Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New tires, not so fun....

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 06:26 AM
JayOhh
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New tires, not so fun....

So I've been stressing all morning. Going to Bulgary with the family for 2 weeks today, but I figured I could mount some fresh rubber before I go.

Took of the wheels yesterday and delivered them at my local "tire-store". Picked them up this morning. First of all it was way too expensive, so I was a little pissed already. Threw the wheels in my landcruiser and drove home. The first thing I saw was that one rubbercap for the valve was missing. Then there was resedue from the old weights on the rim. They didn't even try to take it off. So I was even more pissed off.

Anyways. Put the wheels on and went for a testride. ABS-light keeps blinking. Figured maybe it would go out after a while, so I kept riding. Stopped by the local gas-station to check what preassure they put in. 44psi in the front, 36psi in the rear

Rode her home and parked in my driveway, ABS still blinking. So I took a look at the sensors and wires to make sure I didn't f@kk something up. On the front wheel I see a grey plastic-looking "bearing" on the right side of the wheel ( ABS-bearing? ) AND the valve is on the left side. So I guess they managed to put the tyre on the wrong way aswell.

Don't have time to fix this now. But to say the least I'm NOT happy with this transaction....

Old 07-08-2015, 07:00 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Oh man, it's stories like this that got me to start changing my own tires years ago. I've now started using the Honda dealer for my tires since they have such a minimal charge to change out my tires but I use the 'trust but verify' approach. I take my wheels and new tires in to the Honda dealer and I put blue tape with big arrows drawn on the wheels and new tires showing rotation and when I pick them up I make certain everything is done correctly, so far go good.

When you consider how important tires are a business that treats them with the clear lack of care you experienced would anger me as well. I hope you can get the job properly done, too bad it's going to take a couple of tries due to their incompetence...

Old 07-08-2015, 09:27 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

I hate the trial and error. It seems like anyone can have a tire shop.....

I took my wife's WG to the local Yamaha dealer being as I paid about $200 less for the exact same tire as the HD dealer. Crazy....

Old 07-08-2015, 06:53 PM
stilup
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Buy my tires online and take the wheels to Cycle gear. Good price, good job.
Same day service too.

Old 07-08-2015, 07:18 PM
Flinter
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts

I changed my own for the first time this year.

So simple I'll never pay anyone to do it again.

Old 07-08-2015, 09:18 PM
LunaticFringe
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

they didn't put the tire on wrong, you put the wheel on wrong.

Old 07-08-2015, 09:25 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by LunaticFringe
they didn't put the tire on wrong, you put the wheel on wrong.
Yes they did and yes he did.
Well as long his tire was directional they did I should say. I'm guessing he put it on so the tire was rotating in the correct direction...
Dual discs up front?

Old 07-08-2015, 09:33 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

I have been riding since March 1956 and have always changed my own tires. Many decades just with spoons but a few years ago I got a tire changer.

I just did the front tire on my Buell Ulysses. Finally made a mistake. As I just finished torquing the axle and pinch bolts to specs when I realized that I forgot to balance the tires.

Got lucky though. I took a test ride before removing the wheel and balance it. It turned out to be smooth as silk at speed. I had indexed it when I mounted the tire and that seemed to be enough.

All humans make mistakes but those in business should check their work before it leaves the shop.

Old 07-08-2015, 10:34 PM
fxdlx
Road Master
Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts

Changing the tire and pouring in balance beads is a 15 minute job once it's off the bike, after you've done one or two.
(thats using tire spoons, you don't even need a tire changer, if you don't want one)

Old 07-08-2015, 11:16 PM
Lama
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I always put masking tape on each wheel and with a sharpie pen I draw a big arrow ----------> pointing in the direction of rotation of the WHEEL.

I then pull all the weights off the wheel MYSELF and clean them. They sure wont do so, and if they do it will be with a screwdriver or something to scratch the wheel. Go figure.

Clean the entire wheel perfectly to show NO SCRATCHES.

Only then will I deliver my wheels to a motorcycle shop or MC tire shop.

I once had one mounted backwards, a rear. When I went to pick it up, I luckily caught it.

Guy said.... "oh I thought it was a sportster".....

I said "It had tires on them when I brought them in, with arrows on the tires".

Silence....

Never again.

Quick Reply: New tires, not so fun....