Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas gauge cap replacement after speedo?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 07:43 PM
apblingAEW
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Gas gauge cap replacement after speedo?

Getting the combo speedo/tach for my street bob. The left hand "fuel cap" is the gauge. Now the new speedo will have the gauge integrated. Do I just get a true gas cap to replace the fake one or is there a special part?

Old 07-16-2015, 07:48 PM
Gadgetech
Club Member
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

There are a bunch of aftermarket options you can find on Revzilla but it can be pricey. Seems like someone makes a replacement "blank" that looks like the stock chrome one.

Old 07-16-2015, 07:53 PM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team

Received 733 Likes on 504 Posts

Huh, come to think of it, with a little customizing it would be a good place to mount an oil pressure gauge!

Old 07-16-2015, 08:11 PM
apblingAEW
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Gas gauge cap replacement after speedo?

I was hoping I could just get a stock chrome cap like I have already.

Old 07-16-2015, 08:20 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,510 Likes on 2,133 Posts

Why not just leave it alone? Won't hurt anything having both... And won't cost anything.

Old 07-16-2015, 08:34 PM
Gadgetech
Club Member

Originally Posted by apblingAEW
I was hoping I could just get a stock chrome cap like I have already.
I looked at all that stuff a couple weeks ago and honestly can't remember what all I saw. Seems like I found some that would match the OEM gas cap but I looked around a minute ago and couldn't find them. I'll pad around on the interwebs some more.

Originally Posted by Mchad
Why not just leave it alone? Won't hurt anything having both... And won't cost anything.
I've read they won't both match...OCD issues right here, for me anyway. I would think the wiring for the analog fuel gauge would be needed for the digital one although I've read something else making me think they'd both work...just won't read the same fuel level.

Old 07-16-2015, 08:36 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Mchad

This is what I did.
There is also trim pieces you can get that go over your cap. Skulls, eagles, etc. You can now throw a set of them on!
By the way what gauge you end up with?

Old 07-16-2015, 08:42 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Gadgetech
I looked at all that stuff a couple weeks ago and honestly can't remember what all I saw. Seems like I found some that would match the OEM gas cap but I looked around a minute ago and couldn't find them. I'll pad around on the interwebs some more.

I've read they won't both match...OCD issues right here, for me anyway. I would think the wiring for the analog fuel gauge would be needed for the digital one although I've read something else making me think they'd both work...just won't read the same fuel level.
They do both work on mine. They read pretty darn close, but I don't sit and stare at them either. I doubt you would really notice the difference. You'll be too busy watching the scenery & your new tach!!

Gadgetech
Club Member

Here's the cheapest I could find at Revzilla but you'd have to buy the gas cap and dummy cap...about $95ish for both. And of course both are not in stock.

Revzilla

Here's an option on Dennis Kirk but again you'd need a matching gas cap.

Dennis Kirk

Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,510 Likes on 2,133 Posts

When I put the combo gauge on my '08 FXD - the digital gauge on the new gauge was pretty damn close to what was on the old analog gauge... They both run off the same sender after all. But after all this is a Harley we are talking about, and the gauges are about as accurate as reading tea leaves...

Quick Reply: Gas gauge cap replacement after speedo?