Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time to replace compensator? Question for the Forum.

Old 07-17-2015, 03:06 AM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts
Default Time to replace compensator? Question for the Forum.

2001 FXD, 50K miles. For the past couple of rides, I have noticed a very faint but noticeable noise coming from the left side that sounds like swishing steel bearings around in a tin can. After filling up in the middle of a long ride yesterday, I definitely heard a clunk when the engine started. I heard it again when I topped off before parking. Sounds somewhat like a kickback just as the engine starts. I have not heard the clunk or sound when the engine is cold.

I spent some quality time researching and all indicators point to the compensator. I am going to wander over to the local dealer tomorrow and get a new primary gasket and some oil and pull the cover and see what is going on.

If I need to replace the compensator, my part number research indicates that the same three parts, the cover with springs, the sprocket, and the cam, are the same for all models from 1996 to 2006 with the exception of touring models using a 24 tooth chain sprocket instead of a 25 tooth sprocket, but the 25 tooth sprocket was an option. That means that there are a lot of good used compensators out there that will fit my SG and are reasonably priced.

My question for the forum: I see that the 2007 and on models have a compensator setup that looks like the Screaming Eagle model. Does anyone know if the later model compensators will directly replace the older model, or if the SE part will work on the older models?

If anybody has any ideas or suggestions on things I should check while I have the primary cover off or a good compensator and chain tensioner replacement that won't break the bank, please feel free to share.

Old 07-17-2015, 05:04 AM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 651 Posts
Default Time to replace compensator? Question for the Forum.

The se kit will not work on your bike. You have to use a five speed compensator. Which is better by design anyway.

Old 07-17-2015, 07:21 AM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 201 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by misfitJason
The se kit will not work on your bike. You have to use a five speed compensator. Which is better by design anyway.
Totally correct. Forget about the junk SE comp.

Old 07-17-2015, 10:10 AM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,281 Likes on 2,349 Posts

Was just eyeballing the Baker Compensator on the net yesterday, they have one for your year and application. Once in a while I get a ratcheting sound on my 02 when starting, but no clunks. If not your compensator may want to start looking at the starter clutch, operates as a Sprague clutch, if I'm correct. That noise is also on the left side of the primary case. Good luck

Old 07-17-2015, 01:49 PM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

Yeah, I was looking at all of my options right now.

I keep reading good and bad things about the SE compensator and the reviews seem to be pretty evenly mixed with early reviews being more positive than later reviews. Anyway, it seems the SE or later model compensator models are not mechanically compatible so that leaves the choices of aftermarket compensators and tensioners and/or OEM parts.

Right now, my goal is to get the best repair in the quickest time I can. Since I am not rebuilding or going for performance improvements, I cannot see any logical justification to support going for more pricey performance parts at this time even if they are a better replacement part because I have 50K miles on the bike and I figure that it won't be too long before it is time to do a total bottom-up rebuild or trade. I will probably just go for a used low-mile complete assembly for a fast swap-n-go if I find need to replace the compensator and get a new HD replacement tensioner pad, and save the upgrades for a future rebuild.

Couple of hours and I should be back on the road...

Why do I sense Murphy lurking around?

Old 07-18-2015, 09:33 PM
dav500
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I replaced mine with one from J&P Cycles. If I remember it was around $250
Got Around 3000 miles on it, so far so good.

Old 07-18-2015, 10:15 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

From your decription it is the compensator.
when they get weak it will cut out when stzrting and can kick back through the breather when cranking. It can also when it gets real bad is a knock can occur.
i have had 2 go out on different bikes. Not that hard just time consuming mostly.