Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Cams, bike wont start

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 08:50 PM
jmeiers
Road Warrior
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by HD Pilot
The theory/reason behind aligning the oil pump after installing the cam support plate is that the cam support plate is not guaranteed to be reinstalled exactly as it was before. There is a fair amount of "slop" whenever you reinstall just about any part that has multiple fasteners - for instance the rocker covers, need to take some time to make sure they are "square" before torquing.

So back to the oil pump, the oil pump needs to be aligned with the crank shaft, NOT the cam support plate. This is why a lot of the mechs that do this for a living always align the pump per the SM after removing the cam support plate.

Now I know the S&S cam install video leaves the pump attached - have no explanation why but it seems logical to me to align the oil pump as per the SM Instructions.
When I was doing my research before my cam swap, I read that the oil pump alignment was more of a TC88 issue and even the alignment tool listings all pointed to the 88. Of course, the S&S vid and even the Fuel Moto vid make no mention of aligning the pump so I followed those and luckily had no issues. When I go with a bigger motor, I will align it then.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:00 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by jmeiers
When I was doing my research before my cam swap, I read that the oil pump alignment was more of a TC88 issue and even the alignment tool listings all pointed to the 88. Of course, the S&S vid and even the Fuel Moto vid make no mention of aligning the pump so I followed those and luckily had no issues. When I go with a bigger motor, I will align it then.
Yeah, I definately do not think this is a "slam dunk" controversy, there seems to be a lot of people on both sides. I was just pointing out the reason for doing the oil pump alignment, but I would also be interested in why someone would justify not doing it - I am all about hearing all the pros and cons, and then going with what makes sense to me.

Old 07-27-2015, 10:42 PM
Lama
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Having to try to line up two separate gerotors pumps to the crankshaft land while also trying to not **** or pinch the yellow oil pump o-ring while lining up two camshafts into two Torrington bearings....... is the primary reason to remove the cam plate separately from the oil pump.

Honestly I never heard of doing it this way, but I have read recently of fragmented oil pumps.... here at HDForums as well as HTT by people who have attempted to do a cam change leaving the oil pump on the cam plate.

I haven't heard of a instant oil pump failure doing it the other way.

I do a lot of cam changes, and just cant wrap my head around why one would want to not only view the oil pump internal condition (scoring against the cam plate) but also risk misalignment with the crank, or cutting the vital oil pump o-ring.

Old 07-28-2015, 10:46 AM
jmeiers
Road Warrior
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Lama
Having to try to line up two separate gerotors pumps to the crankshaft land while also trying to not **** or pinch the yellow oil pump o-ring while lining up two camshafts into two Torrington bearings....... is the primary reason to remove the cam plate separately from the oil pump.

Honestly I never heard of doing it this way, but I have read recently of fragmented oil pumps.... here at HDForums as well as HTT by people who have attempted to do a cam change leaving the oil pump on the cam plate.

I haven't heard of a instant oil pump failure doing it the other way.

I do a lot of cam changes, and just cant wrap my head around why one would want to not only view the oil pump internal condition (scoring against the cam plate) but also risk misalignment with the crank, or cutting the vital oil pump o-ring.
Because 2 major companies in the Harley industry (S&S and FuelMoto) both do not make mention of requiring the removal of the oil pump from the cam plate. Also, these videos have been used by countless DIY cam swappers, including myself, and I had no issues with my install leaving the oilpump attached. Most of these DIY swaps are on low mileage bikes only a few years old or less. I would not expect to encounter any issues from these bikes if it was otherwise running great prior to the install.

Maybe you should call S&S and complain about their instructions?

Last edited by jmeiers; 07-28-2015 at 10:49 AM.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:53 AM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Same here! Even though I have the alignment pins, I do not remove the pump for no reason. I have done several cam jobs without even touching the pump. Unless you want to check the rotors and replace o-rings, I don't see a point either.

Old 07-28-2015, 11:16 AM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 185 Posts

This may potentially be a sprocket alignment issue a well. I know I checked my cam and crank sprocket as instructed for tolerance before putting cam chest back on to be sure I didn't need a shim. Couldn't fit a .010 feeler gauge under strait edge and called it good.

Old 07-28-2015, 02:00 PM
WideGlideFever
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by slyedog
This may potentially be a sprocket alignment issue a well. I know I checked my cam and crank sprocket as instructed for tolerance before putting cam chest back on to be sure I didn't need a shim. Couldn't fit a .010 feeler gauge under strait edge and called it good.

I did check the sprocket alignment and was within tolerance. I couldn't honestly tell you why I was unlucky enough for this to happen. I can tell you though that the first thing the HD mechanic asked me when I dropped off my bike and explained what I was experiencing was "did you re-align the oil pump" , to which I replied....sunuvabiatch, didn't know about that!

Sounds like something that although may not totally be necessary, is probably good practice to do. If I ever decide to upgrade again, I will definitely perform this extra step.