Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not happy with new bags - going Leather Pro

Old 07-15-2015, 08:18 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,508 Likes on 2,133 Posts
Default Not happy with new bags - going Leather Pro

I bought a set of Fox Creek Leather slant bags w/easy brackets, and while they are great quality, I'm just not happy with the look. Not sure why, but when I look at the bike, I don't get that "warm and fuzzy" feeling like I did with other mods.

When I was originally looking at bags, I was split between these and the Leather Pros FXDXT retro bags. Now that I have these, I realize the mistake. So on the classifieds they and the brackets will go, and I'll be ordering a set of the LP's.

The next indecision will be whether to order the bags in the standard cordura or the optional leather for $200 more. ($660 vs $840) I really like the look of the cordura, but leather looks real good too. Not too worried about rain resistance, as both can be made good enough, using various treatments.

I know a couple ppl here have the leather and the cordura versions. Can anyone chime in on how they are holding up?

Old 07-15-2015, 08:47 AM
Qdog002
Stellar HDF Member
Received 866 Likes on 546 Posts

Mchad,
I have the leather version. They are only one year old and I have no regrets buying them. The reason I bought the leather version was that down the road, I didn`t want to say "I should have bought the leather ones". So I bought what I wanted. Don`t let the cost be your deciding factor. Go with what your heart wants. For me, leather is more durable than cordura, less maintenance, and looks better. But that`s me. Either way, they`re both well made and worth the money, no matter what you choose.

Old 07-15-2015, 08:53 AM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by Qdog002
Mchad,
I have the leather version. They are only one year old and I have no regrets buying them. The reason I bought the leather version was that down the road, I didn`t want to say "I should have bought the leather ones". So I bought what I wanted. Don`t let the cost be your deciding factor. Go with what your heart wants. For me, leather is more durable than cordura, less maintenance, and looks better. But that`s me. Either way, they`re both well made and worth the money, no matter what you choose.
You know, the problem is as much me, as it is my girl. Totally expecting her to say she preferred the leather, she actually likes the cordura better. Naturally I made no mention of the price of either - just a simple "take a look at these photos and tell me which you like" - so there's that. I am leaning towards the leather too. But I do like the more "modern" look of the cordura. The $180 difference isn't really a big deal, I'll already be taking such a hit on the ones I'm selling - what the hell does it matter...

Old 07-15-2015, 08:56 AM
autox42
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HEy Mchad not to go off topic to terribly but did u move your turn signals up on the fender to clear the bags?

I have a 15 fxdl and am looking at bags as well

also I like the bars you have did you have to extend the lines?

Old 07-15-2015, 09:21 AM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by autox42
HEy Mchad not to go off topic to terribly but did u move your turn signals up on the fender to clear the bags?

I have a 15 fxdl and am looking at bags as well

also I like the bars you have did you have to extend the lines?

Yep, I used a black laydown bracket from great bike gear - really nice piece. Here it is:

Bike is filthy and the chrome is covered in muck from handling with greasy hands when installing the bracket, so please ignore the mire..

Re: the bars, no I didn't need to extend. But they're only 8" rise - any more and you may need to extend...

Old 07-15-2015, 10:08 AM
jkloeker
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I personally like the Cordura better. The leather just looks dated to me for some reason. But hey, different strokes for different folks. Buy what makes you happy!

Old 07-15-2015, 10:10 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

You will love LeatherPro's FXDXT T-Sport bags. They look awesome on a Dyna, and even better, because of the hidden expansion gusset, you won't believe how much they hold.

Old 07-15-2015, 11:13 AM
izhd
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

If you ride a lot in the sun I'd get leather. You'll need to paint codur bags, since they discolorate

Old 07-15-2015, 11:20 AM
Mars47
Road Captain

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Dibs on the old bags.

Old 07-15-2015, 11:29 AM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by Mars47
Dibs on the old bags.

They'd actually look pretty good on that switcheroo-back