Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Fat Bob handle bar questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 10:03 AM
NickTheJick
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 Fat Bob handle bar questions

I'm brand new to motorcycles and I can't seem to find the answers I'm looking for so I figured I'd ask around.

My 2014 Fat Bob factory handlebars are slightly bent on the left side (from the bike being dropped once) and the risers are too (not sure if its the bolts or actual riser) and I want to replace them.

I would like to change them out for similar drag bars. I really like these I found at wild1 Wild1 StreetFighters but I was wondering if anyone knows if I would have to replace or extend my wires to put these on.

I do want to keep my factory risers if they can be fixed other wise I'll replace them with black 6 in straight risers from wild1.

From what I can tell those bars are 2 in wider and have 1.5 more in pullback
then my factory setup, if I have to replace the risers that's another inch added to height.

It would be nice to have a more upright position when I ride but I really don't want to have to replace all the wires or extend them if I don't have to.

Old 07-13-2015, 10:26 PM
EricInNCa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

It doesn't sound like the changes you are going to make will require new cables, brake lines or wires. There is usually quite a bit of wiring in the neck and the cables and brake lines usually can get you up at least 3 inches over stock. IF you go up with 6" risers and then have the rise of the bars, you may be pushing it...My disclaimer is...This info is based on my 2010 Fatbob. Good luck.

Old 07-13-2015, 10:33 PM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team

Received 734 Likes on 504 Posts

I think those are my bars, you'll dig 'em, great feel!

Old 07-14-2015, 07:35 AM
c-note
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by EricInNCa
It doesn't sound like the changes you are going to make will require new cables, brake lines or wires. There is usually quite a bit of wiring in the neck and the cables and brake lines usually can get you up at least 3 inches over stock. IF you go up with 6" risers and then have the rise of the bars, you may be pushing it...My disclaimer is...This info is based on my 2010 Fatbob. Good luck.
2011 fxdf and I agree with this. 2" is about the max you can add on top of your stock config. It was tight for me to fit 1" riser extensions.

The first thing I would do is replace your riser bushings....the rubber ones likey got all compressed and out of whack when your bike went down. Poly or aluminim bushings for 40 bucks might straighten out your risers.

Old 07-14-2015, 08:22 AM
MAJ Ethanolic
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I have 6" wild1's on my 2008 and no need to change wiring. And a huge improvement over stock. A little higher and a little further back.

Old 07-14-2015, 08:27 AM
NickTheJick
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After really taking a good look at the wires after work yesterday, it seems the clutch cable will be the biggest headache.

So first I'm gonna take c-note's advice and see if I can fix the risers, if not then I'm gonna just forget about more pullback and get 3.5 in risers from Wild1 instead of 6 in and that should work out.

I'm 6'2" and I ride every day, I have noticed some back "strain" after leaving work and riding home but so far no pain, if It gets to pain the low drag look I'm going for is out the window I guess.

Old 07-14-2015, 08:25 PM
c-note
Road Master

I have read that there is significantly extra cable in 08, 09 and 10 fxdf's. In 11 and after harley went to shorter stock cables on the fxdf to clean up the front end a bit. Without a doubt the brake line is the #1 limiting factor.

Old 07-14-2015, 08:27 PM
c-note
Road Master

Originally Posted by NickTheJick
After really taking a good look at the wires after work yesterday, it seems the clutch cable will be the biggest headache.

So first I'm gonna take c-note's advice and see if I can fix the risers, if not then I'm gonna just forget about more pullback and get 3.5 in risers from Wild1 instead of 6 in and that should work out.

I'm 6'2" and I ride every day, I have noticed some back "strain" after leaving work and riding home but so far no pain, if It gets to pain the low drag look I'm going for is out the window I guess.
Let us know how you make out....that way the next guy knows.

Old 07-30-2015, 07:37 AM
BM05FLHT
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by c-note
2011 fxdf and I agree with this. 2" is about the max you can add on top of your stock config. It was tight for me to fit 1" riser extensions.

The first thing I would do is replace your riser bushings....the rubber ones likey got all compressed and out of whack when your bike went down. Poly or aluminim bushings for 40 bucks might straighten out your risers.
Our son has a 2012 FXDF and is looking for just a "slight" more back towards him, you mention a "1" riser extension" - where did you get that by chance? Thanks!