old 06-29-2015, 06:28 PM
hallfleming
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I rode my Street Bob to work today on nothing but a major interstate. I used the 14" quick detachable windshield and it makes a huge difference. The only thing that drives me nuts is the dirty air bobble head buffering. I wore my full face and if I cracked the screen up one notch open, it shook something violent. It got pretty crispy behind the shield. Sometimes looking at my Power Vision screen or a road sign, my vision would actual blur at 70 mph from the weird air. The good news is my arms weren't tired from feeling like a human parachute. I like the 14" cause you can see over it. I hate looking through the glass. Also, I'd think the 19" models would bobble worse.

My opinion is you'll always have some sort of dirty air running a fairing or windshield. I even complain about bobble head effect on my Ultra Classic and you can't get much better than that...

Old 06-29-2015, 07:31 PM
Johnnyh14
Road Warrior
Received 177 Likes on 102 Posts

I ride a Dyna too. I ride 55 - 65 on the highway without a windshield or fairing. You get use to it. I am thinking about a fairing but on a bigger bike.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:01 PM
majastee508
Intermediate

i noticed a difference with my reproduction t sport fairing and 12" screen. wish screen was a little higher but it def helps keep wind off my chest.

Old 06-29-2015, 09:50 PM
bob kegogi
Advanced

It's hard to ride 70 and below on the freeway, plus I normally ride in the fast lane, my thinking, nobody is gonna lane dive me from the left side, if I'm hauling a$$. Sure one can get a ticket, but I'll take a ticket over getting hit anyday. That's just my thought process on speed, 70 is ripe where I ride to get passed on both sides, which scares me. Everybody is different. Cars are dangerous to motorcycles.

Last edited by bob kegogi; 06-29-2015 at 09:55 PM.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:36 PM
charger426
Cruiser

I have an Electra Glide for going on trips and just bought a Dyna for shorter runs. The Dyna came with a MS windshield and it buffers my head. I'm going to give their 1/4 faring a shot. Looking to get the air off my chest some. Now I don't think even with a batwing faring you will get to the ride of a bagger. HD designs their baggers for comfort and long runs. Down to the floorboards being designed to isolate the riders feet at typical cruising RPMs.

Quick Reply: Do they really help?