Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Cams, bike wont start

Old 07-19-2015, 05:46 PM
WideGlideFever
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Angry New Cams, bike wont start

Well I finally got everything installed today for my cam job. It was quite a learning experience and tested my patience immensely. But today I got everything back together and buttoned up.

However, after I installed my new map for my PV and went to fire it up....no fire? The bike acts like it wants to start but never actually did. I tried giving it some gas by twisting the throttle but that made the bike "cough" and white/bluish smoke cam out of the air cleaner and the exhaust that smelled like fuel.

I double checked the plugs, exhaust (sensors hooked up), air cleaner.....not sure what else could be the issue. Maybe a plug fouled?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Old 07-19-2015, 06:23 PM
monster715
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

You 100% sure the cams and gears are in time?

Old 07-19-2015, 06:30 PM
WideGlideFever
Road Master

Originally Posted by monster715
I was just thinking about that. The cams definitely were in time with each other when I locked them down.

When I put the gears on I did have to rotate the crank a little bit to get the gears on. I got the gears in time and torqued down.

Would rotating the crank to put on the gears mess up the timing on the cams. I wouldnt think so, but now I am second guessing...

Old 07-19-2015, 06:30 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,508 Likes on 2,133 Posts

That's what it sounds like to me...

Old 07-19-2015, 06:32 PM
Red Dragons
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by WideGlideFever
I was just thinking about that. The cams definitely were in time with each other when I locked them down.

When I put the gears on I did have to rotate the crank a little bit to get the gears on. I got the gears in time and torqued down.

Would rotating the crank to put on the gears mess up the timing on the cams. I wouldnt think so, but now I am second guessing...
Yes, absolutely.

Old 07-19-2015, 06:45 PM
WideGlideFever
Road Master

Ok so bare with me on this and help me understand. When I got the cams in time, the only way I could get the gears on was to rotate the crank because of that "missing tooth" on the cam gear. Other wise there was no possible way to get the gears on.

What could have I done differently?

Old 07-19-2015, 07:00 PM
bl_dg
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Since you changed two variables at the same time, the other thing you could try is go back and download the base map (original HD) for the ignition and see if she fires up.

If you get ignition - map problem.
Still no ignition - cam problem.

Old 07-19-2015, 07:10 PM
monster715
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bl_dg
Since you changed two variables at the same time, the other thing you could try is go back and download the base map (original HD) for the ignition and see if she fires up.

If you get ignition - map problem.
Still no ignition - cam problem.
This is a good place to start, don't open it back up if you don't have to. After you rolled the gears around did you roll it back around after you torqued to verify that they're in time? If the cams were in time when you put the tensioner on then rolling the crank won't mess up the cam timing. Although when you rotated the crank you may have messed up the timing with the outer gears. It's an easy fix if it's the outer gears.

Old 07-19-2015, 07:16 PM
WideGlideFever
Road Master

This is a good place to start, don't open it back up if you don't have to. After you rolled the gears around did you roll it back around after you torqued to verify that they're in time? If the inner gears were in time when you put the tensioner on then rolling the crank won't mess up the inner gear timing. Although when you rotated the crank you may have messed up the timing with the outer gears. It's an easy fix if it's the outer gears.
I tried using my old map for my previous setup to see if that would work, no joy.

The inner gears were definitely in time when I put the tensioner on, no doubt about it. When I went to put on the outer gears, I had to rotate the cams (maybe I should stop saying crank), in order to get that missing tooth lined up. Then the outer gears were torqued down while in time.

Talking to my landlord (former mechanic) (I rent a room out here), he said it is probably a timing issue.....

I am thinking I will have to pull everything off to take a look at the outer gears.

So that I have this straight in my head....the outer gears have to be in time while on the same token the cams must remain in time (two dots facing each other)?

Old 07-19-2015, 07:19 PM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team

Received 730 Likes on 502 Posts

Say everything is correct in the timing of the cam marks, what you could be looking at is an incorrect valve adjustment. That can prevent compression due to valves being slightly open when they shouldn't be.
A compression check can verify that.

What you don't want is collision of parts in the vicinity of valves vs. pistons.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Cams, bike wont start