Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New tires, not so fun....

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 05:08 AM
wastedranger
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

Just out of curiosity. Are you guys changing tires with tubes on spoked wheels or tubeless tires on cast wheels? Seems like a lot of time being put in on my spoked wheels.

Old 07-28-2015, 03:07 AM
JayOhh
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Back from vacation and went in and got them to change the direction on the tire this weekend. ABS is now working again and all is well, but NeXT time I'll change the tires myself.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:55 AM
jaxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JayOhh
So I've been stressing all morning. Going to Bulgary with the family for 2 weeks today, but I figured I could mount some fresh rubber before I go.

Took of the wheels yesterday and delivered them at my local "tire-store". Picked them up this morning. First of all it was way too expensive, so I was a little pissed already. Threw the wheels in my landcruiser and drove home. The first thing I saw was that one rubbercap for the valve was missing. Then there was resedue from the old weights on the rim. They didn't even try to take it off. So I was even more pissed off.

Anyways. Put the wheels on and went for a testride. ABS-light keeps blinking. Figured maybe it would go out after a while, so I kept riding. Stopped by the local gas-station to check what preassure they put in. 44psi in the front, 36psi in the rear

Rode her home and parked in my driveway, ABS still blinking. So I took a look at the sensors and wires to make sure I didn't f@kk something up. On the front wheel I see a grey plastic-looking "bearing" on the right side of the wheel ( ABS-bearing? ) AND the valve is on the left side. So I guess they managed to put the tyre on the wrong way aswell.

Don't have time to fix this now. But to say the least I'm NOT happy with this transaction....
I feel for ya that is why I do all my own work-- much fewer headaches

Old 08-04-2015, 07:49 PM
Flinter
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by wastedranger
Just out of curiosity. Are you guys changing tires with tubes on spoked wheels or tubeless tires on cast wheels? Seems like a lot of time being put in on my spoked wheels.
I did tubed tires.

Old 08-05-2015, 07:31 AM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 106 Posts

you guys that do your own tires
Do you use the balance beads or do you use traditional wieghts and a wheel truing/static balance stand

i enjoy working on my bikes and i have set up a nice little shop in my garage . Tires are the only thing i take my bikes to the shop for, but i would like to learn to change my own tires.

Old 08-05-2015, 08:02 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

I take my wheel(s) off and bring them and the new skin to my indy who does mounts and balances for 10.00. He doesnt remove the residue from the old weights and I dont hold it against him. Id rather do it myself anyway to avoid possible scratches. Ive never had any issues with tire direction being wrong but he did ask me if my disk was on the left once (front). Using tape to put on a directional arrow is a great idea, especially if your dropping them off. Someone should have confirmed the wheel direction when you dropped them off. It also wouldnt have hurt to check them after picking them up.

It sounds like they also screwed up the proper psi. They probably would have been 10% lower if you checked them cold like your suppose to