Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

first bike

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 04:22 AM
scrub
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first bike

hey guys and gals, im thinking about buying my first bike ever. Never been on a motorcycle. Im 6'1" tall weigh 255 and will be riding around 150 miles a day. I wanted more of a touring like the electra glide but the folks in that forum suggested I start off with something a little lighter like a DYNA. What are your thoughts?

Old 07-07-2015, 06:01 AM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

Best to start on something lighter and less expensive than a Dyna. Think 500-750cc Import until you get used to being on two wheels.

Old 07-07-2015, 06:45 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Originally Posted by OldEnuf2NoBtr
Best to start on something lighter and less expensive than a Dyna. Think 500-750cc Import until you get used to being on two wheels.
This... I'd also add with you having zero motorcycling experience you should consider taking a basic motorcycle safety course before you buy any motorcycle, you don't know what you don't know yet and a beginner's class will start you down the correct path. Owning a motorcycle is the easy part, it's developing your skills with throttle control, friction zone, braking, vision, cornering technique, and situational awareness that are the lifetime pursuit Never forget that motorcycling is technique and not instinct, your instincts will get you hurt and proper training is the only way to become a true motorcyclist. You're going to have a great adventure ahead of you but the most important thing you can do right now is improve yourself and your skillset before you spend too much time worrying about what your 'dream bike' is...

Last edited by TinCupChalice; 07-07-2015 at 06:50 AM. Reason: Always one typo... doh!
Old 07-07-2015, 06:47 AM
jmb79
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Agreed. If the OP has never even been on a motorcycle, as his post states, then find a lighter, less expensive bike than a Harley. There are many inexpensive used Japanese imports around that would make a great first bike. If you are still riding after six months, and feel comfortable and safe when you ride, move up to an HD.

Old 07-07-2015, 07:08 AM
charger426
Cruiser

Take a motorcycle safety course! While you wont be a pro after the class it will give you some basics and give you a leg up on someone just coming from a peddle bike. As fair as first bike in concerned its whatever you want. I took the MSC and then used a Yamaha VMAX to get my feet wet lol. After riding the VMAX for about a month I started to ride a Harley Electra Glide. I than put a tour pack on the EG and had a blast the rest of the year. What I'm am glad to see is people NOT recommending a Sportster. While the sportster is small you kinda sit on the bike and not in it like a dyna. While the sportster is fun I don't think it would be a great beginners bike...more of a toy throw around bike. Anyway you go have fun and be safe.

Old 07-07-2015, 07:19 AM
Skins45
Novice

I don't know about you guys but I wouldn't want to spend much money on a 500-750cc bike, just to get bored a few months later and NOT be able to sell it in a buyer's market. If it were me all over again, I would buy exactly what I wanted and knew I would keep for years. I know this goes against what most - if not all - people will say here but if you're not stupid, you'll be fine. Start slow, build skills (even if you're tooling around in a vacant parking lot for weeks) and get comfortable.

That being said, I would DEFINITELY take the riders course before anything. Awesome thing to get you started. And if your state is anything like Ohio, you can get your license after passing without having to take any other tests.

Edit: Disclaimer: You know what kind of person you are. If you are a natural, coordinated, and pick things up easily then go for it! If you have any doubts then go ahead and play it safe and start smaller. It doesn't make you any less of a person!

Last edited by Skins45; 07-07-2015 at 07:22 AM.
Old 07-07-2015, 08:00 AM
alzylstra3
Advanced

Very good advice here. I agree with taking the safety course and also starting out with a used metric. I would recommend a used Honda VTX 1300C. Very comparable in size to a Dyna with enough power to get you down the road but not enough to get you into much trouble. After a year or two you'll know what type of rider you are and can make a good choice when shopping Harley Davidson! Just my $.02.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:12 AM
scrub
Intermediate

thanks everybody for all the input. The final result is I want a harley EG someday. But the question is how to get there safely.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:50 AM
Chase1961
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hard to believe the guys in the touring section recommend starting out on a Dyna. My advice is like most, take a riders course, buy a used metric for 2-4k and see if riding is for you. I've seen where someone has to have a Harley only to figure out they're really not into riding. Now they have 12k tied up in a Dyna and don't ride it. If you enjoy riding then you can trade for something you want.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:54 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,152 Likes on 6,212 Posts

Pick up an older Honda VLX Shadow 600cc. They can be had for a song and a dance.

My first real street motorcycle was a Honda CB 650 Custom. I learned so much on that thing in the late 80's.

Quick Reply: first bike